By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 6-13 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 4 Million

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I feel like just as a lot of 360 owners went onto PS4, a fair few Xbone owners will get a PS5. It could make up the difference with a better lineup of games, but as of yet I just don't see any solid indication that XS will sell better than Xbone. Game Pass didn't exactly change Xbone's fortunes, and the Xbox brand lost a lot of its mojo and coolness with the Xbone.

Every gen is a fresh start. Look at the PS2 to PS3 to PS4 or GameCube to Wii to Wii U to Switch. 

Usually yes, but I don't feel the fresh start this time. For now both PS5 and Series X are acting like a pro version of the PS4 Pro and One X, you can play all of your games in better quality/framerate on the new devices.

Of course there will be new games exclusive to the new generation (as always). But on both side they made everything they could to implement a continuity (like Apple with its devices every year).

Same same, different, but still the same.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Doctor_MG said:

Maxwell was already 3 years old by the time Switch launched, so that isnt true...

You said architecture, the Switch is the first console with ARM architecture, an architecture never used by Nintendo nor MS nor Sony.

Clearly the subject was microarchitecture since both you and I were talking about lovelace, but regardless even then you're wrong as the GBA, DS and 3DS were all ARM based...

Anyway, I think you understand the point overall. It's doubtful it's going to be a significant upgrade, but it's 100% not going to happen that it is entirely new technology never before released. Nintendo hasn't done that in a long time. 

Doctor_MG said:

Anyway, I think you understand the point overall. It's doubtful it's going to be a significant upgrade, but it's 100% not going to happen that it is entirely new technology never before released. Nintendo hasn't done that in a long time. 

I mostly agree with you, but "New technology" doesn't necessarily mean "high end", look at the Snapdragon 480 SoC for eg, a 2021 chip but way cheaper and less powerful than the Snapdragon 835 released 4 years ago.

I can def see NVIdia producing a cheap SoC for Nintendo with more recent technology (cause this is the key - we saw it with the Series S) than can last 4-5 more years.

curl-6 said:

I feel like just as a lot of 360 owners went onto PS4, a fair few Xbone owners will get a PS5. It could make up the difference with a better lineup of games, but as of yet I just don't see any solid indication that XS will sell better than Xbone. Game Pass didn't exactly change Xbone's fortunes, and the Xbox brand lost a lot of its mojo and coolness with the Xbone.

I think both Game Pass and All Access will play a stronger role later in the generation, particularly in opening up hardcore PS5 owners (like myself) into considering Xbox as a secondary console purchase. 

curl-6 said:

The launch-aligned graph was posted above and the XS's momentum is notably better. That's why it's on pace to hit 5m in week 30 or earlier whereas the Xbox One needed 37 weeks to reach that mark. The reason why the XS's gain was modest over the last month is because of Titanfall which provided a much needed boost for the Xbox One.

The Xbox One's sixth million took only ten weeks to achieve (the fifth million took 17 weeks in comparison) and that's because of the first official price cut and the launch in the remaining notable countries of the console market that fall roughly into the timeframe of the path to the sixth million. Still, the XS should hit 6m earlier than its week 47, by a few weeks. That will mean staying ahead despite its predecessor already receiving a price cut which has similarities to the early Switch vs. 3DS comparison, albeit on a smaller scale. Regardless, the result will be that the XS breaks away from the XB1 line during year 2 because the similar sales during year 1 were achieved under different circumstances, ones that favor XS.

Of course the XS won't beat the XB1 by the same magnitude as Switch will outsell the 3DS, because the XS hasn't as much going for it as Switch does. But the underlying point is that especially in year 1 one has to account for the factors that led to the resulting sales, because otherwise you'd conclude similar lifetime sales based on similar lines despite known factors for a differing sales potential.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

That will mean staying ahead despite its predecessor already receiving a price cut

Yeah but if you consider price cut, you should also consider the way cheaper model launched with the Series X, which can act as a price cut as well. And today's 500$ has nothing to do with 2014's 500$, so it is pretty expected to sell more.

SKMBlake said:
RolStoppable said:

That will mean staying ahead despite its predecessor already receiving a price cut

Yeah but if you consider price cut, you should also consider the way cheaper model launched with the Series X, which can act as a price cut as well. And today's 500$ has nothing to do with 2014's 500$, so it is pretty expected to sell more.

It doesn't act like a price cut. What a price cut means is that the customer can get the product they wanted for a cheaper price than before.

Or put another way, both the Series X and Series S can receive their own price cuts. If Xbox Series is already outpacing Xbox One without a price cut, then its lead is only going to grow more when the Series SKUs are made available at cheaper prices.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
SKMBlake said:

It doesn't act like a price cut. What a price cut means is that the customer can get the product they wanted for a cheaper price than before.

Or put another way, both the Series X and Series S can receive their own price cuts. If Xbox Series is already outpacing Xbox One without a price cut, then its lead is only going to grow more when the Series SKUs are made available at cheaper prices.

Yeah, but if the customer wants a next-generation Xbox to a cheaper price, the Series S is the way to go without which they wouldn't have considered the purchase.

Thus, the "act as a price cut" thing I said. I don't believe the Series S aims for a new demographic target, it just aims the regular Xbox fan which is keen to have a cheaper solution.