By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 Moves Up to the 17th Position (*NA)

What is the Highest Position Switch Will Reach?

The Number One Spot 2 15.38%

Second is Good Enough 8 61.54%

Third isn't Too Shabby 3 23.08%

Total:13

A slow motion play-by-play position called race is what this will be.  No detailed charts or overly complicated analysis from my part (feel free to add your own).  North American platform numbers will be the only thing tracked (*Canada and USA).  Guesses on which weeks, months, or years on which platform will overtake another is welcome.  I will update positions as they change and they will be based on VGChartz's charts.

Cracking into a top 5 spot appears to be feat that was only achievable in the past, much less making the podium of the top 3. But it would be exciting to see that change.

As more horses enter the race in time, more positions will be tracked, but for now it will just be the top 29 that data is provided for. For example: Sega Saturn is tracking in last place in the 29th spot, but that will drop to 30th when Switch 2 enters and so on and so forth for other hardware down the road. 

There are times that a platform moves up some spots or others get knocked down a peg and no mention is made of it.  Purpose of thread is to make those mentions.

Thread title is subject to change as updates occur.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 03 October 2022

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

As of Dec. 30th 2023 Hardware update

Current competitors:

3rd         17th  

21st

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 18 January 2024

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Dec 30th 2023

Previous Polls:

4-2-22

4-18-22

1-1-23

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 18 January 2024

Doesnt look like PS4 or XBO will gain any more positions.

Switch will pass NES in 5 weeks, & will be closing in fast on PS4 by the end of the year (if it doesnt pass it in December it will in January)
GBA & PS should be overtaken in the first half of 2022, and GB during holiday quarter. There is a chance it could catch the Wii in 2022 if the momentum continues after this year, but I am doubtful so would expect it to be 2023.
passing the X360 will depend on when Switch runs out of steam, I think it's about 50/50 at the moment as my expected LTD for Switch is 45-55million for NA

PS5 & XS/X should end the year around Wii U level (currently I would expect PS5 to move up into 21st, then Wii U then XS/X in 23rd) Little early to tell when will happen next year, both will definately be over Wii U of course, & both have a chance at overtaking the GC, but XB is out of reach.

---------

Not the focus of your thread, but In the end for Switch I am expecting it to be:
3rd overall for North America
5th in Europe (between PS3 & GB, though obviously the PS5 will eventually push it down to 6th)
3rd in Japan
might clinch 2nd in the RoW region, but PS5 could best it here as in Europe.

The Playstation 5 has moved up to the 23rd spot bumping down the Atari 7800 into the 24th spot. All other consoles remained in the same position.

Around the Network

Goal achieved, we can move onto the PlayStation 6 now.

In two weeks the Switch should pass the NES.

Kakadu18 said:

In two weeks the Switch should pass the NES.

One week down, one to go.  Absolutely.

The Nintendo Switch has taken 9th place bumping the NES down to 10th. How long will it take to reach the PS4?

DroidKnight said:

The Nintendo Switch has taken 9th place bumping the NES down to 10th. How long will it take to reach the PS4?

Thinking summer 2022.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"