By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

Agente42 said:
Kakadu18 said:

The director of BotW, Hidemaro Fujibayashi was also the director of Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords, The Minish Cap and Skyward Sword and subdirector of Phantom Houtglass, many of those puzzle focused Zelda games that you don't like. 

Don't put all the blame for the series changing to something you don't like on one guy. Puzzles have been a big part of Zelda games even before Aonuma started to work on them.

The change of direction came with Aonuma on the production. It's crystal clear in Majora Mask. The idea of the Botw, with The first Zelda function like a canvas for the modern game came with Fujibayashi. Aonuma is not a fan the First Legend of Zelda, he never finished. It's a fact. 

I'm also not a fan of the first Zelda.

I'm not really getting your point beyond you like more exploration in your Zelda game. Which is fine... but then I guess the answer is to wait for BOTW 2. I love me some good dungeons and boss fights, and Skyward Sword got em. 

Around the Network

Yeah I'm not a fan of the first Zelda either, NES games are pretty much unplayable to me, I feel almost all of them have aged extremely poorly. I still adore BOTW though.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of the first Zelda either, NES games are pretty much unplayable to me, I feel almost all of them have aged extremely poorly. I still adore BOTW though.

Super Mario Bros. 3 has aged very well imo. Played it on NSO for the first time and it emidiately became my favorite 2D Mario game. Most other NES games have aged badly though, especially Zelda 2. That's why a remake of that one would be great.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

Super Mario Bros. 3 has aged very well imo. Played it on NSO for the first time and it emidiately became my favorite 2D Mario game. Most other NES games have aged badly though, especially Zelda 2. That's why a remake of that one would be great.

The NES Mario Bros games and some of the very few I feel still hold up.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Agente42 said:
Kakadu18 said:

The director of BotW, Hidemaro Fujibayashi was also the director of Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords, The Minish Cap and Skyward Sword and subdirector of Phantom Houtglass, many of those puzzle focused Zelda games that you don't like. 

Don't put all the blame for the series changing to something you don't like on one guy. Puzzles have been a big part of Zelda games even before Aonuma started to work on them.

The change of direction came with Aonuma on the production. It's crystal clear in Majora Mask. The idea of the Botw, with The first Zelda function like a canvas for the modern game came with Fujibayashi. Aonuma is not a fan the First Legend of Zelda, he never finished. It's a fact. 

Not at all. The change in direction started with Ocarina of Time, and most of its design choices are due to Miyamoto’s requests for the game. All the titles that came after it, including Majora’s Mask, followed Ocarina’s design blue print, until Breath of the Wild shook things up.

You should dwfinitely tone down the hyperbolic comments.

Around the Network

Honestly, Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword represent the best of both sides of Zelda for me, and ironically enough each game's biggest strength is the other game's biggest weakness.

For all the praise and acclaim Breath of the Wild received and continues to receive for just how incredible of a game it was, its biggest flaw and most disappointing aspect, for me anyways, was the dungeons inside the Divine Beasts. When I heard that there would only be 4 dungeons in the game, I thought it would be a similar deal to Majora's Mask. That game only had 4 dungeons, but JESUS CHRIST, those were SOME dungeons, sometimes for the wrong reasons COUGHGreatBayTempleCOUGH. But I enjoyed the others and was looking forward to how challenging and over the top they'd make the dungeons... And least to say, I was sorely disappointed. The shrines, which served as mini-dungeons, didn't really do much to satiate my appetite. Especially since I had gone into that game fresh off of Skyward Sword, which still has the best dungeons in the entire series in my opinion.

