By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2021 Discussion Thread

There are two scenarios where a consoles holiday season is almost indistinguishable from the rest of the year: when it sells extremely well or bad. With the Switch vs. 3DS and WiiU comparison we can see both on display. In 2020 the Switch went so seamless into the holiday season that it's not easy to see where it exactly began.
The final holiday season for the other two on the other hand is barely a bump.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs Xbox One in the US Sales Comparison - April 2021

This monthly series compares the lifetime US sales of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 666,012 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,341,800 - Switch

Total Lead: 620,286 - Xbox One

Switch Total Sales: 28,862,975

Xbox One Total Sales: 29,483,261

April 2021 is the 50th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap shrunk in favor of the Switch by 666,012 units when compared to the Xbox One. In the last 12 months, the Switch has caught up to the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US by 8.34 million units. The Switch is currently just 620,286 units behind the lifetime Xbox One sales in the US.

The Xbox One launched in the US in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. To date the Switch has sold 28.86 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 29.48 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 8.59 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 20.28 million units through 50 months.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch right on the cusp of outselling both Xbone and Wii U + 3DS in US. Both have been fun charts to watch as the gap closed, and it'll be great to see the chase finally conclude.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Switch right on the cusp of outselling both Xbone and Wii U + 3DS in US. Both have been fun charts to watch as the gap closed, and it'll be great to see the chase finally conclude.

How would XB1 vs WII U + 3DS in US chart would look like ? someone ? It would be interesting and close

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

How would XB1 vs WII U + 3DS in US chart would look like ? someone ? It would be interesting and close

Xbone is already slightly ahead and Wii U and 3DS are discontinued so it's already over.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US – April 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 1,724,397 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,153,249 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,871,074 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 28,862,975

Wii Total Sales: 33,734,049

April 2021 is the 50th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Wii has grown its lead over the Switch when you align the launches by 1.72 million units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 2.15 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.87 million units.

The 50th month for the Nintendo Switch is April 2021 and for the Wii it is December 2010. The Switch has sold 28.86 million units, while the Wii sold 33.73 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 44.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 12.84 million units to outsell the Wii.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Well, that's Wii's last big holiday month (2010) right? From here on out Switch should be in a constant state of climb (with the possible exception of when it aligns with Nov/Dec 2011) until it overtakes.

curl-6 said:
yo33331 said:

Xbone is already slightly ahead and Wii U and 3DS are discontinued so it's already over.

I know, just its interesting to me how and which one surpassed the other at what point, and how close was the battle.

So can someone make a chart?