By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

Not if it means almost no worthwhile first party games like in 2020. I'm a gamer, not a shareholder, I'd rather get lots of awesome games than see record breaking sales.

The facts are against you Nintendoomers on this one. Animal Crossing is one of the most worthwhile games released in video game history. Not to mention an HD remaster of the most celebrated 3D Mario game, a new remastered version of Nintendo’s most critically praised RPG. This is demonstrated by some of the highest sales Nintendo has ever seen.

Your complaints have nothing to do with you being a gamer.  Nearly all of the 30 million people who bought Switch are also gamers. Dismissing that with a “because I’m a gamer!” isn’t an argument that makes you right, it makes you pretentious.

I don't care what other people like. Animal Crossing is boring to me and the Mario 3D collection and Xenoblade HD are worthless as I already own the games. Argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy.

I'd prefer to actually play great games than see a sales number. And nothing Nintendo released in 2020 even comes close to my standard of great.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 May 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I doubt those 30 million people who got a Switch past year are only playing AC and a Mario collection. The point of buying a hardware is the cumulative library as well as future releases. 

2020 Nintendo's release schedule was very dry, basically Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and a bunch of remasters. As you seem unable to see value in anything that don't resort in high sales then we can talk about sales: AC and evergreen 2017-2019 games hard carried Switch last year. If you don't believe just look at software sales and see a bunch of 2017-2019 games outselling everything released on Switch last year not named Animal Crossing or Mario All Stars 

Not particularly relevant when evergreen sales making up large parts of Nintendo's sales is completely normal. The existence of evergeen software doesn't mean all newer software is dry.

Let's take a look at 2020 software sales of 2020 releases to test your hypothesis.

Animal Crossing - 31.18 million
Hyrule Warrior - 3.5 million
Pikmin Deluxe - 1.94 million
Mare Kart Home Circuit - 1.08 million
Mario 3D Allstars - 8.32 million
Paper Mario - 3.05 million
Xenoblade DE - 1.48 million
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - 1.26 million
Clubhouse Games - 2.62 million

A total of 54.43 million games sold. Looks like your hypothesis failed the test, since it's not a very dry year afterall. Animal Crossing has been the most significant release on Nintendo Switch since 2017.

Not only was this the highest selling year for first party software released in that particular year on the Switch, but perhaps among the highest in Nintendo's history. Additionally, Animal Crossing is the first killer app released on Switch since 2017.

Only people that are "Nintendoomers" (totally stealing that from you going forward) would view 50+ million games of new releases sold in a year as "bad/dry".

Last edited by scottslater - on 03 May 2021

Nintendo with the Switch:

Wman1996 said:

Switch's 2021 seems to be an improvement over its 2020. We don't have much slated for the second half of the year, but the first half isn't shabby at all.
-3D World+Bowser's Fury
-Bravely Default 2
-Monster Hunter Rise
-New Pokemon Snap
-Famicom Detective remakes
-Miitopia remake
-Mario Golf
For the second half we have
-Skyward Sword HD: July 16
-Gen IV Remakes: Probably October or November

There's gonna be more third-party surprises on the way. As far as first-party goes, I think we'll get at least two more first-party games announced that will release this year. And at least one of them will be a new game even if the other is a port or remake. Breath of the Wild 2 could be a holiday title that Nintendo finally starts showing soon. But considering how little we know about it, I'm thinking Q1 or Q2 2022.

Provided a Prime Trilogy port (and that's the only title deserving a port since years with a 99% approval from fans), what's even left to be ported seriously? At this point, they reached the bottom yet they're still digging. Do you realize that Wii and 3DS catalogues started to be ported with only HD remasters? Those are not remakes that take work to be realized, Same games but smoother, at fucking 60€.

There was no reason to port skyward swords, wii was successful enough to not bring that "quality game that suffered from weak install base of the HW" argument. That kind of ports is just disgraceful and i would be really pissed if we end up learning that Monolith has been working on an XCX port all that time. 

Well, at the very least we can rule out the kind of timeline outlined in the original post.
I don't blame TC for being pessimistic, I'm certainly skeptical myself if this year's third trimester and 2022 will be up to scratch, but now that we know of games like Splatoon 3 and Pokemon Legends Arceus we're definitely not headed for the sort of fizzling out over the next year that Wii had in 2011-2012.
Third party support is also way better than Wii's late life.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 May 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

That's the thing though, I'm not getting a Switch Pro, so it's no good to me if they showcase games that'll only be on the new model to try to sell it. 

I'm not expecting titles to be "Switch Pro only".  I am expecting titles that will obviously be enhanced by the new hardware.  For example, I can already tell that Age of Calamity is taxing the limits of the system just because of the raw number of enemies on the screen at once.  I'm sure it will run better on the new hardware.  More importantly, I think there will be some new titles, like Botw2, that will get an obvious benefit from the new hardware.

Obviously, Nintendo titles will not be Switch-Pro exclusive. But Nintendo surely wants to promote the Pro with quality titles that really make a difference on the new system. Particularly, Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 will do the heavy lifting. They will make sure that these two games look and play fantastic on the Pro. They will ad some 3rd party games to show the power of the Pro: Physical release of Doom: Eternal that will look and play so much better than on the standard Switch. I also think we will get Resident Evil 8 Cloud Edition that will look and play so much better on the Pro. Further, I think the next mainline Call of Duty will come to the Pro and who knows maybe even Final Fantasy VII remake. They will all make a strong impression on the Pro!