And Skyward Sword's flaws have been well-documented. And I'm not even talking about the motion controls. Hell, I wouldn't even consider that a flaw because most people I've talked to who said the motion controls didn't work, more often than not, were just flailing the damn thing around like they were trying to swat a fly in mid-air with their bare hand. And when you're doing that, well no shit the motion controls aren't going to work! Because if you're just swinging your arm around like a jackass with a lasso at a rodeo, of course the game's not going to know what the fuck you're trying to do! If you just take it easy with nice, smooth, and fluid motions, they were exactly the way they're supposed to. I'm talking about the padding. There was A LOT of padding in Skyward Sword, and at points, it made the game drag longer than it needed to. (Looking at you, Faron, you fucking bitch and your stupid tadtones!) As much as I love the game, that's one thing I absolutely DO NOT look forward to every time I go back to play it. And that's something I hope they change with this version like they did with Wind Waker and that God forsaken Triforce hunt. A total contrast from Breath of the Wild, which is really as long as you want it to be.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 23 February 2021

PAOerfulone said:

Honestly, Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword represent the best of both sides of Zelda for me, and ironically enough each game's biggest strength is the other game's biggest weakness.

For all the praise and acclaim Breath of the Wild received and continues to receive for just how incredible of a game it was, its biggest flaw and most disappointing aspect, for me anyways, was the dungeons inside the Divine Beasts. When I heard that there would only be 4 dungeons in the game, I thought it would be a similar deal to Majora's Mask. That game only had 4 dungeons, but JESUS CHRIST, those were SOME dungeons, sometimes for the wrong reasons COUGHGreatBayTempleCOUGH. But I enjoyed the others and was looking forward to how challenging and over the top they'd make the dungeons... And least to say, I was sorely disappointed. The shrines, which served as mini-dungeons, didn't really do much to satiate my appetite. Especially since I had gone into that game fresh off of Skyward Sword, which still has the best dungeons in the entire series in my opinion.

And Skyward Sword's flaws have been well-documented. And I'm not even talking about the motion controls. Hell, I wouldn't even consider that a flaw because most people I've talked to who said the motion controls didn't work, more often than not, were just flailing the damn thing around like they were trying to swat a fly in mid-air with their bare hand. And when you're doing that, well no shit the motion controls aren't going to work! Because if you're just swinging your arm around like a jackass with a lasso at a rodeo, of course the game's not going to know what the fuck you're trying to do! If you just take it easy with nice, smooth, and fluid motions, they were exactly the way they're supposed to. I'm talking about the padding. There was A LOT of padding in Skyward Sword, and at points, it made the game drag longer than it needed to. (Looking at you, Faron, you fucking bitch and your stupid tadtones!) As much as I love the game, that's one thing I absolutely DO NOT look forward to every time I go back to play it. And that's something I hope they change with this version like they did with Wind Waker and that God forsaken Triforce hunt. A total contrast from Breath of the Wild, which is really as long as you want it to be.

Yeah, pendulum went too much in the other direction with BotW - as someone who had (and still has) to say a lot against "Aonuma" Zeldas, I quite disliked BotW - which is somewhat paradoxical, given that open-world (and semi-open world) games were always my favourites.

I'm hoping that BotW2 will have much better balance (as well as being much better designed game overall).

Was very happy with this announcement.
They playthrough of Skyward Sword is so far the single best gaming experience I've had. Will get this on switch and if it holds up a second time it will probably land somewhere in my top 3 games ever.

I'm one of the few who did not enjoy Breath of the Wild that much.
I much prefer more linear games to the open world ones.

Clever puzzles is what I like most about the series. And that is one place where Skyward Sword shines. Only oracle of ages tops it on puzzles imo.

I wonder if the inevitable Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD ports to Switch will be the 1080p/30fps Wii U versions or if they'll push for 60fps at 720p or something to match Skyward Sword. Probably the former, but opening the door on 3D Zelda at 60fps does raise the question.

curl-6 said:

I wonder if the inevitable Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD ports to Switch will be the 1080p/30fps Wii U versions or if they'll push for 60fps at 720p or something to match Skyward Sword. Probably the former, but opening the door on 3D Zelda at 60fps does raise the question.

If Skyward Sword HD can run at 1080p/60fps, why shouldn't the other two be able to do that too on the Switch?