By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

I wonder if the inevitable Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD ports to Switch will be the 1080p/30fps Wii U versions or if they'll push for 60fps at 720p or something to match Skyward Sword. Probably the former, but opening the door on 3D Zelda at 60fps does raise the question.

If Skyward Sword HD can run at 1080p/60fps, why shouldn't the other two be able to do that too on the Switch? 

Well, Skyward Sword seems to just be using Wii graphics while Wind Waker HD got a full facelift with modern shaders, lighting, and effects, and Twilight Princess got new HD textures.

Also, do we have confirmation SS is 1080p?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

If Skyward Sword HD can run at 1080p/60fps, why shouldn't the other two be able to do that too on the Switch? 

Well, Skyward Sword seems to just be using Wii graphics while Wind Waker HD got a full facelift with modern shaders, lighting, and effects, and Twilight Princess got new HD textures.

I don't think we have confirmation that SS is running at 1080p. Would be cool if it is running at that resolution, though.

curl-6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Wind Waker HD used GameCube graphics and added modern effects to them, it wasn’t a full facelift. Most of the work was on its lighting engine, which altered the cell shading aspect of the original in many places.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

Wind Waker HD used GameCube graphics and added modern effects to them, it wasn’t a full facelift. Most of the work was on its lighting engine, which altered the cell shading aspect of the original in many places.

They redid the textures, the lighting, the effects work, practically every aspect of the graphics, that's definitely a full facelift in my book.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Water Temple separated the boys from the men.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

They redid the textures, the lighting, the effects work, practically every aspect of the graphics, that's definitely a full facelift in my book.

You are mistaken. The textures used are the original high-resolution ones created during development of the original game, which used scaled-down versions of the textures to match the GameCube's hardware capabilities. 

Practically all the aspects of the graphics are the same as the GameCube version, handled in higher fidelity on the Wii U due to its more capable hardware. That’s not a full facelift at all.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

No. The textures used are the original high-resolution ones created during development of the original game, which used scaled-down versions of the textures to match the GameCube's hardware capabilities.

Doesn't change the fact that it's using much higher resolution textures than the original game, so a significant improvement there before we even get to completely redone lighting or the addition of modern techniques like ambient occlusion. It's a massive upgrade.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 February 2021

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

No. The textures used are the original high-resolution ones created during development of the original game, which used scaled-down versions of the textures to match the GameCube's hardware capabilities.

Doesn't change the fact that it's using much higher resolution textures than the original game, so a significant improvement there before we even get to completely redone lighting or the addition of modern techniques like ambient occlusion. It's a massive upgrade.

It’s an upgrade. But we’ll have to agree to disagree about the meaning of the word massive. xD

There are comparison videos on Youtube and there are definitely more tweaks to the graphics than just higher resolution and 60 FPS. Lighting is better, shadows are much higher resolution, and there is a definite improvement in particle effects. LOD also seems tweaked. Textures look better to me, but that may be a result of the other improvements.

Check out the comparison between the Fi dancing scene.  The lighting is totally different and the particle effects are much better in the Switch version.  The ground texture for the scene starting at 4:05 is different.  In the Wii version its a plain grass texture, while in the Switch version there is stone tiling at the same spot.  The stone titling ended much earlier in the Wii version, before you would get to that plant enemy.

Last edited by h2ohno - on 28 February 2021

Thanks for the video. Interesting. Still, to me it seems like all improvements are fully due to the quadruple resolution and the much cleaner image that comes with it. Maybe they also tweaked the brightness/contrast slider a bit but I’m not seeing much beyond that.