By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Switch outsell PS2?

Will Switch outsell PS2?

Yes 95 56.55%

No 73 43.45%

Total:168

The Switch definitely has a good shot. From what the trends are pointing to, this year is likely to be flat from last year, but imo, I feel that 2022 will probably continue to hold flat from both 2021 and 2020. Nintendo has already committed to 2 major 1st party releases, namely Poke: Legends and Splatoon 3, thus indicating that they plan on continuing strong software support for the next year. In addition, the release of a new revision and Botw 2 sometime at the end of this fiscal year should lead to unmet demand being filled next year.

Therefore, the possibility for 3 consecutive high 20M years for the Switch should not be discounted, as that would imply both a release date for the Switch sucessor of no earlier than Holiday 2024 (Time for the new software and model revisions to sell their due course) and culminative sales in the ballpark of 130M by the end of FY 2022, which barring divine intervention, would certainly put the Switch on a clear path to take the crown.

Around the Network

There is an interesting nugget in the Bloomberg article: the predicted price for the Pro is $399, which would be quite high for just an OLED screen with small performance improvements. You can get a Samsung phone with higher res Super AMOLED screens for $170 bucks now. Nintendo/Nvidia better put some beefy tech in there for that asking price.

numberwang said:

There is an interesting nugget in the Bloomberg article: the predicted price for the Pro is $399, which would be quite high for just an OLED screen with small performance improvements. You can get a Samsung phone with higher res Super AMOLED screens for $170 bucks now. Nintendo/Nvidia better put some beefy tech in there for that asking price.

Maybe they're doubling the internal storage capacity to 64GB. Since the 32GB Switch costs $299 you're actually saving $199.

numberwang said:

U can play Mario Odyssey, Zelda Botw and other exclusives on this phone?

On Legal side of this ?

DSLL is not small performance improvement.

theDX said:
numberwang said:

Maybe they're doubling the internal storage capacity to 64GB. Since the 32GB Switch costs $299 you're actually saving $199.

Honestly, with how much cheaper flash storage has become over the years, I'd be really disappointed if the Switch "Pro" or whatever it ends up as doesn't have 128 GB at the very least. Easily expandable storage is nice and all but 32 GB isn't even enough for some games on the Switch, like The Witcher 3.

Around the Network

Probably not but I'd like if it did. I greatly prefer the Switch to the Ps2, and I find its versatility and embracing of indies to be far more encouraging for long-term quality gaming.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Raven said:
theDX said:

Honestly, with how much cheaper flash storage has become over the years, I'd be really disappointed if the Switch "Pro" or whatever it ends up as doesn't have 128 GB at the very least. Easily expandable storage is nice and all but 32 GB isn't even enough for some games on the Switch, like The Witcher 3.

$399 would be twice the price of the Switch Lite and the same as the PS5 non-disc. Sony's newest console ships with an 825GB fast SSD. Nintvidia better bring the good stuff if they want to charge a premium price for a handheld with dock. Anything below 128GB or really 256Gb is laughable nowadays. Allegedly Nintendo plans to ship 30 million units in the fiscal year 2021/22 so we should expect a generational leap that should convince consumers to buy a premium device on hardware specs.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/nintendo_will_reportedly_ramp_up_switch_output_to_30_million_this_fiscal_year

numberwang said:
Raven said:

$399 would be twice the price of the Switch Lite and the same as the PS5 non-disc. Sony's newest console ships with an 825GB fast SSD. Nintvidia better bring the good stuff if they want to charge a premium price for a handheld with dock. Anything below 128GB or really 256Gb is laughable nowadays. Allegedly Nintendo plans to ship 30 million units in the fiscal year 2021/22 so we should expect a generational leap that should convince consumers to buy a premium device on hardware specs.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/nintendo_will_reportedly_ramp_up_switch_output_to_30_million_this_fiscal_year

Ps5 are a portable one and don't know?

numberwang said:
Raven said:

The fact that it's "30 million Switches" and not "20 million Switches and 10 million of Switch's successor" should make it pretty clear we shouldn't expect a generational leap. With Nintendo unable to meet demand for the base Switch at $300 USD even after 4 years with no price cut, they're probably figuring that they can get away with selling a midgen refresh with a better screen, a performance boost, more storage, and 4K upscaling when docked for $400.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 May 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
numberwang said:

The fact that it's "30 million Switches" and not "20 million Switches and 10 million of Switch's successor" should make it pretty clear we shouldn't expect a generational leap. With Nintendo unable to meet demand for the base Switch at $300 USD even after 4 years with no price cut, they're probably figuring that they can get away with selling a midgen refresh with a better screen, a performance boost, more storage, and 4K upscaling when docked for $400.

Yeah. You're not gonna have an easy time finding people that think the Switch hardware is laughable and unacceptable among the 20 million plus that bought Pokémon Sword/Shield. And loads of Wii U ports at $60. And are paying $20 yearly for a crappy service because they want to play P2P online.

Not trying to say Switch owners have no standards. Just saying many Switch owners have no standards.

Nintendo will be fine.

Edit: as for the OP, since I haven't posted here yet... personally I don't think so. The Switch's been making it a habit of surpassing everyone's expectations so it's foolish to rule it out, but I do feel 150 million will be beyond it.