By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metriod Dread Announced for Switch, Launches October 8th

I hate to say it but if this game doesn't sell well, and Metroid Prime 4 also doesn't sell well, I don't see any reason for Nintendo not to drop the franchise. I can't blame them anymore if that happened. The last few games all had pretty convenient excuses to sell poorly - and the fact that the series saw it's boom during the GBA/Gamecube era where Nintendo was putting the most effort into it, rather than the Wii/DS era where Nintendo was at their most popular (prior to the Switch), seemed to indicate some level of innovation and care that made Metroid more popular back then.

But there's literally no excuse now. Up till now I haven't even agreed with the "Metroid fans are lucky to have Nintendo because Nintendo treats Metroid a lot better than any other publisher would" argument (just such a ridiculous hypothetical that even if entertained I could poke a ton of holes in it). If the franchise dies on Switch though, so be it. It would be deserved with low sales of these two games.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I hate to say it but if this game doesn't sell well, and Metroid Prime 4 also doesn't sell well, I don't see any reason for Nintendo not to drop the franchise. I can't blame them anymore if that happened. The last few games all had pretty convenient excuses to sell poorly - and the fact that the series saw it's boom during the GBA/Gamecube era where Nintendo was putting the most effort into it, rather than the Wii/DS era where Nintendo was at their most popular (prior to the Switch), seemed to indicate some level of innovation and care that made Metroid more popular back then.

But there's literally no excuse now. Up till now I haven't even agreed with the "Metroid fans are lucky to have Nintendo because Nintendo treats Metroid a lot better than any other publisher would" argument (just such a ridiculous hypothetical that even if entertained I could poke a ton of holes in it). If the franchise dies on Switch though, so be it. It would be deserved with low sales of these two games.

What would you consider low sales? Not making the money back? Under 1 million?

KLXVER said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

What would you consider low sales? Not making the money back? Under 1 million?

I knew there was a part that I forgot to write  

I think really good sales for Dread would be 2+ mil. 

I think that Dread just making it's money back would probably be ok depending on how much sales that would translate to (I have no idea how much that is). 

I think in a lot of ways Dread could just make money back, and as long as Prime 4 does super super well it will still be a healthy sign for the franchise. On the other hand if Prime 4 just is moderately successful, both games need to do super well. Sort of like how Fusion sold pretty well alongside Prime 1. 

So without hard numbers on budget and sales expectations, I'd say Dread should sell 2-2.5 million to be very successful. 2.5-3.5 super successful. 1.5-2 million to be moderately successful. 550k - 850k to break even (wider range cause who knows). 

For Prime 4, I think 3-3.5 mil would be very successful. 3.5-5 mil super successful. 2.5-3 million would be moderately successful. 1-1.5 mil is just "meh". 

Why the hell do americans invert month and day? realease on 8/10... August 10 for crying out loud.
This just adds 2 more months of waiting...

I don't think sales are the Metroid series' problem. As long as the games sell in the millions Nintendo seems content to make them. 

It seems to me that the lack of development of new Metroid games had more to do with internal workplace shifts which hindered the ability of Nintendo to produce good Metroid games. 

Retro Studios wanted something new after Prime 3, and a lot of the old staff had left anyway. Every new developer Nintendo worked with ended up shaping the series into something fans didn't like. The previous attempts at developing Metroid Dread reached technical or creative limitations. 

That Nintendo decided to develop Dread after Samus Returns' sales signifies to me that they are happy with the games in so much as they break even profit-wise. Whether the game is well recieved seems to be more important to them.

This makes sense too. Nintendo understands that their core base needs to be excited for other people to be excited about their systems and games in the long-term. Metroid might not be a huge seller in itself, but it has a strong fanbase that almost 1:1 overlaps with Nintendo's and this helps ancillary sales of other games in that it brings word of mouth/media coverage to the system in general. 

I still think Dread will probably sell over 2 million, but if it sold only something like 1 million I don't see Nintendo having a huge problem with that. 

