By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation/Xbox/Switch Hardware Battle: 2021 Edition: FINAL RESULTS!

It's also worth noting that with Nintendo's next Financial Earnings Release just 3 days away on February 1st. We could be in for some MAJOR adjustments.

Around the Network

Ah, here's the new thread. Instant subscription!

As for the poll, how about "All of the above"?

I was wondering what to you so long.

Welcome! The thread wouldn’t have been the same without you! ?

I wonder how much Nintendo's financial results tomorrow will affect the 2020 Switch numbers.

Do you think you could maybe put a bolded line or something underneath each week that signifies a new month? I think this would be easier to follow if we saw clearly when a month ended.

PAOerfulone said:

I was wondering what took you so long.

Welcome! The thread wouldn’t have been the same without you! 😁

I think I didn't check your sig and then one day I saw some weird new entry...

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Around the Network

Per @Torpoleon's suggestion, I have added a new feature to the comparisons. I have noted each week where a new month begins in the year. Signified by an italicized and underlined characteristic as well as the month in parentheses, also italicized, right next to them.
This way, it'll be easier to track which week a specific number is in and gives a better idea of hardware bumps when they occur since we'll be able to remember what game released in that month. For example: If you look at the Switch comparison and look under March in the 2020 column, you'll be able to find quicker and more easily, when Animal Crossing New Horizons came out.
There are also a certain few months which have 5 weeks instead of 4, this is based of the NPD's tracking method.

@PAOerfulone Looks good, thanks!

Can't wait to see how the rest of the year plays out.

Week 3 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4: Up in Europe; Down in the U.S., Japan, and Rest of the World; Down overall.

PlayStation 5: Up in Europe and Japan; Down in the U.S. and Rest of the World; Up overall.

Xbox One: Up in Japan; Down in the U.S., Europe, and Rest of the World; Down overall.

Xbox Series: Up in all regions.

Nintendo Switch: Up in all regions.

Good news for Microsoft this week as the Xbox Series is up in every single region and worldwide compared to the Xbox One in the 3rd week of 2014. A very encouraging sign that suggests if they manage to get their stock and supply situation in order, the Xbox Series baseline could be higher the Xbox One baseline, which would demonstrate growth and improvement from the previous generation.

Sony is in a similar situation with the PS5 winning its first week of this comparison over the PS4 in 2014. If both companies can manage to each higher baselines for both of their new hardware compared to their prior hardware, it would be a very strong sign for the industry as a whole to have all of the Big Three performing better than they did in the previous generation.

Nintendo continues to ride the Switch's strong momentum leaving 2020 into 2021 as it has its 2nd complete sweep over last year. Famitsu already released their latest figures which has the Switch up in Japan from the prior week. If that holds true for the other regions, the Switch should be up Week over Week when the next numbers drop.

I'm sure something similar was already suggested before in this thread, but I'm going to throw the idea of placing all the regional tables into spoiler tags, so that the only visible tables by default are the worldwide ones. The regional tables would still be there in the same spots than where they are now, but they could be opened and closed at will and so the navigation would be smoother.

It's just an idea, anyway. As it is now, the whole thread and the comparisons are all top notch, good job!

I'm mostly a lurker now.

subbed!!!

Verter said:

I'm sure something similar was already suggested before in this thread, but I'm going to throw the idea of placing all the regional tables into spoiler tags, so that the only visible tables by default are the worldwide ones. The regional tables would still be there in the same spots than where they are now, but they could be opened and closed at will and so the navigation would be smoother.

It's just an idea, anyway. As it is now, the whole thread and the comparisons are all top notch, good job!

Seconded.