By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Comment Functionality Update

dmillos said:

Hi @TalonMan I just noticed a notification of someone replying to my comment inside an article, it seems like the notification was empty, I just wanted to let you know, not sure if this is happening to anyone else:

...let me know if it's fixed now



Around the Network
TalonMan said:
dmillos said:

Hi @TalonMan I just noticed a notification of someone replying to my comment inside an article, it seems like the notification was empty, I just wanted to let you know, not sure if this is happening to anyone else:

...let me know if it's fixed now

Perfect!



Nice going, TalonMan. It's safe to say you've earned all those colorful banners camouflaging your avatar. ;)



This is a very nice improvement (or a bunch of them, really)! Thank you! Is it full Markdown support or just a subset of it? Can I e.g. use code markup and tables? I'd test it but there's no obvious place to try code and tables and all that fun stuff without going way off-topic, so there's that.



Zkuq said:

This is a very nice improvement (or a bunch of them, really)! Thank you! Is it full Markdown support or just a subset of it? Can I e.g. use code markup and tables? I'd test it but there's no obvious place to try code and tables and all that fun stuff without going way off-topic, so there's that.

Great question!!! So, here's the thing (isn't there always something, when it comes to VGChartz???) - the library I'm using is 100% markdown compliant, HOWEVER (here comes the catch!!) the markdown standard does NOT allow for empty line breaks (they are simply ignored on output). There are dozens of compliant online editors out there for you to test this on, but it's definitely true (I tested it myself). So, I had to make a choice: Do I allow "full 100% markdown compliance and lose empty linebreaks" or do I "preserve the empty line breaks, and fall out of markdown compliance"? And the choice I made was to preserve the linebreaks as I felt the community would get pissed off at me, if they were removed!!

Because of the ability to "edit" now (something that wasn't available before), you should certainly feel free enough to test out whatever kind of markdown syntax you want - if it doesn't look right, then just edit it out. You will find a good portion of the markdown stuff works - it's just the SUPER COMPLICATED stuff, that it will have problems with (solely because of the linebreak issue)...



Around the Network

Good job as always!



My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

TalonMan said:
Zkuq said:

This is a very nice improvement (or a bunch of them, really)! Thank you! Is it full Markdown support or just a subset of it? Can I e.g. use code markup and tables? I'd test it but there's no obvious place to try code and tables and all that fun stuff without going way off-topic, so there's that.

Great question!!! So, here's the thing (isn't there always something, when it comes to VGChartz???) - the library I'm using is 100% markdown compliant, HOWEVER (here comes the catch!!) the markdown standard does NOT allow for empty line breaks (they are simply ignored on output). There are dozens of compliant online editors out there for you to test this on, but it's definitely true (I tested it myself). So, I had to make a choice: Do I allow "full 100% markdown compliance and lose empty linebreaks" or do I "preserve the empty line breaks, and fall out of markdown compliance"? And the choice I made was to preserve the linebreaks as I felt the community would get pissed off at me, if they were removed!!

Because of the ability to "edit" now (something that wasn't available before), you should certainly feel free enough to test out whatever kind of markdown syntax you want - if it doesn't look right, then just edit it out. You will find a good portion of the markdown stuff works - it's just the SUPER COMPLICATED stuff, that it will have problems with (solely because of the linebreak issue)...

Aww, that sucks, but what am I going to need code or tables in comments anyway? That is, seems like a reasonable tradeoff. That's also a good tip for testing the thing, although off the top of my head, I can't remember any stuff that's interesting enough to warrant experimenting with - using, sure, but not so much experimenting. Besides, now that I know the limits, there's no need to experiment anyway. Good stuff anyway!



Zkuq said:
TalonMan said:

Great question!!! So, here's the thing (isn't there always something, when it comes to VGChartz???) - the library I'm using is 100% markdown compliant, HOWEVER (here comes the catch!!) the markdown standard does NOT allow for empty line breaks (they are simply ignored on output). There are dozens of compliant online editors out there for you to test this on, but it's definitely true (I tested it myself). So, I had to make a choice: Do I allow "full 100% markdown compliance and lose empty linebreaks" or do I "preserve the empty line breaks, and fall out of markdown compliance"? And the choice I made was to preserve the linebreaks as I felt the community would get pissed off at me, if they were removed!!

Because of the ability to "edit" now (something that wasn't available before), you should certainly feel free enough to test out whatever kind of markdown syntax you want - if it doesn't look right, then just edit it out. You will find a good portion of the markdown stuff works - it's just the SUPER COMPLICATED stuff, that it will have problems with (solely because of the linebreak issue)...

Aww, that sucks, but what am I going to need code or tables in comments anyway? That is, seems like a reasonable tradeoff. That's also a good tip for testing the thing, although off the top of my head, I can't remember any stuff that's interesting enough to warrant experimenting with - using, sure, but not so much experimenting. Besides, now that I know the limits, there's no need to experiment anyway. Good stuff anyway!

All of the "basic" stuff should work - images, headers, fonts, etc. It's when you get into the SUPER-COMPLICATED stuff (table of contents, footnotes, etc.) - stuff you really have no business using in a freakin' comment to an article!!!!! - that's when things might get a little dicey.

So long as you're just doing the "normal" stuff (along with the custom one I built for doing "spoiler protection") - you should have no troubles.  :)



Gotta say this is a massive improvement. You've really made article comment sections much better. Thanks!



I know this thread is kind of old now, but I have to say that this update in functionality was awesome. Great job!



I have periods of social disconnection, it's a part of me that I need and keenly embrace. I'll still log in and read news and threads during those times, but I won't be (very) active on the site, so I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause (late answers, bumps or the like).

Also...

Please, feel free to correct my English.