The game's development costs probably are mid-tier/"AA" level. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 18 June 2021

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I hope Ridley's in this. He's pretty much the most iconic villain in the whole series, and has the cruelty to back it up.

I hope not honestly. Ridley is pretty dead by now. The original Ridley died in Super Metroid, the clone died in Other M and the X Parasite copy died in Fusion. I think three dead Ridleys are enough already xD

There will be another Federation-created Ridley clone, you can bet on it.

haxxiy said:
Vodacixi said:

I hope not honestly. Ridley is pretty dead by now. The original Ridley died in Super Metroid, the clone died in Other M and the X Parasite copy died in Fusion. I think three dead Ridleys are enough already xD

There will be another Federation-created Ridley clone, you can bet on it.

I wish they would give Kraid a chance instead to be honest. Maybe bring to reality the scrapped Metroid Prime boss battle? Meta Kraid would be awesome to have...

Day 1

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

sc94597 said:

I don't think sales are the Metroid series' problem. As long as the games sell in the millions Nintendo seems content to make them. 

It seems to me that the lack of development of new Metroid games had more to do with internal workplace shifts which hindered the ability of Nintendo to produce good Metroid games. 

Retro Studios wanted something new after Prime 3, and a lot of the old staff had left anyway. Every new developer Nintendo worked with ended up shaping the series into something fans didn't like. The previous attempts at developing Metroid Dread reached technical or creative limitations. 

That Nintendo decided to develop Dread after Samus Returns' sales signifies to me that they are happy with the games in so much as they break even profit-wise. Whether the game is well recieved seems to be more important to them.

This makes sense too. Nintendo understands that their core base needs to be excited for other people to be excited about their systems and games in the long-term. Metroid might not be a huge seller in itself, but it has a strong fanbase that almost 1:1 overlaps with Nintendo's and this helps ancillary sales of other games in that it brings word of mouth/media coverage to the system in general. 

I still think Dread will probably sell over 2 million, but if it sold only something like 1 million I don't see Nintendo having a huge problem with that. 

Yeah. I remember when they said Breath of the Wild was already making a profit, back when it sold like 2 million. If that was true, I can't imagine Metroid Dread needs much more than 500k to break even. Even if it needs more than that, I believe Samus Returns sold like 600k or so? Pretty reasonable to expect Dread to sell twice as much at the very least. More likely it sells at least 2 million.

...And agreed on the technical/creative difficulties thing. It's pretty clear the 2D series died because Sakamoto only wanted to continue it with Dread, so much so that he's still doing this project over 15 years later. Meaning if he could never make Dread the way he wanted to, then the main series just wouldn't go on. When he says MercurySteam convinced him due to their work on Samus Returns, I also kinda wonder if Other M was also like a test round for Team Ninja, which obviously didn't work out.

The Prime games are in a bit more of a difficult position with everything that went down at Retro, but it makes sense that they wouldn't want to make anymore after Prime 3. It's pretty clear in that game that they really wanted to give that storyline a proper ending, and have it be a proper trilogy. I think we're only getting a Prime 4 due to fan demand really, which makes me concerned it won't feel like a genuine work of art - a worry I don't have with Dread.

Either way the Prime games are where the sales thing becomes more of an issue, because those have had insane production values for the kind of sales they brought in. When your AAA level games are only selling nearly as much as the 2D pixel-art ones, well, that's kinda rough. Heck, just look at the development for Prime 4. Since its initial announcement, we're yet to see any footage of it - in that time, two whole 2D Metroid games released. Prime games are obviously a lot more expensive to make, so it makes sense Nintendo would be more careful with it.

sc94597 said:

Retro Studios wanted something new after Prime 3, and a lot of the old staff had left anyway. Every new developer Nintendo worked with ended up shaping the series into something fans didn't like. The previous attempts at developing Metroid Dread reached technical or creative limitations

It also didn’t help that Sakamoto’s team (formerly R&D1) was absorbed into the Software, Planning, and Development (or SPD) team under Iwata. They mostly focused on supervising projects from their partners. So, Sakamoto had to look elsewhere to get help in developing new Metroid games.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ykfRsShBHsM