By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation/Xbox/Switch Hardware Battle: 2021 Edition: FINAL RESULTS!

pikashoe said:

Whens the last time the switch sold less than 200k in a week?

2019, week 34, so late August that year. And that was probably just due to people waiting for the new Lite and upgraded models to launch...

Around the Network

Switch currently up by 26.5%.
I'm really looking forward to see how much of a hit 2021 sales will take in late march and april compared to 2020.
I think Monster Hunter Rise will put a little fight but it won't be as huge as Animal Crossing

So based on what I've been seeing, the regular Switch model is now becoming more and more readily available for purchase. Before you'd literally needed to wait the as soon as stores received the Switch in stock to be able to get one, but now you could nearly easily get a 300$ Switch whenever you want.

This could either mean that Switch demand is now finally starting to decline to levels where more Switch's will be available to purchase now in 2021, or that Nintendo has ramped up production even more the past few months to get the Switch more readily available. I'm leaning more towards the first option since I doubt Nintendo a year after AC and the pandemic Nintendo finally decided to ramp up production to meet all demand, plus I don't think Nintendo is really able to produce enough Switch's to do this. Nintendo last year could've easily broken the DS's record in sales if there was more stock but it seems like Nintendo could only produce so many Switch's as it seems like 30Million in one year is maximum capacity for them. So I'm leaning more towards a decline in demand now.

I initially thought that Series would sell 8.5-9 million this year but if they keep the good performance and they manage to have Starfield launch this year I think they could sell 10 million.

javi741 said:

So based on what I've been seeing, the regular Switch model is now becoming more and more readily available for purchase. Before you'd literally needed to wait the as soon as stores received the Switch in stock to be able to get one, but now you could nearly easily get a 300$ Switch whenever you want.

This could either mean that Switch demand is now finally starting to decline to levels where more Switch's will be available to purchase now in 2021, or that Nintendo has ramped up production even more the past few months to get the Switch more readily available. I'm leaning more towards the first option since I doubt Nintendo a year after AC and the pandemic Nintendo finally decided to ramp up production to meet all demand, plus I don't think Nintendo is really able to produce enough Switch's to do this. Nintendo last year could've easily broken the DS's record in sales if there was more stock but it seems like Nintendo could only produce so many Switch's as it seems like 30Million in one year is maximum capacity for them. So I'm leaning more towards a decline in demand now.

Nintendo having supply issues now in Japan.  And Spain

Around the Network

thank you once again for your threads

Week 6 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4: Down in all regions.

PlayStation 5: Up in all regions.

Xbox One: Down in all regions.

Xbox Series: Up in all regions.

Nintendo Switch: Up in all regions.

Well, that was a quick and easy summary. 

With the release of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Switch sales saw a big rise from last week as they are back over 400k. But Nintendo weren't the only ones who were planning on shipping extra units for this week. In addition to the Nintendo Switch having another 100k+ advantage this week, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series each saw noticeable bumps in sales, especially the former, as they both achieve their largest victories so far this year. Looks like Mario felt like spreading the wealth. The Xbox Series adds to its growing lead over the Xbox One, and the PS5 nearly cuts the PS4's lead in half. Both new-gen systems also saw higher adjustments, which adds to their yearly sales. Looks like all members of the Big Three are clicking on all cylinders (outside of manufacturing of course.)

The PS4 and Xbox One continue to fall further behind their predecessors with no signs of letting up. It'll be curious to see how much further their legs will fall as Sony and Microsoft continue to focus more and more on their new gen consoles, and how those cut legs will effect the PS4 and Xbox One's final totals. If this keeps up, it'll just add to my doubts as to whether or not the PS4 will even manage to catch the Game Boy.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 26 February 2021

6 weeks down, 6 weeks left until Godzilla/Animal Crossing vs. King Kong/Monster Hunter takes effect. This will be a losing battle for Switch 2021, but with the buffer it's building I wonder how competetive it can be and how close it can stay before getting some help on the back end of the year.

Week 7 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4: Down in all regions.

PlayStation 5: Down in the United States; Up in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World; Up Overall.

Xbox One: Down in all regions.

Xbox Series: Up in all regions.

Nintendo Switch: Up in the United States, Europe, and the Rest of the World; Down in Japan. Up Overall.

Another one bites the dust, darlings. As the late, great, Freddie Mercury would say.

The PS5 has almost completely caught up and overtaken the PS4, with its largest win of the year to date. It will almost certainly pass the PS4 and take the lead next week thanks in large part to its rising stock and growing baseline in Japan, of all places. Which, despite being the home country of PlayStation, has been its weakest market. 

In a similar boat as the PS5, is the Xbox Series, which continues to add to its growing lead over the Xbox One. And given the fact that at this same time in 2014, the Xbox One was lagging considerably behind the PS4, and with numerous consoles sitting on shelves, this is proving to be quite the turnaround for Microsoft from the previous generation. 

The 8th gen twins continue their rapid decline into obscurity as another week sees them fall further behind their 7th gen predecessors. It looks like the Xbox One will limp towards 50 million, and the PS4 continues to struggle to catch the Game Boy.

The Nintendo Switch, despite being behind in Japan this week, continues to add to its worldwide lead, which saw it boosted thanks to adjustments that were made to last year's totals, bringing it down in the first 2 months of the year, but up overall. Which means it has a bigger lead now, but later weeks will put up tougher battles. 

RolStoppable said:
PAOerfulone said:

The PS5 has almost completely caught up and overtaken the PS4, with its largest win of the year to date. It will almost certainly pass the PS4 and take the lead next week thanks in large part to its rising stock and growing baseline in Japan, of all places. Which, despite being the home country of PlayStation, has been its weakest market. 

The PS5 has no chance whatsoever to take the lead next week, because the upcoming week contains the PS4's launch in Japan which puts the global total well above 400k.

I forget this.

It paints a new view about the massive Ps5 sucess.