By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 Moves Up to the 17th Position (*NA)

What is the Highest Position Switch Will Reach?

The Number One Spot 2 15.38%

Second is Good Enough 8 61.54%

Third isn't Too Shabby 3 23.08%

Total:13
zero129 said:

Look a few posts up and back in this thread, then go into other sales threads and then look at the new sales article on this site and you will even see one user convincing himself VGCharts are making xbox sales higher as some kind of agenda against PS and its fans.

just let it pass

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 22 December 2021

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:

I'm thinking about picking up the Series S, I see Gamestop will give $200 for my old Xbox one S, so for a $100 plus tax that isn't too bad. It's not really a need, and I don't play enough Xbox to justify buying the Series X.

Gamestop putting themselves out of business lol. Well rather, they need more disc drive models to sell to stay in business.

Get a Series S, unless you really must have crisp textures while sitting close to a 4K tv, it's perfectly fine. There isn't that much difference in quality settings, you're just paying for the higher resolution (and bigger SSD and disc drive of course)

I'm back to FH5, it seems the online no traffic bug has been fixed (it's back, oh well easier speed traps) and the weather has also become more active (maybe its the season in game). I'm also not getting stutters and freezes anymore. All fixed while playing Halo Infinite and finishing up FH4.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 22 December 2021

eva01beserk said:
d21lewis said:

I think we get a repeat of the 7th gen. Xbox wins NA. PlayStation wins the world.

I dont know about that. We have to see if this momentum stays after the hollidays. Cus we have seen how xbox spikes during hollidays gains some ground the slowes down right after and PlayStation gains ground again. Or if the ground gained during the holidays outpaces the ground Sony takes back the rest of the year. 

Anything can happen but I'm seeing and feeling a real synergy and excitement behind the Xbox brand lately. Something I haven't seeing since the days of Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4. There's probably going to be stock issues for a long time and, to be honest, you don't even need an Xbox to play Xbox games but yeah, it feels like there's something in the air this generation. 

Time is a teller of things...

d21lewis said:

I think we get a repeat of the 7th gen. Xbox wins NA. PlayStation wins the world.

I'll fix your statement:

"Xbox wins NA. Wii wins the world."

The Xbox One did pretty well against the PS4 in NA, all things considered. Don't think the 360 market share in NA will return, but the Series S/X in NA should come pretty close to the PS5's total.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Updates have been made for the Dec. 18th hardware numbers.

A nice milestone for the PS5.

The Playstation 5 has moved up to the 21st position, knocking down the Wii U. Nothing but clean air in front of it for 6 million plus console sales, before meeting up with its next rival the GameCube.

Gap between the PS5 and Xbox Series is 660,000.

Nintendo's Switch is closing in on Sony's PS4.  The gap is shrinking quickly down to a mere 840,000. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Updates have been made up to Jan 8th 2022.  

The Xbox Series consoles have moved up to the 22nd position knocking the Wii U down to 23rd.

And after adjustments and updates to the PS5 and Xbox Series numbers, the PS5 has extended its lead over the Xbox Series to 700,000.

The Switch still remains in 9th but will soon be moving up.

*Updates referenced in the OP and posts are based on VG Chartz hardware number charts that are still showing PS5 over tracked. Hopefully in time, the charts will reflect the best possible estimations from the available data.

It has been a while since there has been any updates worth mentioning, but here we go. It took a lot longer than I thought it would for the Switch to pass the PS4 but it finally happened. Originally thought it would occur at the end of January.

The gap between the PS5 and Xbox Series hardware sales is shrinking at a steady rate and may be smaller than what is reflected in the charts.  But it does seem inevitable with current supply chains, that the PS5 will be overtaken.  

I will try to add some spice to this thread during the times that no position changes are occurring to keep it more active.  One way to do this is by adding a poll to the thread, that I will archive in some way after some time has passed and add new polls with the ebb and flow of the North American hardware news.

oops...forgot to mention
Poll was added.

Don't forget to vote and leave a comment to be entered into the contest for your chance to win my appreciation.

Well, managed to get at least half the members on the site to vote, now if we can just get the other 9, myself included then we'll have a full complete poll.