By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 3 launched in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 129,486 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,461,072 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,395,458 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 22,402,044

PS3 Total Sales: 20,006,586

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch grew its lead over the PS3 by 129,486 when you align the consoles launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 1.46 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 2.40 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is May 2021 and for the PlayStation 3 it is May 2011. The Switch has sold 22.40 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 20.01 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 3 did not reach current Switch sales until month 57.

The PlayStation 3 sold 34.99 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 12.59 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 3 launched in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 129,486 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,461,072 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,395,458 - Switch

PS3 Total Sales: 20,006,586

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch grew its lead over the PS3 by 129,486 when you align the consoles launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 1.46 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 2.40 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is May 2021 and for the PlayStation 3 it is May 2011. The Switch has sold 22.40 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 20.01 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 3 did not reach current Switch sales until month 57.

The PlayStation 3 sold 34.99 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 12.59 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

A PS home console in Europe is a powerhouse by default, and PS3 had long legs, but the Switch is climbing the slope with vigor; 12.6 million more should be achievable if they handle the remainder of the Switch's life as well as they've handled its first four years.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 188,053 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,616,730 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,845,852 - Wii

Wii Total Sales: 27,247,896

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch caught up by 188,053 units when you align the launches of it with the Wii. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by just 1.62 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.85 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021 and for the Wii it is February 2011. The Switch has sold 22.40 million units, while the Wii sold 27.25 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 41.

The Wii sold 33.88 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 11.48 million units to outsell the Wii.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The Wii really did manage to break out in Europe in a way almost no other Nintendo device has; Switch is moving more slowly, but if it has a considerably longer lifespan this could make up the difference.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Heh, the last two charts are funny.  Switch looks like it's doing great against PS3, but struggling against Wii.  And yet in lifetime sales PS3 > Wii (34.99M > 33.88M).  In the end, the real question is, "do you think Switch will pass 35M in Europe?" 

I do think Switch will pass 35M in Europe.  It's already sold 22M and it's still going strong.  I think it can sell another 13M pretty easily.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS4 vs DS in Europe Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, that is why you see spikes and dips. The DS is the best-selling platform in Europe in the last two video game generations, while the PlayStation 4 comes in second place.

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 34,682 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,109,765 – PS4

Total Lead: 3,272,904 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 48,124,751

DS Total Sales: 51,397,655

May 2021 is the 91st month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the PlayStation 4 has closed the gap when compared with the DS during the same timeframe by 34,682 units. The PlayStation 4 has outsold the DS by 1.11 million units in the last 12 months. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 3.27 million units.

The 91st month on sale for the PlayStation 4 in Europe is May 2021, while for the Nintendo DS it is September 2012. The PlayStation 4 has sold 48.12 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 51.40 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current PlayStation 4 sales in month 71.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 51.84 million units lifetime in Europe. The PlayStation 4 is currently 3.72 million units behind the lifetime sales of the Nintendo DS.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Heh, the last two charts are funny.  Switch looks like it's doing great against PS3, but struggling against Wii.  And yet in lifetime sales PS3 > Wii (34.99M > 33.88M).  In the end, the real question is, "do you think Switch will pass 35M in Europe?" 

I do think Switch will pass 35M in Europe.  It's already sold 22M and it's still going strong.  I think it can sell another 13M pretty easily.

The charts show that while early sales are important, having long legs are just as important. PS4 was tracking well behind the Wii worldwide for several years, but in the end has sold better. 

Looks PS4 won't manage to catch up to the DS even in Sonyland. It would need three more years at its current pace, and that ain't happening.

curl-6 said:

Looks PS4 won't manage to catch up to the DS even in Sonyland. It would need three more years at its current pace, and that ain't happening.

yep .. poor PS4, so much lost potential ..