By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Switch outsell DS? PS2? Or neither?

Will Switch outsell PS2 and/or DS?

Yes, it will outsell PS2's (~159Million) 99 57.23%

Will outsell the DS, but not the PS2 74 42.77%

Switch will fall short of both DS & PS2 0 0%

Total:173
mk7sx said:
Chicho said:

Nice chart this must take a lot of time to make and update.

Only for the first time setup.  After that its just a one line update per console per quarter.

IE:

2020 | Q4 | PS5 | 3,300

Everything else auto-populates.

Let's have some fun with this:

Before passing the PS2, the NSW needs to pass the NDS.

This one is closest to the NDS, but more in line with NDS style drops would be,

25,000. 16165. 4702. 2166. LTD- 132m

NSW legs should be able to beat that. :)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If Nintendo are serious about this being the "middle" of Switch's lifespan and give it til 2024 or later before replacement and a 3DS-style retirement where it still gets some noteworthy games after its successor, it passing PS2 becomes practically a mathematical inevitability.

With the new model and games like Pokemon Legends, Splatoon 3, and I suspect BOTW2 next year, I expect another 20 million plus year for 2022, and it's already charting to be over 100 million by the end of this year. After that, even if it drops sharply to say 15 million in 2023, it would only need to sell another 20 million from then until it's discontinuation to take the throne. I doubt its post-replacement legs will be as long as PS2, but they simply won't need to be.

The biggest threat to the Switch not being the best selling hardware of all time: the Pandemic.

The Pandemic is causing major shortage issues and this is easily the biggest hurdle for Nintendo to get over right now.

Nintendo with the Switch: