By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation/Xbox/Switch Hardware Battle: 2021 Edition: FINAL RESULTS!

Week 28 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4: Up in the United States; Down in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World; Down overall.

PlayStation 5: Up in all regions.

Xbox One: Down in all regions.

Xbox Series: Up in all regions.

Nintendo Switch: Up in the United States and Europe; Down in Japan and the Rest of the World; Down overall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some adjustments came around this week.

Due to Sony's latest PS5 figures, the console was adjusted down from its previous numbers. The Switch was also adjusted just slightly down, we'll see how that changes when Nintendo posts their updated figures later tonight. Meanwhile, the Xbox Series was adjusted up.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 05 August 2021

Around the Network

This looks like a lot of work, especially when you have to go back and change things when they are adjusted. Thanks for your effort!

Switch just got adjusted down 400k, more work. ;-;

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 05 August 2021

Week 30 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4: Up in the United States; Down in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World; Down overall.

PlayStation 5: Up in all regions.

Nintendo Switch: Down in all regions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies for the extended delay, with all the adjustments coming in following Nintendo's latest figures, I wanted to get all of those done and THEN post the new numbers before giving an update here. (Keep in mind, between the regions and the fact that we're looking at 5 consoles. 5 tables each for 5 consoles is 25 tables in total that need to be adjusted and the 4 sub regions have to add up perfectly to the Worldwide numbers. If just 1 calculation is off, it ruins the whole thing.) Least to say, it can be pretty draining at times, and I make do with what I can.

But now that adjustments are finished, it should start to be a little more smooth-sailing until the next batch! With that said, here's what we're looking at.

Sony and Microsoft both had their 4 systems adjusted up. The PS5 and Xbox Series are really leading the charge for the new generation unlike any other gen before them and the PS4 and Xbox One are fairing a little better than they were before.

Nintendo had the Switch adjusted down, and it took a big hit in its comparison. It looks like we may have our answer as to which year was the peak year for the Switch. I don't see how a strong Fall lineup and OLED model will be enough for it to rebound.

Week 31 Breakdown:

PlayStation 5: Up in Japan; Down in the United States, Europe, and the Rest of the World; Down overall.

Week 31 Breakdown:

PlayStation 5: Up in all regions

Around the Network

So Switch will have 1.5-2M to catch up when the new model hits the market. Considering what else will release during this fall, it just could do it, especially if the Pokemon remake is well received.

Week 33 Breakdown:

Big question for Nintendo seems to be supply. Can they supply enough of the new OLED model to satisfy demand and make up for the deficit? They've got a good slate of releases this holiday season and a new model will spur some sales, but I dunno how badly the chip shortage is effecting them.

psychicscubadiver said:

Big question for Nintendo seems to be supply. Can they supply enough of the new OLED model to satisfy demand and make up for the deficit? They've got a good slate of releases this holiday season and a new model will spur some sales, but I dunno how badly the chip shortage is effecting them.

I think this is a big reason why Nintendo didn't change the main chip inside the Switch, as they would get pushed to the back of the queue and as a result, would have much more limited production capacities. So they only implemented the other improvements and go on from there until the situation improves.

Week 35 Breakdown:

----------------------------------

We are officially in the first week of September, which means the last quarter of the year is officially underway. Sales should start getting more interesting moving forward as we drift closer and closer to the holiday season. Which means we've got big games coming out and even a new hardware model next month with the Switch OLED.