By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve releasing Switch competitor SteamDeck Dec 2021, $399, Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 GPU

RolStoppable said:

Poor specs for a high asking price. The size makes it clunky and heavy, the position of the control inputs is awkward, the storage solution is poor, battery life is terrible.

I guess the people who get excited for this only looked at processing power and forgot about all the rest.

I kind of agree with you. It will be acceptable in docked mode, but handheld mode needs a great ergonomic design, it can't be heavy (it is almost twice as heavy as a switch with joycons attached .88lbs vs 1.47lbs) and should have a decent autonomy (battery life). At 2-8 hours of play time, with many power-hungry games most likely lasting 2 hours, it is not looking promising for portability.  Hopefully people will give them honest feedback since this is a first iteration and already sold out.

For those who just want an inexpensive gaming pc that they will mostly dock and sometimes move around the house a bit, it is a decent formula for all else than weight. For example the WiiU gamepad was 1.1 lbs and I don't particularly remember being too satisfied about the weight.

Around the Network

This seems like a very nice piece of hardware. While I'm not interested it's good that people who'd want something like this now have a capable option that isn't pricey. That level of specs for that price is a great deal and it's cool that a portable device a fair amount more capable than the PS4 is now possible without being expensive.

RolStoppable said:

Poor specs for a high asking price. The size makes it clunky and heavy, the position of the control inputs is awkward, the storage solution is poor, battery life is terrible.

I guess the people who get excited for this only looked at processing power and forgot about all the rest.

You just gave me flashbacks to when the Switch was reveled .

Just to put things into prospective how well this thing will run Switch games heres a video of the GPD Win 3 running Yuzu the Nintendo Switch Emu.

As you can see it runs pretty much full speed with many games. Valves Deck is a lot more powerful then the GPD Win 3 and Yuzu has come on a lot with its latest big release this month that even that games that where running bad on the GPD Win 3 will now most likely be running full speed on that device. The Deck will have no problem running Switch games in even higher res. This thing is going to be an emulation beast!. You can literally play every nintendo system ever made on this one little device!.

Cough and for anyone who does want to do that and use this as a "Switch Pro" since its pretty much a portable pc and since Valve allow you to use Switch controllers on Steam you can use your current switch controllers for multi player gaming while in docked mode or i imagine by connecting them using Bluetooth .

Well apparently, all versions of the Steam Deck have a socketable M.2 2230 slot. I wish I would have known that before pre-orders went live. That said M.2 2230 drives currently top out at 1TB and they are hard to come by. As they are OEM drives. You can find them if you look, scalpers will probably snatch them up and over charge for them -_-

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:

Well apparently, all versions of the Steam Deck have a socketable M.2 2230 slot. I wish I would have known that before pre-orders went live. That said M.2 2230 drives currently top out at 1TB and they are hard to come by. As they are OEM drives. You can find them if you look, scalpers will probably snatch them up and over charge for them -_-

I imagine scalpers will target those drives next, as Ebay just fucked over a ton of scalpers trying to sell their pre-orders, effectively terminating each sale dead in their tracks.

hinch said:

Thanks! I tried for over 40 mins straight with constant errors and 'too many payment attempts' oof, so glad when it finally got through. Good luck for those still trying.

I live in Australia and  have no sympathy for you.

mjk45 said:
hinch said:

Thanks! I tried for over 40 mins straight with constant errors and 'too many payment attempts' oof, so glad when it finally got through. Good luck for those still trying.

Uh.. okay?

hinch said:
mjk45 said:

Uh.. okay?

I also live in Australia... Undecided if you should have my sympathy or not.

hinch said:
mjk45 said:

Uh.. okay?

Since not asking why shows your an evil hinch who lacks sensitivity toward my tragic circumstances, I have decided to punish your behaviour by forcing my story upon you with the knowledge that it will cause you deep emotional distress and have you weeping in despair ,those circumstances are such that I would die for the chance to wait 40 minutes since you cannot pre order the Steam Deck in Australia

Last edited by mjk45 - on 23 July 2021