By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS4 shipped 117.2M by Dec 31st 2023. Will it beat Gameboy?

I still think theres enough PS4s (produced) to make it eventually break 120m.

Zippy6 said:

PS5 has killed the ps4. But it can still overtake the Gameboy. There's still GT7 and Horizon 2 launching on it so it has some support. They shipped 1.5m the first 6 months of this year so shipping another 2.5m over the next couple of years shouldn't be too hard.

120m is doable.

^ 100% this.

Even if it first happends in say 2022-2023, possibliy even 2024.
Eventually it will go past 120m.

Around the Network

I will say 118M. I think that the big PS exclusives will help PS5, not PS4.

~2M over the next year or two is probably doable, unless PS4 shipments decline to like 300K this quarter. If that happens then it isn't going up for the holidays and should only cross 118M by end of 2022. If it stays steady at 500K this quarter then I think it hits 118M by June 2022.

Don't see it passing Game Boy. PS4 should end right above 118M.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

sony cut the PS4... becasue they are smart. they arn't dropping the price so people would buy the ps5 DE instead.

Sony seems to want to support the PS4 immensely in software (hence God of War and GT 7 being cross-gen), but doesn't want to keep making the consoles much at all to provide a more entry-level PlayStation experience. I get it, they need to focus on making PS5 consoles. But I think they're missing a golden opportunity to not make more PS4 Slims than they are.
It would partially impact PS5 production, but I think PS4 could've reached 130 million if Sony made enough of them (and a price cut). I think some consumers would jump for a $200 or $250 PlayStation.
I think it's going to slightly outsell the GB+GBC, and might hit 120 million. We don't know how many Sony is still going to make and ship. I think there's at least 3 or so million left to sell though.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I think its doable.

I predicted 130 million a few years ago, I'm sure it will get there with price drops, lack of ps5 hardware, also replacements for broken consoles.

victor83fernandes said:

I predicted 130 million a few years ago, I'm sure it will get there with price drops, lack of ps5 hardware, also replacements for broken consoles.

There won't be any further price drops. They moved on to the PS5.

It’s not going to make it. It won’t have a holiday boost to speak of.

Kakadu18 said:
victor83fernandes said:

There won't be any further price drops. They moved on to the PS5.

I mean, that's probably true.

Nintendo did do this before though with the NES and Super NES. They gave those consoles their final price cuts after their successor released. However, I don't see Sony following suit.

Instead of selling the PS4 for really cheap, I think they're trying to cut their losses. I think as of August 2021, they are now just barely breaking even by a few dollars for the standard PS5. I think the digital only version is still being sold at a loss.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima