By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U Sales Comparison - May 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,307,336 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 17,928,173 - Switch

Total Lead: 21,665,231 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 86,323,860

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 64,658,629

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.31 million units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 17.93 million units. The Switch leads by 21.67 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021, for the Nintendo 3DS it is May 2015 and for the Wii U it is November 2016. The Switch has sold 86.32 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 64.55 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 93 where the two platforms sold a combined 86.79 million units.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 89.50 million units lifetime. The Switch is 3.18 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm pretty sure Xbox One has gone on sale for $199 and even less numerous times.

Yes.. only sometimes when some retail decides so .. only in some regions

I am talking about worldwide official price cut.

Remember 2009 ones ? when they annouce official pricecuts for both consoles worldwide the sales just explode.

That I am talking about.

Of course in this point in time they will not explode such massive but still, official permanent worldwide pricecut have much bigger effect than some small temporary pricecut for only some stores in only some country.

I just don't think there's any real demand left for the Xbox One, it was never a really popular console even at its peak, and now its replaced, including by a $300 version of its successor.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U Sales Comparison - May 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,307,336 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 17,928,173 - Switch

Total Lead: 21,665,231 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 86,323,860

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 64,658,629

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.31 million units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 17.93 million units. The Switch leads by 21.67 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021, for the Nintendo 3DS it is May 2015 and for the Wii U it is November 2016. The Switch has sold 86.32 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 64.55 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 93 where the two platforms sold a combined 86.79 million units.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 89.50 million units lifetime. The Switch is 3.18 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U.

Almost there now; should overtake in the August comparison charts. Once this and maybe some others are finished, could we please get an Xbox Series vs 3DS chart? I think that'd make for a very interesting one.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Almost there now; should overtake in the August comparison charts. Once this and maybe some others are finished, could we please get an Xbox Series vs 3DS chart? I think that'd make for a very interesting one.

I can add that to my list of ideas for future charts. As you've noticed a few of them are going to finish up soon. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I can add that to my list of ideas for future charts. As you've noticed a few of them are going to finish up soon. 

Yeah I did notice; thanks for considering it, I'd really love to see it and given the 3DS's total and the Xbox Series' trajectory thus far I think it'd be close enough to be really fun to watch play out.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison - May 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 242,588 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,473,603 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,624,597 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 20,086,333

3DS Total Sales: 18,461,736

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch outsold the 3DS by 242,588 units when you align the launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 3.47 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 1.62 million units.

The 51st month for the Switch is May 2021, while for the 3DS it is April 2015. The Switch has sold 20.09 million units, while the 3DS sold 18.46 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS did not reach current Switch sales until month 59.

The 3DS has sold 24.65 million units lifetime in Japan through May 2021. The Switch is currently 4.56 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

Around the Network

I'm still getting used to seeing Switch tracking ahead of 3DS in Japan after being behind for so long.
Switch is proving far less front-loaded, and with the likes of Pokemon Legends and Splatoon 3 still to come it shouldn't slow down much for a long while still.

curl-6 said:

I'm still getting used to seeing Switch tracking ahead of 3DS in Japan after being behind for so long.
Switch is proving far less front-loaded, and with the likes of Pokemon Legends and Splatoon 3 still to come it shouldn't slow down much for a long while still.

Switch is definitely no 3DS or Wii when it comes to being frontloaded. Switch sales for this year should be about the same or a hair below last year. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Switch is definitely no 3DS or Wii when it comes to being frontloaded. Switch sales for this year should be about the same or a hair below last year. 

Next year should also be over 20 million unless they fuck up in some way, with the games they have announced and the rumored upcoming revision.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Next year should also be over 20 million unless they fuck up in some way, with the games they have announced and the rumored upcoming revision.

Next year we have what could be a big Pokemon game and BotW 2. (And Splatoon 3?).

Looking at the trajectory of Xbox Series I think I’d prefer an Xbox Series vs PSP chart.
Especially considering one of the more famous threads on this forum.
I feel confident that the Xbox Series can take on the 3DS, but PSP will be a little tougher to conquer.

That said it’s pretty old for a comparison so you don’t have to take my request seriously.