By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts July 2021 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison - July 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 224,748 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,359,230 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,100,149 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 20,762,783

3DS Total Sales: 18,662,634

July 2021 is the 53rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch outsold the 3DS by 224,748 units when you align the launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 3.36 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 2.10 million units.

The 53rd month for the Switch is July 2021, while for the 3DS it is June 2015. The Switch has sold 20.76 million units, while the 3DS sold 18.66 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS did not reach current Switch sales until month 65.

The 3DS has sold 24.66 million units lifetime in Japan through July 2021. The Switch is currently 3.90 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

3.90 Million Units left - so Switch likely should overtake 3DS Lifetime Numbers in Japan March 2022 latest.

trunkswd said:
Mnementh said:

So that's over. What will we get next? It may be an interesting comparison, if Switch can beat PS4+Vita. That should be achievable, but also pretty close, so it might be an interesting comparison.

Technically the August update would be the last one for this matchup. 

Yeah, but there will ne no surprises, so we know this comparison will end soon.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
trunkswd said:

Technically the August update would be the last one for this matchup. 

Yeah, but there will ne no surprises, so we know this comparison will end soon.

Yes, very true. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

3DS's best sales are well behind it in the Japan aligned charts, from here on out the Switch should close the gap at a good clip.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US – July 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 153,831 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,523,397 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,522,043 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 30,306,378

Wii Total Sales: 34,828,421

July 2021 is the 53rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Switch has shrunk the gap with the Wii when you align the launches by 153,831 million units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 2.52 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.52 million units.

The 53rd month for the Nintendo Switch is July 2021 and for the Wii it is March 2011. The Switch has sold 30.31 million units, while the Wii sold 34.83 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 49.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 11.39 million units to outsell the Wii.

Wii is the #4 top selling system of all time in the US, so beating it is no small feat. The Switch should get there, given a strong middle to later life.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Wii is the #4 top selling system of all time in the US, so beating it is no small feat. The Switch should get there, given a strong middle to later life.

Switch will sell another 4m+ in 2021 alone, so that will leave only ~7m to close the gap completely. That's a number that is attainable within 2022, so there's a good chance that Switch will have passed the Wii by the end of 2022 already.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Ouch, didn't know that much of the Switch's lead was due to Japan, where as we know third-party sales are even worse. So if anything, the Switch won't hit the cliff, it'll hit it earlier.

User was Banned for this post - cycycychris 

Last edited by cycycychris - on 02 September 2021

DitchPlaya said:

Ouch, didn't know that much of the Switch's lead was due to Japan, where as we know third-party sales are even worse. So if anything, the Switch won't hit the cliff, it'll hit it earlier.

3rd party sales in Japan are very very healthy, you'd know that if you'd bother to take a look at the famitsu charts.

What do you gain from your trolling? Does it give you satisfaction? Do you think you're funny? Or are you just trying to twist reality to feel better because Nintendo is doing well and you have some unreasonable hatred towards them?