By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve releasing Switch competitor SteamDeck Dec 2021, $399, Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 GPU

https://youtu.be/4Dd_bazOYOY

Digital foundry did a wierd analysis on this. They dint have the unit but analised the video of ign and valve.

I guess their opinion could change when they get the actual unit and test it themselves. But as of now they claim its a 720p console. They say the memory bandwidth is half that of the ps4 wich shows the results. And that that 1.6 ghz of the GPU might not be realistic or constant with that 15 wats tdp. So this at least on handheld mode is weaker than an x1. 

Have to see it docked. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:

Digital foundry did a wierd analysis on this. They dint have the unit but analised the video of ign and valve.

I guess their opinion could change when they get the actual unit and test it themselves. But as of now they claim its a 720p console. They say the memory bandwidth is half that of the ps4 wich shows the results. And that that 1.6 ghz of the GPU might not be realistic or constant with that 15 wats tdp. So this at least on handheld mode is weaker than an x1. 

Have to see it docked. 

Can you tell me where they said it's weaker than an x1 cause I don't recall but it is a long video so I may have missed it.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

ironmanDX said:
hinch said:

Uh.. okay?

I also live in Australia... Undecided if you should have my sympathy or not.

No we need solidarity or it will lead to Steam Deck begging.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Captain_Yuri said:
eva01beserk said:

Have to see it docked. 

Can you tell me where they said it's weaker than an x1 cause I don't recall but it is a long video so I may have missed it.

They said its runing console settinga at 720p. They dint specifically said its weaker. It's my take. But again its on handheld mode. I'm sure it can do better like the switch docked. 

But that memory bandwidth is what I'm concern with. I'm not expert on this but if the GPU can match the ps4 but the bandwidth can't what will the bottle neck if any affect performance? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Captain_Yuri said:

They said its runing console settinga at 720p. They dint specifically said its weaker. It's my take. But again its on handheld mode. I'm sure it can do better like the switch docked. 

But that memory bandwidth is what I'm concern with. I'm not expert on this but if the GPU can match the ps4 but the bandwidth can't what will the bottle neck if any affect performance? 

Afaik, there won't be a difference in performance between docked vs battery. I believe they mentioned that as it will be 15 watts max all the time. It is able to run Control at low settings at 30fps which apparently is "console equivalent" according to DF. The key thing they iterated is that they aren't actually sure how it's going to run and yea, the 15 watt is concerning but also remember that RDNA 2 is significantly more efficient than Vega/GCN ever was. So it's one of those wait and see. But I highly doubt it will be weaker than x1 based on the tests they have shown so far.

I wouldn't worry about the bandwidth. At 88GB/s with RDNA 2 that has Delta Color Compression and etc, it requires much less bandwidth than GCN ever did. Hence why so many people are impressed if you look at various articles and sites talking about it. DF was also impressed with the bandwidth that it got. You combine that with that fact that it targets 720p where as a PS4/X1 tries to target 1080p, it will be plenty.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
hinch said:

Uh.. okay?

Since not asking why shows your an evil hinch who lacks sensitivity toward my tragic circumstances, I have decided to punish your behaviour by forcing my story upon with the knowledge that it will cause you deep emotional distress and have you weeping in despair ,those circumstances are such that I would die for the chance to wait 40 minutes since you cannot pre order the Steam Deck in Australia

Ah wasn't aware it wasn't available in Australia o_O That sucks... maybe you can find someone who can get it and ship it for you.

And who knows, maybe Valve will start shipping to Aus next year when most batches are going out.

hinch said:
mjk45 said:

Since not asking why shows your an evil hinch who lacks sensitivity toward my tragic circumstances, I have decided to punish your behaviour by forcing my story upon with the knowledge that it will cause you deep emotional distress and have you weeping in despair ,those circumstances are such that I would die for the chance to wait 40 minutes since you cannot pre order the Steam Deck in Australia

Ah wasn't aware it wasn't available in Australia o_O That sucks... maybe you can find someone who can get it and ship it for you.

And who knows, maybe Valve will start shipping to Aus next year when most batches are going out.

I have decided to swim across the ditch to New Zealand and steal Gabes Deck.

That could work too

hinch said:

That could work too

Yep I'm off to Steam to pre-order some tape and plastic bags for the deck because Valves bad design doesn't allow for electronics mixing with water, also some floaties, another essential peripheral for poor swimmers like me engaging in Tasman Sea crossings to New Zealand.

Before anyone cries that my expedition is a one off and Valve couldn't have possibly foreseen the situation, my response is the Steam Survey clearly shows that bathtub gaming sessions are now the hallmark of modern gaming on the go.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 22 July 2021

mjk45 said:

Yep I'm off to Steam to pre-order some tape and plastic bags for the deck because Valves bad design doesn't allow for electronics mixing with water, also some floaties, another essential peripheral for poor swimmers like me engaging in Tasman Sea crossings to New Zealand.

Before anyone cries that my expedition is a one off and Valve couldn't have possibly foreseen the situation, my response is the Steam Survey clearly shows that bathtub gaming sessions are now the hallmark of modern gaming on the go.

You are braver than most men, including myself. I Wouldn't even let my phone near water, let alone in a plastic waterproof case.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"