By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Switch outsell DS? PS2? Or neither?

Will Switch outsell PS2 and/or DS?

Yes, it will outsell PS2's (~159Million) 99 57.23%

Will outsell the DS, but not the PS2 74 42.77%

Switch will fall short of both DS & PS2 0 0%

Total:173
numberwang said:
curl-6 said:

Why wouldn't we count a new model as Switch sales?

New 3DS counts towards 3DS sales.

DSi counts towards DS sales.

Gameboy Colour counts towards Gameboy sales.

PS4 Pro counts towards PS4 sales.

Xbox One X counts towards Xbox One sales.

If the Switch Pro supports DLSS we are looking at a true generational jump disguised as an additional upgrade to keep the old cash cow Switch printing money. I t would be more like grouping DS and 3DS as one device.

The Xbox one X was a massive leap as well and no one said anything. Wasn't Sony even counting the vita TV thing as PSvita sales at some point ?

Around the Network
xMetroid said:
numberwang said:

If the Switch Pro supports DLSS we are looking at a true generational jump disguised as an additional upgrade to keep the old cash cow Switch printing money. I t would be more like grouping DS and 3DS as one device.

The Xbox one X was a massive leap as well and no one said anything. Wasn't Sony even counting the vita TV thing as PSvita sales at some point ?

Same CPU and GPU generation (AMD Jaguar and GCN), no new hardware features (like DLSS) an no exclusive games. We will see if that will be the same for the upcoming "Switch Pro".

numberwang said:
xMetroid said:

Same CPU and GPU generation (AMD Jaguar and GCN), no new hardware features (like DLSS) an no exclusive games. We will see if that will be the same for the upcoming "Switch Pro".

exclusive games are one thing, one thing. Another is a new big library. Maybe Nintendo softer the transition, for a new-gen, with the multiplatform release for a while( New Swich and Switch2). Nothing like sony, but some games, I think. 

If we have a Game Boy/Game Boy Color situation again, I say Switch will surpass DS and PS2. The Game Boy/Game Boy Color divide is still one hotly debated. Game Boy Color had hundreds of games that wouldn't play on the Game Boy, but some games did. An Iwata Asks interview called the Game Boy Color a successor to the Game Boy, but Nintendo lumps their sales together.
So what I'm saying is that if we get a Switch Pro with hundreds of games or more that don't work on the Switch (especially some new first-party games), but it is very similar to Switch in a lot of ways we could see Nintendo combining sales again. The Pro momentum could be enough to last Switch until 2025 or beyond, and reach over 157 million units.
But if Switch Pro is like DSi or New 3DS, I don't think it will be enough. It's certainly possible for Switch to still beat PS2, but I think it will still be behind DS and PS2.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

If we have a Game Boy/Game Boy Color situation again, I say Switch will surpass DS and PS2. The Game Boy/Game Boy Color divide is still one hotly debated. Game Boy Color had hundreds of games that wouldn't play on the Game Boy, but some games did. An Iwata Asks interview called the Game Boy Color a successor to the Game Boy, but Nintendo lumps their sales together.
So what I'm saying is that if we get a Switch Pro with hundreds of games or more that don't work on the Switch (especially some new first-party games), but it is very similar to Switch in a lot of ways we could see Nintendo combining sales again. The Pro momentum could be enough to last Switch until 2025 or beyond, and reach over 157 million units.
But if Switch Pro is like DSi or New 3DS, I don't think it will be enough. It's certainly possible for Switch to still beat PS2, but I think it will still be behind DS and PS2.

This! It's all about how Nintendo will treat the "new switch", it's all about Nintendo official word. If Nintendo wants to make a new system with several exclusive games and say "this is still a switch" then it will be like that, as it was with GB / GBcolor! If it is in their interest, they can launch numerous "switch updates" for 15 years and count everything as "switch sale".
There is no objective criterion here, it is all a discretionary act! If Nintendo says "it is", then "it will be".

Around the Network
Manlytears said:
Wman1996 said:

This! It's all about how Nintendo will treat the "new switch", it's all about Nintendo official word. If Nintendo wants to make a new system with several exclusive games and say "this is still a switch" then it will be like that, as it was with GB / GBcolor! If it is in their interest, they can launch numerous "switch updates" for 15 years and count everything as "switch sale".
There is no objective criterion here, it is all a discretionary act! If Nintendo says "it is", then "it will be".

so, what's the problem if they do?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
Manlytears said:

so, what's the problem if they do?

If you're referring to what I said, I have no problem. If we get a Switch with better specs and some great first-party games and some third-party games that aren't compatible on the original Switch, that can work. I'm ok if Nintendo eschews the clear divide like DS to 3DS. I just want a Switch with better specs and some great titles. And if that means it's more like Game Boy to Game Boy Color than DS to 3DS or PS4 to PS5, so be it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

deleted caused this can be an argument starter.

Last edited by Chicho - on 30 April 2021

numberwang said:
Eagle367 said:

Regarding cartridges, I think switch's successor will have a slightly different design as well which will distinguish it completely from switch whereas switch pro wil have the same design because it's part of the same gen.

This will be interesting to see. We expect the Pro to be fully backward compatible both with hardware cartridges and downloaded games but will the old Switch be forward compatible? Different cartridges for the Pro or a digital only handheld? Using DLSS requires modern engines and that new software will not be bc. It won't be too easy to get a workable solution for modern DLSS powered games on the older Switch. We might up ending with something like Smash Bros on WiiU vs 3DS, same name for the game but more of a port.

DLSS is just a feature that can be enabled on Switch Pro to boost the perceptible resolution in TV mode and just not used on the base Switch version of the same game, there's no reason at all for it to break compatibility, just like adding HDR and 4K upscaling to the Xbox One S didn't break compatibility with the base model.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 April 2021

Chicho said:

deleted caused this can be an argument starter.

I disagree.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.