By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts July 2021 Discussion Thread

DitchPlaya said:

Ouch, didn't know that much of the Switch's lead was due to Japan, where as we know third-party sales are even worse. So if anything, the Switch won't hit the cliff, it'll hit it earlier.

Have you actually seen the two weeks in a row NSW dominated top 30? Have you counted how many third party games were on that list? 

I don't think you have. I mean, if you're going to troll at least try to be more subtle.

Around the Network
DitchPlaya said:

Ouch, didn't know that much of the Switch's lead was due to Japan, where as we know third-party sales are even worse. So if anything, the Switch won't hit the cliff, it'll hit it earlier.

😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 What? The switch won't hit the cliff, it'll hit it earlier? What does that mean? Is this time travel or something? 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

It's always been remarkable to me, the hate and denial that Nintendo's success inevitably generates. I mean, I don't much care for most Playstation systems but I can't say I've ever felt the need to go out of my way to bash it, hate on its fans, or constantly forecast wishful prophecies of doom. It must be an unpleasant feeling to feel threatened by a product you don't use and which doesn't materially affect your life in any way.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

It's always been remarkable to me, the hate and denial that Nintendo's success inevitably generates. I mean, I don't much care for most Playstation systems but I can't say I've ever felt the need to go out of my way to bash it, hate on its fans, or constantly forecast wishful prophecies of doom. It must be an unpleasant feeling to feel threatened by a product you don't use and which doesn't materially affect your life in any way.

Yeah, it is funny. I remember the weekly sales threads in 2017 practically always had a few posts, gushing about how the four year old PS4 outsold the brand new Switch. As if we never discussed video game hardware sales on this site and the concept of a peak is totally new to us. How often do people say these days: "Look, how the four year old Switch outsells the brand new PS5!" It seems other fanbases don't feel the need to belttle the success of Playstation as often.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison - July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 131,029 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,126,896 - Switch

Total Lead: 6,404,363 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 30,306,378

PS4 Total Sales: 23,902,015

July 2021 is the 53rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 131,029 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months, the Switch has grown its lead by 4.13 million units. The Switch currently leads by 6.40 million units.

The 53rd month on sale for the Switch is July 2021, while for the PS4 it is March 2018. The Switch has sold 30.31 million units, while the PS4 sold 23.90 million units during the same timeframe.

The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 73 where it sold a total of 31.52 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 93 months in the US and has sold 34.97 million units. The Switch is currently 4.66 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

But... I just read in this thread, that the Switch lead is due to japan mostly...

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Crazy that as recently as late 2019 PS4 was ahead, and now the Switch is leading by over 6 million.
For 32 months they danced the double helix, then Switch ignited its afterburners.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 255,974 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,665,885 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,515,057 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 23,080,537

Wii Total Sales: 27,595,594

July 2021 is the 53rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch caught up by 255,974 units when you align the launches of it with the Wii. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by just 1.67 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.52 million units.

The 53rd month for the Nintendo Switch is July 2021 and for the Wii it is April 2011. The Switch has sold 23.08 million units, while the Wii sold 27.60 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 43.

The Wii sold 33.88 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 10.80 million units to outsell the Wii.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Wii did really well in Europe for a Nintendo system, but as its legs were cut short Switch should still be able to leg it to victory.

Share the article here.

PS4 vs DS in Europe Sales Comparison – July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, that is why you see spikes and dips. The DS is the best-selling platform in Europe in the last two video game generations, while the PlayStation 4 comes in second place.

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 19,532 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,101,223 – PS4

Total Lead: 2,987,094 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 48,493,136

DS Total Sales: 51,480,230

July 2021 is the 93rd month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the PlayStation 4 has closed the gap when compared with the DS during the same timeframe by 19,532 units. The PlayStation 4 has outsold the DS by 1.10 million units in the last 12 months. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 2.99 million units.

The 93rd month on sale for the PlayStation 4 in Europe is July 2021, while for the Nintendo DS it is November 2012. The PlayStation 4 has sold 48.49 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 51.48 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current PlayStation 4 sales in month 73.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 51.84 million units lifetime in Europe. The PlayStation 4 is currently 3.35 million units behind the lifetime sales of the Nintendo DS.