By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Acquire Next Level Games

Azzanation said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It might be the only chance of the Kremlings being the main villains again.

I can see a Banjo Kazooie styled DK game, i think that would be awesome and adds another dimension to the IP.

While taking cues from Super Mario Odyssey of course. Odyssey set a new standard for open world 3D platformers. :)

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Azzanation said:

I can see a Banjo Kazooie styled DK game, i think that would be awesome and adds another dimension to the IP.

While taking cues from Super Mario Odyssey of course. Odyssey set a new standard for open world 3D platformers. :)

What makes you think Odyssey was an open world? It was purely level-based. There has never been an open-world Mario game. (Bowsers Fury might be the first) 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are hub worlds. Odyssey is the linear level base. The levels are large like 64 or Sunshine but not in any way open world. The open-world refers to BOTW. Xenoblade X. GTA. AC Odyssey and such.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
CaptainExplosion said:

What makes you think Odyssey was an open world? It was purely level-based.

Uh huh, yeah, sure. A game where you can take Mario anywhere across each map and do almost every objective in any order you please without being restricted by the usual Mario countdown. Totally "level-based".

CaptainExplosion said:
Leynos said:

Uh huh, yeah, sure. A game where you can take Mario anywhere across each map and do almost every objective in any order you please without being restricted by the usual Mario countdown. Totally "level-based".

You really have no clue in game design, do you? You literally select a level and the ship cutscene is a load screen. Do you think Mega Man on NES is open-world as well?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

CaptainExplosion said:
Leynos said:

Uhmmm.....what?

Open world doesn't mean "open level design". Open world means that all the games content (or nearly all of it) is inter-connected. What, do you think Monster Hunter World or Rise are open world games because they feature big environments that are seamless? Mario Odyssey literally has a level select screen. Lol. The fact that you even have to specify "each map" is an indicator that it's not an open world game!  

Around the Network
Leynos said:
CaptainExplosion said:

You really have no clue in game design, do you? You literally select a level and the ship cutscene is a load screen. Do you think Mega Man on NES is open-world as well?

That's not the same as Odyssey. Furthermore, what about the fact that in Grand Theft Auto you're in an open world except for when you pick a mission and are confined to a specific area until it's over? I guess you get a free pass when your game is about shooting cops and picking up hookers, but oh no, we can't have a 3D collect-a-thon platformer count as open world.

Last edited by CaptainExplosion - 5 days ago

Looking at their track record, Next Level Games are certainly prolific, having made 14 games in their 18 year history, and now they're officially a first party studio Nintendo will hopefully invest in growing them as they have with Monolith Soft so that they can work on multiple projects at once and help support EPD games.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Leynos said:
CaptainExplosion said:

What makes you think Odyssey was an open world? It was purely level-based. There has never been an open-world Mario game. (Bowsers Fury might be the first) 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are hub worlds. Odyssey is the linear level base. The levels are large like 64 or Sunshine but not in any way open world. The open-world refers to BOTW. Xenoblade X. GTA. AC Odyssey and such.

Well, I think there is some confusion here. By Open World, he meant the freedom to approach anything however you want thanks to the tools the game provides you.

It might not the "open world" like the ones you mentioned, that you can go to the end of the game as soon as you start it, but it certainly it~s levels are designed with open ended mentality.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

curl-6 said:

Looking at their track record, Next Level Games are certainly prolific, having made 14 games in their 18 year history, and now they're officially a first party studio Nintendo will hopefully invest in growing them as they have with Monolith Soft so that they can work on multiple projects at once and help support EPD games.

I never thought of that last sentence. It's great news! :D

Nautilus said:
Leynos said:

Well, I think there is some confusion here. By Open World, he meant the freedom to approach anything however you want thanks to the tools the game provides you.

It might not the "open world" like the ones you mentioned, that you can go to the end of the game as soon as you start it, but it certainly it~s levels are designed with open ended mentality.

^This. *throws copy of GTA V on the ground and shoots with a Thompson smg*