By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 Moves Up to the 17th Position (*NA)

What is the Highest Position Switch Will Reach?

The Number One Spot 2 15.38%

Second is Good Enough 8 61.54%

Third isn't Too Shabby 3 23.08%

Total:13
mjk45 said:
d21lewis said:

I can't cosign on this one. I'm sure several people bought several 360s but before the 360, I was a Sony and Nintendo fan. I've said it before but the PS1 was made of potato chips and the PS2 was made of ramen noodles! It was the first time in my gaming life that I ever had a console just break on me. My PS1 eventually had to be turned upside down to play and then the "spindle" (I think that's the right word) just...fell off. The PS2 was even worse with the dreaded Disc Read Error. It was so bad that Sony actually settled a class action lawsuit. Google it! Anecdotal but I think everybody had to buy a second PS2. We just didn't know it was faulty.

It's one of the major reasons why I got an Xbox 360 in the first place. I said "I'm not paying $600 for a console that's going to break!". I got a 360 instead and, almost exactly one year later, it broke! I did get a PS3 a few months later and, five years later it broke too. The difference is that it was common knowledge that Microsoft repaired the console if you called them. Repairs didn't count as sales.

The 360 was, in my opinion, just the superior machine. Online was better. Services were better. Games mostly ran better. And it was cheaper much of the generation. Many said that we Americans were just loyal to the American console but, on paper, it was just a better buy. Nobody was a Microsoft fan or an Xbox fan when the gen started. They just did so much stuff right that gamers took notice.

You are correct wise one but only for the first 2 years or so after that the PS3 first party kicked into gear and many of the 360 3rd party exclusives came to PS3 and the 360 why still having later good games lost steam but 2007/8 was awesomely great with games like BioShock - The Orange Box - Gears - Halo 3- Blue Dragon - Dead Rising - Lost Odyssey - Forza 2 etc.

Agreed. I absolutely loved my PS1 and PS2 but the main draw was the third party stuff. I had a handful of games made by Sony (Ape Escape, Omega Boost, the Crash games, God of War, and a few others) but they were always second to my Street Fighters, Metal Gears, Resident Evils, and such. With the PS3, Sony took charge and started making games that were absolutely at the top of the industry.

I still gravitated towards Xbox but Sony couldn't be denied. In my house, the PlayStation 3 was the "Exclusives machine" and the Xbox was for everything else.

Around the Network
kenjab said:
DonFerrari said:

We don't have the breakdown for the numbers, but with every console sold out if there was any real punch to Series S it should have been oftenly sold out as well. Sure MS have overestimated S and underestimated X, but I don't think it is like S is being produced more than X (perhaps there is not such a shortage for chips for it so it so they could upscale the production of S while X wasn't possible).

I'll be interested to see how this holiday season goes. Series S will be the only console of those released within the past year (PS5, XB Series, Switch OLED) that will be mostly available in stores this holiday. Plus it's the cheapest of the bunch, so an ideal choice for casuals/parents. MS is in great position to clean up.

But if Series S sales still lag even in this situation, that doesn't bode well for that console's future imo.

People say the Series S is a great system but I absolutely don't want one and I'm an Xbox fan. Not knowing that it's a lesser experience. That FoMO is real! I'd rather go without. Sad thing is I'll probably still buy one but not until after I can get a Series X--which hasn't happened yet. I wonder if others feel the same way--just waiting for a Series X to be readily available.

Then again, my love for gaming has diminished so much since the start of this generation, who knows?

d21lewis said:
kenjab said:

I'll be interested to see how this holiday season goes. Series S will be the only console of those released within the past year (PS5, XB Series, Switch OLED) that will be mostly available in stores this holiday. Plus it's the cheapest of the bunch, so an ideal choice for casuals/parents. MS is in great position to clean up.

But if Series S sales still lag even in this situation, that doesn't bode well for that console's future imo.

People say the Series S is a great system but I absolutely don't want one and I'm an Xbox fan. Not knowing that it's a lesser experience. That FoMO is real! I'd rather go without. Sad thing is I'll probably still buy one but not until after I can get a Series X--which hasn't happened yet. I wonder if others feel the same way--just waiting for a Series X to be readily available.

Then again, my love for gaming has diminished so much since the start of this generation, who knows?

Considering you buy multiples systems per gen, even from same maker, I think you would benefit for getting S for now until X is made easy to find.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

d21lewis said:
kenjab said:

Same thing happened with me with XBox One S and One X. The One S was the perfect system, until the One X was announced right after... One X was a bit too pricy for my liking (here in Canada) while the One S just felt inferior. So I played the games on PC lol.

The Xbox Series S is just cheaper and easier to mass produce... You can get many many many more chips per wafer than a Series X or Playstation 5, hence why it seems they are able to flood the marketplace with them. (Because they CAN!)
Especially as we are in a chip crunch, the more Series S they can produce and potentially sell in volume as we enter the 9th gens second year/holiday season, the better.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

The Xbox Series S is just cheaper and easier to mass produce... You can get many many many more chips per wafer than a Series X or Playstation 5, hence why it seems they are able to flood the marketplace with them. (Because they CAN!)
Especially as we are in a chip crunch, the more Series S they can produce and potentially sell in volume as we enter the 9th gens second year/holiday season, the better.

