By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 Moves Up to the 17th Position (*NA)

What is the Highest Position Switch Will Reach?

The Number One Spot 2 15.38%

Second is Good Enough 8 61.54%

Third isn't Too Shabby 3 23.08%

Total:13
Kyuu said:

I think Switch will outsell PS5 in December and make up for potentially losing October and November. But it's the last quarter where it beats PS5 in the US, and maybe the last holiday season it beats Series XS.

Looks like Switch surprisingly (if barely) lost to PS5 in global shipments for July-September despite dominating Japan, and now Nintendo revised their forecast from 21 million down to 19 million units for the end of the fiscal year. It's starting to feel that Switch 2 will come out a little bit sooner than some expectations and/or that Nintendo will suffer what Sony have and not be able to produce enough units for both Switch 1 and 2 (hopefully it won't be a half assed "Switch Pro"). COVID effects will mostly be gone by then so it shouldn't be as bad.

It's interesting how quickly this FY has shifted from looking like a dominant Nintendo year to Sony potentially managing a near-tie. Nintendo expect 19 million, Sony expect to beat their 18 million forecast. For Sony to succeed, they're going to have to comfortably beat Nintendo globally from here on out. On second thought, they may lose the holidays and reduce the gap with a very strong FYQ4.

I said the upcoming quarter will be the last where Nintendo beats Sony in the US, but it turns out Nintendo already lost the last quarter "globally", which is generally advantageous for Switch knowing Japan acts as a region for Nintendo vs a mere country for Sony.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 08 November 2022

Around the Network

nvm. meant to edit.

The Switch will barely beat the PS5 this holiday season, and this is the last holiday season the Switch will sell the most.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

PS5 easy, as Switch starts to feel very outdated, and declining, and PS5 will have much more stocks for the Holiday Season.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

It's all about PS5 stocks. Can Sony deliver enough PS5?
Yes: It will win, easy.
No: switch takes the cake.

Around the Network

There is no position change since the last updates.  OP has been brought up to date with current sales numbers.  

This was the 2nd poll in the thread:

This poll was made in the 2022 when it appeared the Xbox would overtake the PS5 for North America, but it was not to be.  With adjustments being made, and an increase in inventories, not only was the PS5 able to reverse the Xbox Series consoles closing the gap, it was able to increase their lead.  

Regarding the poll, the nevers have it for the 2022 year, well done!  

The PS5 will soon be taking over the 20th position, and it's lead over the Xbox Series is now ~1.28 million.  

...and not going unnoticed is the Nintendo Switch.

Making the top 5 is no easy task, unless you are Nintendo.  Nintendo currently holds 3 of the top 5 spots and will be bumping down one of its own.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

As of Dec 17th 2022 hardware updates:

Nintendo Switch has moved up a spot to 5th, knocking down the Gameboy.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:

As of Dec 17th 2022 hardware updates:

Nintendo Switch has moved up a spot to 5th, knocking down the Gameboy.

It's gonna surpass both the Wii and Xbox 360 this year.

The PlayStation 5 has passed the GameCube capturing the 20th position!

The PS4 and the Xbox One console images have been removed from the OP leaderboard, but will still receive updates if and when their position gets lowered.  

The Nintendo Switch has advanced a position to the 4th spot.

Not to be left behind, the PS5 has surpassed the OG Xbox for the 19th placement.

No advancement since the last update for the Series X/S consoles.