By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread

ireadtabloids said:

Looking at the trajectory of Xbox Series I think I’d prefer an Xbox Series vs PSP chart.
Especially considering one of the more famous threads on this forum.
I feel confident that the Xbox Series can take on the 3DS, but PSP will be a little tougher to conquer.

That said it’s pretty old for a comparison so you don’t have to take my request seriously.

I'd like to see both 3DS vs XS and PSP vs XS charts; personally I'm far from, confident that Sbox Series will outsell 3DS, I'm not yet convinced it'll outsell substantially more than Xbox One; it's tracking ahead so far but that doesn't mean it won't have weak legs, it's too early to say.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 28,451 - NS

Total Lead: 2,421,755 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 8,746,474

Switch Total Sales: 6,324,719

May 2021 is the seventh month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Switch when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 28,451 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 2.42 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 8.75 million units in seven months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 6.32 million units. Month seven for the PlayStation 5 is May 2021 and for the Nintendo Switch it is September 2017.

The Nintendo Switch did not reach current PlayStation 5 sales until month nine where it had sold 8.81 million units.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 10 million units sold in month 10, 20 million in month 19, and 30 million in month 23. The Nintendo Switch has sold 86.28 million units through May 2021.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Switch.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

XSX|S Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 434,568 - NS

Total Lead: 1,131,419 - NS

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 5,193,300

Switch Total Sales: 6,324,719

May 2021 is the seventh month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Switch when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 434,568 units. The Nintendo Switch is currently ahead by 1.13 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 5.19 million units in seven months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 6.32 million units. Month seven for the Xbox Series X|S is May 2021 and for the Nintendo Switch it is September 2017.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 10 million units sold in month 10, 20 million in month 19, and 30 million in month 23. The Nintendo Switch has sold 86.28 million units through May 2021.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Xbox Series is keeping relatively close pace thus far in spite of supply constraints, but the real challenge starts once the early adopters all have one and we see how it's legs fare in the long term.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 290,457 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,074,706 - Switch

Total Lead: 6,188,478 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 29,373,340

PS4 Total Sales: 23,184,862

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 290,457 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months, the Switch has grown its lead by 4.07 million units. The Switch currently leads by 6.19 million units.

The 51st month on sale for the Switch is May 2021, while for the PS4 it is January 2018. The Switch has sold 29.37 million units, while the PS4 sold 23.18 million units during the same timeframe.

The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 68 where it sold a total of 29.51 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 91 months in the US and has sold 34.82 million units. The Switch is currently 5.45 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.

Around the Network

Switch should be close to ten million in front by the end of December. Amazing sales performer in North America.

Switch emerges from PS4's holiday season and is set to gain uninterrupted for the next 10 months. Won't be long now til it overtakes in North America. Japan has already fallen. Europe may be the only region where PS4 stays ahead.

It’s difficult to say what you meant to say, but I get you.
There’s still plenty of “Rest of world” regions where PlayStation is the indisputable leader.
Lots of smaller markets like New Zealand that love PlayStations that adds up to a big lead for Sony in those “Rest of World” countries.

ireadtabloids said:

It’s difficult to say what you meant to say, but I get you.
There’s still plenty of “Rest of world” regions where PlayStation is the indisputable leader.
Lots of smaller markets like New Zealand that love PlayStations that adds up to a big lead for Sony in those “Rest of World” countries.

I think you are talking to Curl-6's comment but I'm not 100% sure, but if this is in relation to the Switch's capabilities in winning the Rest of World region, it is plausible (and has a decent shot at occurring). PS4 sales have kind of halted, and the Switch sales are up a fair amount year over year (see paoerfulone's chart). Its fairly reasonable to say that the Switch will sell a couple more million this year to reach around 15 million in the rest of world.

The Switch would only have to sell around 5.5 million rest of life to beat the PS4's end total. (Note PS4 has to move 490K units in order for it to be this high, could be as low as 5.1 million)

The PS2's total is a different thing entirely though, and I don't know if any current console has the capabilities to topple it, though currently I would say switch is in the best position, though highly unlikely.

For small reference about everything said

Switch RoW total as of 6/19/21:       11.75 Million

Switch RoW sales in 2020:                5.144 Million

Switch RoW sales in 2020 (6/13/20): 1.748 Million

Switch Row sales in 2021 (6/12/21) : 1.934 Million

Assuming even a down year over year from here on out that would get the switch to 14.75 (Switch would have to be down about 12% through the rest of the year if I can do math)

At which point it would need 5.5-5.75 million (harder task as it starts from a lower number)

PS4 RoW Numbers: 20.01 Million

Last edited by badskywalker - on 05 July 2021

That’s a strong analysis, but those last five million are going to be tough to clear in those countries.
PlayStation 5 is going to be the best selling console soon and I get the feeling Switch sales will slow down fast in the “Rest of the world” countries after Christmas 2022.

I think Switch will make it to at least 18.5 million in the “Rest of the world”, but it’s going to a tough slog after that. Would love it if I’m wrong and Switch matches PS4 sales figures.