By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

TruckOSaurus said:

I watched a few first impressions videos and they are all extremely positive. This is going to be awesome!

Kakadu18 said:

Can't wait! This is GOTY material.

I'd be legit shocked but also would love it if Metroid Dread became a GOTY contender! Unfortunately I kind of doubt it, honestly even if it was nominated at say TGA I don't think it would be taken that seriously. But who knows! 

Around the Network

More previews

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 September 2021

RolStoppable said:

I guess we are heading for at least high 80s in review aggregates on Meta and Open. Plus any talk of other IPs doing Metroid better than Metroid should fizzle out.

I always felt the long absence of a truly good Metroid game led to a warped perception for Metroid-like indie games where they received more praise than what was warranted. This giant hole that we've had in the gaming landscape looks about to be filled next week and it should double as a reality check.

While Metroid is in my top 3 favourite gaming franchises,  you have to wear blinders (which you do) to dismiss every other games pushing the formula as if Nintendo’s take is the only one that’s worthy of praise or can’t possibly be challenged.

Many games give their own spin on the genre and some of them are arguably just as good, if not better in some aspects. 

Metroid Dread looks really promising. But it’s way too early to call the game anything definite.  

Last edited by Hynad - on 29 September 2021

Can't wait for this game. Wish I was able to secure an oled switch also but I will be playing this day 1 will fill my metroid itch(and yes most those metroidvanias ppl praise have failed scratch at itch for me)

Around the Network

If Metroid doesn't end up with a Netflix or Apple+ miniseries after this I will be surprised. I'm calling it Metroid: The Chozo Chronicles. It will be an origin story for Samus and will incorporate aspects of the manga, the games, as well as some of the more obscure lore. It will be an anime, not live action, and will have plenty of easter eggs for die hard fans.

CaptainExplosion said:
super_etecoon said:

If Metroid doesn't end up with a Netflix or Apple+ miniseries after this I will be surprised. I'm calling it Metroid: The Chozo Chronicles. It will be an origin story for Samus and will incorporate aspects of the manga, the games, as well as some of the more obscure lore. It will be an anime, not live action, and will have plenty of easter eggs for die hard fans.

But what if it was live-action but didn't suck?

In my opinion this would only work on the big screen with a large budget, a great director and cinematographer, and an amazing script.  I don't think any studio would have enough confidence in the IP...yet.  What I have been seeing with these limited series releases on the streaming services bodes well for Metroid, though.  Less risk, and more importantly, far less expectation.  Cobra Kai as a movie would have been ridiculed, but as a slow burn series it has been lauded and has only increased the mystique of the Karate Kid universe.  

What I think is really exciting about this game, though I personally have been trying to avoid spoilers, is that it seems like they are responding to a lot of the meta-criticisms of Samus Returns that people had, and not making the same mistakes again.

I hope it's true because just having played the first few hours of Samus Returns, it's good, but something was incredibly off about it.

The game was a smart choice to launch alongside the OLED; it may not be the most graphically advanced game we've seen on Switch but its use of colour and gloomy environments should play really well into the advantages of OLED technology.

It's also speaks to their confidence and commitment to the game that they chose it to headline their new model.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 September 2021

Digital versions of Dread can now be pre-loaded.