By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts June 2021 Discussion Thread

If this is any indication, in the past Sony have discontinued their systems when their last year has been between 200 and 500k units for the year (not that they were waiting exactly for these numbers but just saying), therefore PS4 should live at least until end of next year.



Around the Network
yo33331 said:

If this is any indication, in the past Sony have discontinued their systems when their last year has been between 200 and 500k units for the year (not that they were waiting exactly for these numbers but just saying), therefore PS4 should live at least until end of next year.

Yeah if I had to guess I'd say PS4 will probably be discontinued in 2023.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Hey @trunkswd is it possible if official data for PS2 is given maybe to change the platform numbers about it ?
https://web.archive.org/web/20120609180536/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_sale_e.html
Here is official page of sony that is showing that PS2 sold another 4.1M in the FY after the famous 6.4M FY that is presented almost in every website for last official data from sony about PS2. With those 4.1 of the FY 2011 (which ends at March 2012) PS2 is reaching 157.30. So I don't know why everywhere the official PS2 number is 155M when sony is giving official info for it's last full FY doing 4.10M. When you add that up to the previous 153.20M number from march 2011, you get 157.30. From there it's pretty easy to suggest PS2 had made at least around 2M more making the total number somewhere in the 159-160M range.

*Edit: I found a way for the exact PS2 numbers made in FY2012

For the FY2012 (ending in march 2013) Sony has given official info that has sold 16.5M home consoles.

We know that ending FY11 Sony had sold 63.9M PS3s.

https://gamingbolt.com/sony-fy12-report-ps3-sells-63-9-million-units-sales-down-across-the-board (don't know why the title on this article is FY12, but is really FY11, because FY11 ends in 2012, and FY12 ends in 2013)

We Know that PS3 have sold around 77M units in around the time april 2013 has begun since from this article the numbers should be by start of april

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/250980/playstation-3-lifetime-sales-overtakes-the-xbox-360/

therefore 77M-63.9 gives us number of 13M so 16.5M - 13 will give the PS2 around 3M more, therefore the PS2 with having 157.30M and those 3M is breaking the 160M barrier.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 09 August 2021

Share the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells Xbox One in the US

This monthly series compares the lifetime US sales of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 486,484 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,445,811 - Switch

Total Lead: 302,331 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 29,905,942

Xbox One Total Sales: 29,603,611

June 2021 is the 52nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. In the last month the Switch outsold the Xbox One by 486,484 units and by 8.45 million units in the last 12 months.

The Switch in June 2021 outsold the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US and is ahead by 302,331 units and growing.

The Xbox One launched in the US in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. To date the Switch has sold 29.91 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 29.60 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 9.16 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 20.75 million units through 51 months.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

It finally happened.



Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells Xbox One in the US

This monthly series compares the lifetime US sales of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 486,484 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,445,811 - Switch

Total Lead: 302,331 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 29,905,942

Xbox One Total Sales: 29,603,611

June 2021 is the 52nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. In the last month the Switch outsold the Xbox One by 486,484 units and by 8.45 million units in the last 12 months.

The Switch in June 2021 outsold the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US and is ahead by 302,331 units and growing.

The Xbox One launched in the US in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. To date the Switch has sold 29.91 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 29.60 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 9.16 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 20.75 million units through 51 months.

And thus, the Xbone's last stronghold fell, and the Switch's victory was complete across all the lands.

So now this one is over, can we get Xbox Series vs 3DS to replace it? That should be an interesting one.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells Xbox One in the US

This monthly series compares the lifetime US sales of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 486,484 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,445,811 - Switch

Total Lead: 302,331 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 29,905,942

Xbox One Total Sales: 29,603,611

June 2021 is the 52nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. In the last month the Switch outsold the Xbox One by 486,484 units and by 8.45 million units in the last 12 months.

The Switch in June 2021 outsold the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US and is ahead by 302,331 units and growing.

The Xbox One launched in the US in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. To date the Switch has sold 29.91 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 29.60 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 9.16 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 20.75 million units through 51 months.

And thus, the Xbone's last stronghold fell, and the Switch's victory was complete across all the lands.

So now this one is over, can we get Xbox Series vs 3DS to replace it? That should be an interesting one.

I'll get to adding Xbox Series X|S vs 3DS, though, I have a feeling people will be confused as to why I made that one as it is comparing a console with a handheld from a different company. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

And thus, the Xbone's last stronghold fell, and the Switch's victory was complete across all the lands.

So now this one is over, can we get Xbox Series vs 3DS to replace it? That should be an interesting one.

I'll get to adding Xbox Series X|S vs 3DS, though, I have a feeling people will be confused as to why I made that one as it is comparing a console with a handheld from a different company. 

My reasoning for it was that if Xbox Series does end up selling better than the Xbox One, then the 3DS is the next system up that we have tracking data for.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - June 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 259,023 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,749,946 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,681,329 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 22,756,997

Wii Total Sales: 27,438,326

June 2021 is the 52nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch caught up by 259,023 units when you align the launches of it with the Wii. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by just 1.75 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.68 million units.

The 52nd month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2021 and for the Wii it is March 2011. The Switch has sold 22.76 million units, while the Wii sold 27.44 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 42.

The Wii sold 33.88 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 11.12 million units to outsell the Wii.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

So Switch is basically 2/3 of the way to Wii's total sales in Europe after just over 4 years.
Wii's legs weren't great though so as long as Switch isn't replaced next year it should overtake in the end.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.