By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 Moves Up to the 17th Position (*NA)

What is the Highest Position Switch Will Reach?

The Number One Spot 2 15.38%

Second is Good Enough 8 61.54%

Third isn't Too Shabby 3 23.08%

Total:13

I've no idea what version I have. My 360 became the 'exclusives' box as I was afraid to use it :/
Then my ps3 ylod and Wii got disc read errors. It was a great gen...

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
super_etecoon said:

I do think more than any console in history that the 360 benefitted from hardware failure as a means to achieve these phenomenal numbers.  The PS2 certainly had its hiccups at launch but the RROD continued throughout the generation.  And we Americans, having grown up on American cars that always break down but that we still love and continue buying, were primed to repeat purchase the 360 umpteen times.  I'm not trying for trolling or flamebait here.  So many people in my personal world were on their 4th Xbox360 and had no problem going back to the store to buy another.  It was almost like something you just had to do. The machine and its games were that compelling to this audience.

I can't cosign on this one. I'm sure several people bought several 360s but before the 360, I was a Sony and Nintendo fan. I've said it before but the PS1 was made of potato chips and the PS2 was made of ramen noodles! It was the first time in my gaming life that I ever had a console just break on me. My PS1 eventually had to be turned upside down to play and then the "spindle" (I think that's the right word) just...fell off. The PS2 was even worse with the dreaded Disc Read Error. It was so bad that Sony actually settled a class action lawsuit. Google it! Anecdotal but I think everybody had to buy a second PS2. We just didn't know it was faulty.

It's one of the major reasons why I got an Xbox 360 in the first place. I said "I'm not paying $600 for a console that's going to break!". I got a 360 instead and, almost exactly one year later, it broke! I did get a PS3 a few months later and, five years later it broke too. The difference is that it was common knowledge that Microsoft repaired the console if you called them. Repairs didn't count as sales.

The 360 was, in my opinion, just the superior machine. Online was better. Services were better. Games mostly ran better. And it was cheaper much of the generation. Many said that we Americans were just loyal to the American console but, on paper, it was just a better buy. Nobody was a Microsoft fan or an Xbox fan when the gen started. They just did so much stuff right that gamers took notice.

You are correct wise one but only for the first 2 years or so after that the PS3 first party kicked into gear and many of the 360 3rd party exclusives came to PS3 and the 360 why still having later good games lost steam but 2007/8 was awesomely great with games like BioShock - The Orange Box - Gears - Halo 3- Blue Dragon - Dead Rising - Lost Odyssey - Forza 2 - Rainbow six Vegas -  crackdown and more.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 14 October 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

hinch said:
SvennoJ said:

Series S is now also readily available in Canada, Series X, PS5 and PS5 digital are not. I've never seen a ps5 digital anywhere, do they exist?

MS might have had higher expectations for the S model, hence why there's an abundance of stock. Maybe they'll try produce more X models to try meet demand.

No idea, not checked.. but they (both models) go out of stock pretty much within minutes of a restock :P

We don't have the breakdown for the numbers, but with every console sold out if there was any real punch to Series S it should have been oftenly sold out as well. Sure MS have overestimated S and underestimated X, but I don't think it is like S is being produced more than X (perhaps there is not such a shortage for chips for it so it so they could upscale the production of S while X wasn't possible).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mjk45 said:

You are correct wise one but only for the first 2 years or so after that the PS3 first party kicked into gear and many of the 360 3rd party exclusives came to PS3 and the 360 why still having later good games lost steam but 2007/8 was awesomely great with games like BioShock - The Orange Box - Gears - Halo 3- Blue Dragon - Dead Rising - Lost Odyssey - Forza 2 etc.

The early exclusives were what sold me on the Xbox 360. A lot were timed and were available even before PC and some remained exclusive to that platform.

They basically did a Sony and hatted a lot of big publishers/devs - including 2K Games (Irrational Games), EA (Bioware), Bethesda, Capcom, Remedy etc. And with PS3 struggling in the first couple of years, it worked in with MS's favour with them gaining huge market-share in the console space.

Really miss those years of gaming as there were so many new and fresh ideas and IP's. If we're lucky now, we'd be lucky to get one new IP from these big publishers.

hinch said:
mjk45 said:

You are correct wise one but only for the first 2 years or so after that the PS3 first party kicked into gear and many of the 360 3rd party exclusives came to PS3 and the 360 why still having later good games lost steam but 2007/8 was awesomely great with games like BioShock - The Orange Box - Gears - Halo 3- Blue Dragon - Dead Rising - Lost Odyssey - Forza 2 etc.

The early exclusives were what sold me on the Xbox 360. A lot were timed and were available even before PC and some remained exclusive to that platform.

They basically did a Sony and hatted a lot of big publishers/devs - including 2K Games (Irrational Games), EA (Bioware), Bethesda, Capcom, Remedy etc. And with PS3 struggling in the first couple of years, it worked in with MS's favour with them gaining huge market-share in the console space.

Really miss those years of gaming as there were so many new and fresh ideas and IP's. If we're lucky now, we'd be lucky to get one new IP from these big publishers.

agreed fuck the time wasted on remasters and remakes

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
hinch said:
mjk45 said:

Yes around that time I had 80 odd 360 games and about 10 PS3 games at the end of the gen it was more like 95 odd 360 games and close to 250 - 300 PS3  games

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
hinch said:

Yes around that time I had 80 odd 360 games and about 10 PS3 games at the end of the gen it was more like 95 odd 360 games and close to 250 - 300 PS3  games

Times are a changing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
hinch said:

MS might have had higher expectations for the S model, hence why there's an abundance of stock. Maybe they'll try produce more X models to try meet demand.

No idea, not checked.. but they (both models) go out of stock pretty much within minutes of a restock :P

We don't have the breakdown for the numbers, but with every console sold out if there was any real punch to Series S it should have been oftenly sold out as well. Sure MS have overestimated S and underestimated X, but I don't think it is like S is being produced more than X (perhaps there is not such a shortage for chips for it so it so they could upscale the production of S while X wasn't possible).

I'll be interested to see how this holiday season goes. Series S will be the only console of those released within the past year (PS5, XB Series, Switch OLED) that will be mostly available in stores this holiday. Plus it's the cheapest of the bunch, so an ideal choice for casuals/parents. MS is in great position to clean up.

But if Series S sales still lag even in this situation, that doesn't bode well for that console's future imo.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Everything is always sold out around here. Haven’t seen an X or PS5 in person since last year. Stores routinely get shipments of Series S and they sell out almost immediately. Never seems like they’re huge shipments, like 2-6 per store.

kenjab said:
DonFerrari said:

I'll be interested to see how this holiday season goes. Series S will be the only console of those released within the past year (PS5, XB Series, Switch OLED) that will be mostly available in stores this holiday. Plus it's the cheapest of the bunch, so an ideal choice for casuals/parents. MS is in great position to clean up.

But if Series S sales still lag even in this situation, that doesn't bode well for that console's future imo.

If Japan is any indication, over there they are shipping twice as many Series S as X