It probably is easier to mass produce. But well, if the spread in Japan is similar for the rest of the world (and I believe it is), Series X is shipped/sold twice as much as Series S, and still there is shortage of X and surpluss of S. So even though it is a good proposition to get a S and GP for people with less room on their budget, the market haven`t been so warm with it yet at least. Perhaps the GP Ultimate with Xcloud will make it a little redundant.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Shadow1980 said:

It's hard to make any definitive statements on the state of the sales race between PS & Xbox for this generation because it's still more of a supply issue than a demand issue. But once the chip shortages are over and the Series X|S starts to really benefit from MS's various acquisitions, I think we should see a very close race in the U.S., Canada, UK, and other Xbox-friendly markets. It wouldn't even surprise me if the Series X|S squeaked out a narrow victory in the U.S.

*Edited for clarification.

Um, I think you were a regular member of the npd predictions threads on Era.

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

It probably is easier to mass produce. But well, if the spread in Japan is similar for the rest of the world (and I believe it is), Series X is shipped/sold twice as much as Series S, and still there is shortage of X and surpluss of S. So even though it is a good proposition to get a S and GP for people with less room on their budget, the market haven`t been so warm with it yet at least. Perhaps the GP Ultimate with Xcloud will make it a little redundant.

Japan is not a territory that I would use to ascertain sales/success/popularity/anything to do with Xbox. It's never been an Xbox territory even when the console was dominating elsewhere.

Obviously Series S vs Series X's success will vary from region to region, especially in low vs high income nations.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

Japan is not a territory that I would use to ascertain sales/success/popularity/anything to do with Xbox. It's never been an Xbox territory even when the console was dominating elsewhere.

Obviously Series S vs Series X's success will vary from region to region, especially in low vs high income nations.

Fair point.  But at least on my thinking I always thought something like 2/3 X, 1/3 S for Xbox and 1/5 Digital and 4/5 Physical for PS5 at least in the start. During gen if one or another  makes more success sure production will increase accordingly to that.

Brazil would be a "low income nation" if we look at per capita, and even here for some reason (GP seems like very successful and Ultimate for Cloud as well) the Series S is also the one that is regularly available in stores while the other 3 is like one batch a month on sale for 2h. I don't think there were ever a gen like this, even gen 7 it was only Wii that was constrained for such a long time. Gen 8 Xbox was constrained only on the Holiday launch, but in January was already possible to find in stores (some countries even had day one editions in March), PS4 had been on regular supply by April or so in most countries and Switch was like 1 year more or less of constrained. I'm really curious to see if AMD boss was right with the second semester of 2022 having the consoles not being supply constrained anymore and how everything will change with that (distribution per models, per region, and gap between plaftorms in those regions and WW).

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

Fair point.  But at least on my thinking I always thought something like 2/3 X, 1/3 S for Xbox and 1/5 Digital and 4/5 Physical for PS5 at least in the start. During gen if one or another  makes more success sure production will increase accordingly to that.

Brazil would be a "low income nation" if we look at per capita, and even here for some reason (GP seems like very successful and Ultimate for Cloud as well) the Series S is also the one that is regularly available in stores while the other 3 is like one batch a month on sale for 2h. I don't think there were ever a gen like this, even gen 7 it was only Wii that was constrained for such a long time. Gen 8 Xbox was constrained only on the Holiday launch, but in January was already possible to find in stores (some countries even had day one editions in March), PS4 had been on regular supply by April or so in most countries and Switch was like 1 year more or less of constrained. I'm really curious to see if AMD boss was right with the second semester of 2022 having the consoles not being supply constrained anymore and how everything will change with that (distribution per models, per region, and gap between plaftorms in those regions and WW).

I would not be surprised if supply constraints continue into 2023... Fabs don't get built super quickly unfortunately... But once we head into 2024 and 2025, we will have an influx of fab capacity, which should place downward price pressures with some luck.

AMD's wafer supply could continue to be eaten up by GPU (Radeon, FirePro etc') and CPU (Ryzen 6000 series with extra 3D cache.) in 2023.
Remember TSMC's biggest customer (Apple) moved on from 7nm and that freed capacity didn't improve supply constraints on CPU's, GPU's and APU's much... So a late 2022 could see improved capacity, but I would imagine supply constraints would definitely continue to exist as new state of the art fabs haven't come online... The bet is for other markets to move from 7nm to 5nm, giving more capacity to the consoles.

Plus consoles need more than just the APU, they do need GDDR6 memory chips, NAND chips, NAND Controller (With Ram), Optical drive controller (With Ram), South Bridge, Powersupply components and IC's, Ethernet controller, Regulators, Capacitors, Resistors, LED's and more.

Any shortage on one of those components will hold back the production of consoles.

Ironically, this is one instance where Nintendo's insistence of using older/outdated technology has paid off in spades.