By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Apr 11-17 - Adjustments - Switch Sells 461K, PS5 Sells 217K, XS Sells 98K

Sogreblute said:
TruckOSaurus said:

PS5 is actually doing better than what PS4 was doing in Japan in the same timespan. While their totals up to week 24 are virtually the same (658,550 vs 658,735), PS5's weekly sales are much healthier (around 20-25k) compared to what PS4 was doing back then (5.5-7.5k).

Doing slightly better now, but what in a year or 2? The PS4 was more successful than the PS3 in every region except Japan. The PSVita sold 1/4 of the PSP in Japan. The Playstation brand in Japan is heavily declining. I predicted that the PS5 will do 7-7.5 mil lifetime in Japan before it came out and still hold that prediction.

Still a good number actually. PlayStation will always have like 5-10M sales at least in Japan thank to all the japanese games and big J-RPG like Final Fantasy Saga. And of course thanks to the brand.

Last edited by CloudxTifa - on 03 May 2021

Around the Network

NS unbeatable again.
PS5 supply-constrained, nevertheless it's still the best of current gen launch-aligned, surely supply problems in its first year will damage lifetime sales at least a little bit, but it looks promising anyway.
PS4 suffering from a Wii-like final years drop, this year's Q4 sales will be crucial to reach GB lifetime.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

I still think PS4 will outsell Gameboy.
I'm expecting Sony to discontinue it sometime in 2023 or potentially even 2024, (PS3 got 11 years of production) so it will keep trickling for some time to come, maybe even pass 120 million.

Yeah but 1 million shipped in 3 months just after the release of the PS5 ? That's waaay to low, I don't know if they'll keep shipping 1 million until Q3 until the end of PS5 shortages

I mean it only needs to sell what, another 3 million to beat Gameboy? Just over 4 million to hit 120? I think it can do that with likely another 2-3 years of being sold even if production and shipments naturally decrease. 

It would only need to sell, say, 2 million and change for the rest of this year, 1.5 million in 2022, 500k in 2023, those seem likely pretty easy numbers.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

UK April update incoming.

-Stock issues for PS5/XBS so NSW #1

-NSW down from Apr 2020, but that contained ACNH week 2/3, so expected

-Chris seems to be implying that NSW trajectory now looks on pace for #4 or #3 all time in the UK

Presumably he expects the NSW to exceed the PS4? Or it is at least outperforming it launch-aligned since it lagged considerably behind in the first 3 years (we know NSW did ~1,500,000 in 2020)

mk7sx said:

UK April update incoming.

-Stock issues for PS5/XBS so NSW #1

-NSW down from Apr 2020, but that contained ACNH week 2/3, so expected

-Chris seems to be implying that NSW trajectory now looks on pace for #4 or #3 all time in the UK

Presumably he expects the NSW to exceed the PS4? Or it is at least outperforming it launch-aligned since it lagged considerably behind in the first 3 years (we know NSW did ~1,500,000 in 2020)

At its current pace, it will be around nine million like the Xbox 360. Though, the 360 got a decent boost with Kinect in its second half. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.