By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Btw this isnt just 1 or 2 games.... or japanese styled ones.

Resident evil. Hitman, AC Valhalla, Outriders, Scarlet Nexus......

Its a patern.

The most likely reason is comments like this one:

"Got several buddies who bought an Xbox for gamepass and have 0 interested on paying a dime for a game. They consider buying games a losing proposition since Microsoft is paying for them. " - Bitmap Frogs

"Every is waiting for it to drop on GP. I won't buy any games on XBox as long as I'm paying for GP, I'll just wait for them to be free" - Cornbread78

^ there are more like these on Neogaf.

These people are likely more "hardcore" than most casuals (since their on neogaf), so you have to assume the causals are like this as well (likely to a higher degree).

If your fine paying for gamepass, and playing these basically "rented" games.
its gonna effect game sales. Even games that arnt on gamepass are being effected.
Apparently the mentality is to just wait.... eventually... hopefully it comes to GP.

The result is less game sales on xbox platforms, because of gamepass.
(which is less revenue, for game devs, and store owners that sell games on xbox platforms)

Around the Network

It may get to a point where third party developers, who don't want their game on GP, to stop developing games with such split. This would be a big blow to Xbox.

Comments online about buying or not buying games are to be taken with a grain of salt.

But, the data is the data, and PS consoles just sell way more software than the other consoles WW.

These numbers are only physical, and since last year, digital games sell more than physical on PS. From now on, the split will probably will increase in a lot of games.

Sony is really killing it in software sales there. Not a good look for Microsoft will all the marketing they put into this game, buying a timed exclusive window for the demo and now it even performs better on PS5 according to DF. It seems a lot of people faked interest in this one because of a game pass rumor that Jeff Grubb made up.

JRPGfan said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-06-27-mario-golf-super-rush-ends-ratchet-and-clanks-stay-at-the-top-uk-boxed-charts

"There are a number of new games in the charts this week. Scarlet Nexus from Bandai Namco debuts at No.8, with 58% of sales on PS5, 21% on PS4 and 20% on Xbox consoles."

Games sell much more on playstation.
(digital splits, are roughly the same for both, so you cant go "digital sales are higher on xbox")

This isn’t true. Resident Evil 8 is the latest game to show that digital splits are higher on Xbox. 

RE:8 Physical only console split

PlayStation- 83%
Xbox-17%

RE:8 Physical and Digital console split

Playstation- 65%
Xbox- 35%

The physical sales don’t give us the full picture as physical seems to lean heavily for PlayStation. When we get Sccarlet Nexus physical and digital sales we can have a better picture of the actual split. 

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
JRPGfan said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-06-27-mario-golf-super-rush-ends-ratchet-and-clanks-stay-at-the-top-uk-boxed-charts

"There are a number of new games in the charts this week. Scarlet Nexus from Bandai Namco debuts at No.8, with 58% of sales on PS5, 21% on PS4 and 20% on Xbox consoles."

Games sell much more on playstation.
(digital splits, are roughly the same for both, so you cant go "digital sales are higher on xbox")

This isn’t true. Resident Evil 8 is the latest game to show that digital splits are higher on Xbox. 

PlayStation- 83%
Xbox-17%

Playstation- 65%
Xbox- 35%

The physical sales don’t give us the full picture as physical seems to lean heavily for PlayStation. When we get Sccarlet Nexus physical and digital sales we can have a better picture of the actual split. 

This also isn't true. Thouse 2 reports where very diferent dates. The physical gap was at launch and the physical and digital was for the entire month. 

This dosent mean digital was higher during that time for Xbox just that over the course of the month the Xbox sold more copies over all and closed the gap.

I honestly belive that when xbox fans realised that it wasent coming to gamepass then they desided to buy it. Seems to be instintive to just wait and see with gamepass. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
jason1637 said:

PlayStation- 83%
Xbox-17%

Playstation- 65%
Xbox- 35%

This also isn't true. Thouse 2 reports where very diferent dates. The physical gap was at launch and the physical and digital was for the entire month. 

This dosent mean digital was higher during that time for Xbox just that over the course of the month the Xbox sold more copies over all and closed the gap.

I honestly belive that when xbox fans realised that it wasent coming to gamepass then they desided to buy it. Seems to be instintive to just wait and see with gamepass. 

I mean that could also be a possibility but my point of waiting for more data like digital or a month worth of sales still holds because physical only week one sales dont tell an accurate picture of the console split.

jason1637 said:
eva01beserk said:

I mean that could also be a possibility but my point of waiting for more data like digital or a month worth of sales still holds because physical only week one sales dont tell an accurate picture of the console split.

It tells us a very big thing. Preorders are afected by gamers waiting for games to drop in gamepass. That also shows the interest gamers have for certain games. Cuz most of these games with big gaaps where games rumored to be on gamepass.

The only digerence here is that village is the sort of game that sells well on Xbox. So it closing the gap makes sense. But scarlet nexus sure as he'll isn't. There is no dount in my mind that this game at the end of the month wont close that gap. This is also like yakuza. Where it not free xbox gamers would just ignore it. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
jason1637 said:

It tells us a very big thing. Preorders are afected by gamers waiting for games to drop in gamepass. That also shows the interest gamers have for certain games. Cuz most of these games with big gaaps where games rumored to be on gamepass.

The only digerence here is that village is the sort of game that sells well on Xbox. So it closing the gap makes sense. But scarlet nexus sure as he'll isn't. There is no dount in my mind that this game at the end of the month wont close that gap. This is also like yakuza. Where it not free xbox gamers would just ignore it. 

People waiting for games to drop on gamepass is just a guess, we dont know if the gap was due to Xbox players buying the game after its launch or digital sales not being accounted.

As for Scarlet Nexus it looks pretty promising compared to Resident Evil 8, RE:8 had a 17% split for Xbox in it's week one physical sales while SN is at 20% for Xbox and the latter is a more traditional Japanese game. It looks like Xbox having the demo first helped the game have a higher percent of the console split at launch compared to RE:8 where Playstation had the demo first. I think the split with digital will be around the same if not slighly higher for Xbox as RE:8 but we will just have to wait for more info to come out in a few weeks.

eva01beserk said:
jason1637 said:

PlayStation- 83%
Xbox-17%

Playstation- 65%
Xbox- 35%

Week 1 Estimate: 50,000
Week 4 Estimate: 81,400 - 83,900

From Era.

Week 1 would be PS 40K and XB 10K.

Week 4 at 65:35 would be PS 54K and XB 29K

So at launch it's a massive blowout where Xbox sells 1/4th of PlayStation, but Weeks 2, 3, and 4 it sells 50% more?

Illogical. Digital is simply higher. Much higher.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287