By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Data Analysis: OCT Update (PS5 Second best console after 12 Months)

If Sony can't manufacture more than they are doing now, they won't be reaching any new milestones quickly. This is going to be a tough year for all new platforms.

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:

If Sony can't manufacture more than they are doing now, they won't be reaching any new milestones quickly. This is going to be a tough year for all new platforms.

Yes it will most likely come down to the second half of the year, inline with Lisa Su's statement that we will not see the effects of increased production till then.      So it then comes down to how beneficial that is for weekly sales numbers, and will it be enough to make up for the first half .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
Tridrakious said:

Yes it will most likely come down to the second half of the year, inline with Lisa Su's statement that we will not see the effects of increased production till then.      So it then comes down to how beneficial that is for weekly sales numbers, and will it be enough to make up for the first half .

There is certainly going to be some pressure on the performance of the second half of the year for sure. Sony and Microsoft need to line out what's going to be hitting in the crucial September to December time frame.

dmillos said:

Bonus question: Will PS5 be able to sell more  than the Wii on January (1.3M)?.

Here is the first big sign of the sales power of the PS5. Up to now it is selling everything it ships, so if it is able to produce at least 300k units each week, then 1.2M should be well within its range of possibilities. This can be a photo finish.

Why was the Thread Bet cancelled?

Sony has a major issue on their hands. Stocks (in the States) are awful, and that doesn't appear to be getting better anytime soon. I expect sales to stay low and frankly it has to be hurting game sales. I've personally been buying a ton of Switch games, because I can't even come close to scoring a ps5.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:

Why was the Thread Bet cancelled?

Unfortunately no one won, so I just decided to cancel it. that way no one would lose money. Due to the stock shortages it was a big gamble, not much educated analysis could be made, so I cancelled it. I just thought that this way everyone could get their money back for next time, and no one would be affected negatively. Sorry for not notifying everyone before.

The PS5 just had an amazing month, it is definitely shaping up to be a great battle with all of the top consoles.

Here is February Year 1:

Here are some of the highlights:

1)PS5 has now sold 5.87M in total

2) In the gap table, only 3 consoles sold more in those 4 months.

3) PS4 is only 187K ahead in the Gap, at the current pace, PS5 should be ahead next month.

4) PS5 sold 843K units in February, that was a photo finish with the PS4 that sold 60k units more (even a slight adjustment could push it over the top).

5) NS sold 791K during the first February, meaning PS5 actually beat it.

6) March record is impossible because it compares to the Switch launch, but apart from that the PS4 sold 764K units.

7) March has 5 weeks this year, therefore at the current pace, PS5 could amaze us with more that 1.2M units in March, only behind 3ds(1.38M) and NS(2.3M)

Looking closely at PS5 vs NS, March should be a clear win for the NS, but after that there is a chance PS5 will take the remaining 7 months. My best gamble right now is that the PS5 could end up at around 14M after its first 12 months.

Are we starting to see the true potential of the PS5? This was a great month

Don't know if it's right thread but : PlayStation 5 is the fastest selling console in U.S. history in both unit and dollar sales (lifetime sales with five months on the market).

Not shocking. The US via stimulus packages has been handing out 'free' money which has to be helping.

Hi Everyone, here is the report for March.

Don't let the numbers fool you, this was a great month for PS5.

1) In the Gap charts, the PS5 is only behind 3DS and NS. It was able to surpass the PS4 and it is looking like it won't stop any time soon.

2) This was the third best march year 1, only behind 3DS and NS that had their launch on March, this makes it the best March for non new releases.

3) It almost beat the 3DS (1.3M) for this month, that tells you how good it was. It is also about 300K more than the DS sold during this month.

4) Next month has a very interesting battle, the Wii has the best first april with 928K units. This means that if the PS5 is able to average 270K units per week, it can beat it. (March saw an average of 244K units). 

5) PS4 sold 863K units during that month, so it is a good sign that PS5 might be able to set a new record.

Even though the current Gap with the NS is at -3.2M, this is the time of the year that the PS5 should be able to take control and beat the NS for the next few months. here is what the next months look like for the NS.

It is easier said than done, but any average of around 200K per week will mean that the PS5 should be able to outsell the NS the remaining 7 months of the year. It is going to be a very interesting battle.

How much do you think the PS5 will sell this month? Will it set a new record?