By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

Awesome game that deserves all its sales and then some.
It would be amazing if it crosses 5 million.

For me this is my favorite of the 2d Metroids, narrowly edging both Super and Fusion and its second behind Prime 1 only.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

A great game. I'm definitely conflicted. The fact that I'm questioning myself if this tops Super M for me says plenty.

It definitely deserves high sales.

I went into this game trying to keep an open mind and do my best to get as much out of it as I could, but also kind of expecting a 7/10 experience that I'd probably quit out of frustration before finishing.

Instead it blew me away and is easily among my top 10 Switch games. If it wasn't for Monster Hunter Rise this would be my GOTY.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 November 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:

Honestly, for as good as Dread's sales numbers are, I'm kinda disappointed they're not better. It seemed to be everything anyone talked about.

We don't have the complete picture yet, only Japan numbers and October numbers in the US, the former physical only. I'm gonna withhold judgement til we get the next quarterly report, but I think all things considered it seems to be off to a very strong start. This isn't Mario or Zelda after all, Metroid has always been comparatively niche.

Switch seems to have the habit of making even moderate franchises explode in sales and popularity.

I guess we all want Metroid to be bigger... But the fact that a 2D metroidvania game has managed this level of success should be applauded and hopefully means Nintendo will give it more attention going forth... And that is a win for all of us (assumedly) Metroid fans.

I have sadly not been able to give the attention it deserves in my gaming time, but hoping to get there at some point, Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Metroid Dread has been nominated for Game of the Year at the VGAs

https://nintendoeverything.com/the-game-awards-2021-nominees-announced/

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Hollow Knight sold 2.8 million and Returnal less than 1 million so far. For a game like Metroid to even dream of 5 million is absolutely enormous. Dread can be to the Metroid franchise what Awakening was to Fire Emblem.

I genuinely think this is better than Super Metroid except for the soundtrack and the storytelling (which can be a bit heavy-handed at the start). I'm glad to see it's doing well. Hopefully Nintendo won't be as dumb as they can be and order a sequel from Mercury Steam as soon as possible.

Dread could be that game not just for the Metroid franchise, but the genre as a whole.
It’s at 1 million in a month with just the US and Japan alone.
And just going of Amazon US Best Sellers, it’s been constantly hovering within the Top 20-40 even with all the sales and boosts of games like COD, Pokemon, Madden, FIFA, 2K, and Mario.
It could be the game that elevates the entire Metroidvania genre as a whole to that next level in sales and popularity.
Fitting considering it’s one of the franchises the genre was named after.
Now if only Castlevania could get that same treatment… But that would require Konami giving a shit, so… Fuck.