By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Switch outsell DS? PS2? Or neither?

Will Switch outsell PS2 and/or DS?

Yes, it will outsell PS2's (~159Million) 99 57.23%

Will outsell the DS, but not the PS2 74 42.77%

Switch will fall short of both DS & PS2 0 0%

Total:173
SKMBlake said:
brute said:

There are more options to play nowadays then during the PS2 era. Additionally, consoles are becoming more and more reliable so people arent buying as many consoles nowadays (software sales support this).

Back then people would buy more than one PS2/X360 etc due to the defective issues.

What are the "more options" today than PS2 era ? Cause back then we had 4 home consoles, 3 handhelds, PC and mobile gaming. Now we have 2 home consoles, 1 hybrid, PC and mobile gaming.

And there is no correlation between software sales and reliability.

And do you really think PS2 reach 157 million on defective issues ?

I mean, every point you made is absolutely wrong, I don't know how it's even possible

More options may not have been the proper term but what I meant to say is Mobile and PC gaming have increased in size compared to back then. The options in mobile gaming back then didnt have the likes of Fortnite, PUBG, Call of Duty etc among the million other games on the app and play stores. People that owned multiple consoles or handhelds back then dont need to do so anymore as technology has advanced.

People may dislike mobile gaming but no denying that it is HUGE and its taken a portion of the casual gamers all to itself.

Same thing with PC for the above mentioned games as well as indie's exploding, Microsoft and Sony releasing games for it as well as third parties supporting it even more.

As for reaching 157 in defective, it didnt reach it only on that basis of defective units only but no denying that PS2 wasnt as reliable back then as consoles are now. Especially the first gen/fat version with its disc read error issues, particularly for the purple disks. PS2 slim fixed most of the issues and caused people to go and upgrade.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
curl-6 said:

What makes Switch especially hard to predict in my view is the uncertainty regarding the length of its lifespan. Nintendo are very inconsistent when it comes to how long they support their systems for.

For this reason, while 140-150 million seems most likely to me, it's hard to nail down when I can see it being replaced anywhere from 2022 to 2024.

I think the early Splatoon 3 announcement was Nintendo's way of guaranteeing everyone there would be no Switch replacement in 2022.

Hopefully that's the case, unless they want to make that one a crossgen game. (Though even then it'd surely make more sense to make it a Switch 2 exclusive)

numberwang said:

Rumors says there will be a Switch Pro with DLSS and all new chip set coming this year. If we count that as "Switch" it could pass PS2 sales.

Why wouldn't we count a new model as Switch sales?

New 3DS counts towards 3DS sales.

DSi counts towards DS sales.

Gameboy Colour counts towards Gameboy sales.

PS4 Pro counts towards PS4 sales.

Xbox One X counts towards Xbox One sales.

curl-6 said:
numberwang said:

Rumors says there will be a Switch Pro with DLSS and all new chip set coming this year. If we count that as "Switch" it could pass PS2 sales.

If the Switch Pro supports DLSS we are looking at a true generational jump disguised as an additional upgrade to keep the old cash cow Switch printing money. I t would be more like grouping DS and 3DS as one device.

numberwang said:
curl-6 said:

If the Switch Pro supports DLSS we are looking at a true generational jump disguised as an additional upgrade to keep the old cash cow Switch printing money. I t would be more like grouping DS and 3DS as one device.

That's not a generational leap, according to the leaks the device is a mild leap in actual power, the screen is even still 720p. DLSS is a nice feature but it will just clean up the image on a TV screen, it won't magically make the Switch as powerful as even a base PS4.

curl-6 said:
numberwang said:

That's not a generational leap, according to the leaks the device is a mild leap in actual power, the screen is even still 720p. DLSS is a nice feature but it will just clean up the image on a TV screen, it won't magically make the Switch as powerful as even a base PS4.

If it does support DLSS we need Tensor Cores and thus a completely new chip set with a new CPU, GPU and RAM. It will be an all new system internally.

Around the Network
numberwang said:
curl-6 said:

I said it earlier but I'll mention it again. Xbox One X was a big lead from Xbox One yet it was counted as one.

Go check the spec difference between the 2, yet no one was complaining then about counting it as a new generation.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

numberwang said:
curl-6 said:

If it does support DLSS we need Tensor Cores and thus a completely new chip set with a new CPU, GPU and RAM. It will be an all new system internally.

Xbox One X has a new chipset internally yet we don't call it a new generation.

DLSS is a form of upscaling; the Xbox One S added 4K upscaling to the Xbone family yet we don't call it a new generation.

seeing you two talking about whether "Switch pro" should count in the final sales of the "basic switch" or not.
My contribution penny. IMHO, The answer is very simple:

Case 1: "Switch Pro" is just a hardware upgrade, it should count, like Ps4pro and 1X. it's just a switch with better graphics / performance.

Case 2: "Switch Pro" has exclusive games, these games are only "Switch pro" and do not work in the "classic". This is new generation, hardware that does something that the old is absolutely unable to do. it simply shouldn't count in sales, here we have "Switch 1" and new generation "switch 2" that must be counted separately.

Manlytears said:

seeing you two talking about whether "Switch pro" should count in the final sales of the "basic switch" or not.
My contribution penny. IMHO, The answer is very simple:

Case 1: "Switch Pro" is just a hardware upgrade, it should count, like Ps4pro and 1X. it's just a switch with better graphics / performance.

Case 2: "Switch Pro" has exclusive games, these games are only "Switch pro" and do not work in the "classic". This is new generation, hardware that does something that the old is absolutely unable to do. it simply shouldn't count in sales, here we have "Switch 1" and new generation "switch 2" that must be counted separately.

Yes but people are arguing if it should be a pro or a new gen based on rumors. It is pointless because we have zero confirmed info. People should wait until we know more. I personally do not believe it will be the massive jump some people are making it out to be but we will have to wait and see.

PS4 Pro and XBOX were still using Jaguar CPUs and GCN GPUs so the same design generation as their base units (XBOX did get a generational RAM upgrade to GDDR5 from DDR3). The Switch X1 was outdated when it hit the market and the late 2021 chip set should be multiple hardware generations ahead. If Nintendo stays with their idea of a "NX family" we might get many new deices under the Switch label.