By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts March 2021 Discussion Thread

Nearly there, soon Xbone's final stronghold shall fall to the Switch. 2 more months basically guarantees it.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison - March 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 499,874 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,366,631 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,066,761 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 19,286,162

3DS Total Sales: 18,219,401

March 2021 is the 49th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch outsold the 3DS by 499,874 units when you align the launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 3.37 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 1.07 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

The 49th month for the Switch is March 2021, while for the 3DS it is February 2015. The Switch has sold 19.29 million units, while the 3DS sold 18.22 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS has sold 24.65 million units lifetime in Japan through March 2021. The Switch is currently 5.36 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

curl-6 said:

Nearly there, soon Xbone's final stronghold shall fall to the Switch. 2 more months basically guarantees it.

This one and a couple of other sales comparisons I have going are going to end in the next handful of months. I could use some new ideas for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The weekly PS5 vs XS vs Switch - PS5 vs PS4 - XS vs X1 I plan on turning into monthly sales comparison articles at some point. 

PS5 vs PS3? XS vs X360? 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch needs another 5.36m in Japan to surpass 3DS's lifetime total. It may end up doing this by the end of this year.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

This one and a couple of other sales comparisons I have going are going to end in the next handful of months. I could use some new ideas for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The weekly PS5 vs XS vs Switch - PS5 vs PS4 - XS vs X1 I plan on turning into monthly sales comparison articles at some point. 

PS5 vs PS3? XS vs X360? 

Switch vs Vita or I walk!

For PS5 & XS, obviously there is the predecessor comparison in each region & overall, but for comparisons between companies they are more interesting when it's a close race so America seems to be the best region for this eg:
XS vs PS4 or PS3
PS5 vs X1 or X360

At the moment available data points to PS5 & XS following a similar sales trajectory to their predecessors, just slightly outperforming them, so unless we see a change in that the most interesting gap charts will involve the Switch. At the moment I think you only have that one gap chart that's not launch aligned, could have Switch vs PS4 global &/or USA as the lines will clearly meet at some point. (probably Dec this year for Switch overtaking PS4 in USA, & second half of next year globally)

Or you could go a little out of the box, XS vs 3DS in Europe? PS5 vs Vita in Japan?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch needs another 5.36m in Japan to surpass 3DS's lifetime total. It may end up doing this by the end of this year.

And to think that many saw outselling the 3DS as a lost cause when the switch was still trailing by 3 million. Given the upset that the switch just pulled here, I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch saw a similar reversal of fortunes in Europe. Perhaps 50 million there could still be an attainable goal, though certainly not one I am currently betting on

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

PS5 vs PS3? XS vs X360? 

It's such a shame we don't have data prior to 7th gen otherwise PS5 vs PS2 would be fascinating.

XS vs 360 sounds interesting, maybe DS vs PS5 further down the line once we get to the point where DS took off? Maybe XS vs PS3/PS4?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - March 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 1,383,320 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,951,190 - Switch

Total Lead: 5,039,635 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 21,612,346

Wii Total Sales: 26,651,981

March 2021 is the 49th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Wii grew its lead by 1.48 million units when you align the launches of it with the Switch. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by just 1.95 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 5.04 million units.

The Wii launched in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 49th month for the Nintendo Switch is March 2021 and for the Wii it is December 2010. The Switch has sold 21.61 million units, while the Wii sold 26.65 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 39.

The Wii sold 33.88 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 12.27 million units to outsell the Wii.

Switch is just biding its time; Wii is on fire at this point aligned, but this is its last huge holiday season, after this Switch will start to catch up and in the end it will win.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 May 2021

Share the article here.

PS4 vs DS in Europe Sales Comparison - March 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo DS.

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 97,114 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,802,187 – PS4

Total Lead: 3,365,953 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 47,971,308

DS Total Sales: 51,337,261

March 2021 is the 89th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the PlayStation 4 has closed the gap when compared with the DS during the same timeframe by 97,114 units. The PlayStation 4 has outsold the DS by 1.80 million units in the last 12 months. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 3.37 million units.

The DS launched in March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, that is why you see spikes and dips. The DS is the best-selling platform in Europe in the last two video game generations, while the PlayStation 4 comes in second place.

The 89th month on sale for the PlayStation 4 in Europe is March 2021, while for the Nintendo DS it is July 2012. The PlayStation 4 has sold 47.97 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 51.33 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current PlayStation 4 sales in month 71.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 51.84 million units lifetime in Europe. The PlayStation 4 is currently 3.87 million units behind the lifetime sales of the Nintendo DS.