By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ultimate Console Showdown: 2021 |Completed|

yo33331 said:
icykai said:

Is it possible to add PS5 vs PS4'15 or PS4'16 as the numbers are really close too. 

If PS5 continues to decently outsell the NSW'18 further, I will add it. But with that limited stock every week I doubt it.. especially entering into the holiday period.

Thank you for your efforts.

Sony confirmed that they have enough parts to supply more than 22.6m PS5 total by the end of this Fiscal Year(link). That means almost 12.5m more units putting the total of PS5s supplied at 22.6m and 14.8m for this FY. They usually supply 21-22% of total FY supply in Q2 and 46-48% of total FY supply in Q3. That means 3.2-3.3m in Q2 and 6.9-7.2m in Q4, so atleast 10.1m till the end of the year for a total of 20.2m PS5s supplied. There is around 300-500k difference between sell-in and sold so i would say 19.5-20m by the end of this year. Remove the 4.4m from last year and you got 16.1-16.6m. 

I don't think this is how it's going to go down but it seems that it's going to be closer to the NSW'18 than the PS4'15/16. Hopefully we'll see a rise in numbers though. 

Last edited by icykai - on 04 September 2021

Around the Network

Awesome thread. Been stalking here and there.

Misunderstood the OP. A mod can delete this post if they'd like to. Sorry.

I think the Switch has pretty good chances of topping DS 2009, but DS 2007 is unlikely.

Crazy that the PSP, XB360 and PS3 all sold in the eighty millions yet not one of them sold 15 million in a single year. Just shows how long that generation lasted and how consistently they sold without having an explosive individual year.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Crazy that the PSP, XB360 and PS3 all sold in the eighty millions yet not one of them sold 15 million in a single year. Just shows how long that generation lasted and how consistently they sold without having an explosive individual year.

They all had really good legs and a long lifespan before their successors released. 

They were the exact opposite to the Wii that had a record breaking (at the time) 25+million year then died a relatively quick death, it was a bit like the tortoises and the hare.

trunkswd said:
ShadowLink93 said:

They were the exact opposite to the Wii that had a record breaking (at the time) 25+million year then died a relatively quick death, it was a bit like the tortoises and the hare.

Yes, a great way to describe it. Though, PS3 and Xbox 360 never reached the Wii. 

Right, but in the end they got much closer than many thought possible because at the beginning of that generation it was  a massacre.

Also i remember an industry analyst around 2005-6 forecasting the total sales for the 7th gen home consoles with over 120m for PS3, 29m for 360 and 17m for Wii lol.

trunkswd said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Also i remember an industry analyst around 2005-6 forecasting the total sales for the 7th gen home consoles with over 120m for PS3, 29m for 360 and 17m for Wii lol.

Considering the PS2 sold 150m+, while the Xbox and GameCube only sold a bit over 20m, that forecast going into the generation at the time seemed reasonable. But no one could have foreseen the success of motion controls or Sony messing up the PS3 launch. 

But at that time PS2 was just about crossing 100m, i think it sold 50 million or more after PS3 hit store shelves. No doubt everyone and their dog thought Playstation would dominate again but it's weird that people also thought that Xbox would easily beat Nintendo to second place like it was a foregone conclusion. Also even though the Gamecube v Xbox was close the consensus at the time was the Xbox was a Success and the Gamecube a monumental failure but the final sales were around 24m to 21.7m, Xbox won by just a couple of million. 

yo33331 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

But at that time PS2 was just about crossing 100m, i think it sold 50 million or more after PS3 hit store shelves. No doubt everyone and their dog thought Playstation would dominate again but it's weird that people also thought that Xbox would easily beat Nintendo to second place like it was a foregone conclusion. Also even though the Gamecube v Xbox was close the consensus at the time was the Xbox was a Success and the Gamecube a monumental failure but the final sales were around 24m to 21.7m, Xbox won by just a couple of million. 

Well you could say this about the next gen .. XB1 vs Wii U. XB1 win by a lot.. no doubt.

In consoles sold, sure, but not necessarily in profits. Nintendo never cut Wii U price, so they made profit off each unit, plus a huge amount of software sales were their own games where they made more of the cut. Microsoft, during that generation, had few first party games, so the third party ones that were pushing the system, they weren't making as much of each game sold as Nintendo.

I'm sure whatever they are getting now is a lot closer to Nintendo since they own so many more games for this gen.