By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Dec 6-12 - Switch Leads Strong Week as Sales Climb

brute said:

Does PS4 have enough in the tank to outsell GB?

Hi @brute I think if someone read this question a few months ago, they might have thought you are a troll. But looking at how sales are going this holiday season, this question is now a very valid one. It would be very unfortunate if it doesn't reach the 118.69 needed, As of right now it would need about 4M units more. If it sells like the PS3 sold after the release of the PS4, then it would have 8.25M left. 

Just by looking at that you might say that it is a guarantee that it will, but right now the PS4 is way below what the PS3 sold in its first holiday with a new console.

If you look at Year 8 Month 11, then you see that PS3 sold .9M and PS4 sold .6M, that is about a 33% drop (or 38.84% if you divide the actual values). 

If we multiply that drop for the entire las 3 years, then we get that the PS4 would sell 5M. So even if it keeps selling with this horrible ratio compared to the PS3, it should be able to reach the GB (but not the 120M milestone).

We will just have to wait at least a few months to maybe get a better picture. Certainly 2021 will do most of the remaining sales of the PS4, therefore if it is not able to sell at least 2.5 million from this november until October 2021 (1.6M more than what it has sold), then it probably won't reach the GB.

Around the Network

but I thought the switch would do 80m by the end of the year :P >_>

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:

but I thought the switch would do 80m by the end of the year :P >_>

It will fall short Before it though.

dmillos said:
brute said:

Does PS4 have enough in the tank to outsell GB?

Hi @brute I think if someone read this question a few months ago, they might have thought you are a troll. But looking at how sales are going this holiday season, this question is now a very valid one. It would be very unfortunate if it doesn't reach the 118.69 needed, As of right now it would need about 4M units more. If it sells like the PS3 sold after the release of the PS4, then it would have 8.25M left. 

Just by looking at that you might say that it is a guarantee that it will, but right now the PS4 is way below what the PS3 sold in its first holiday with a new console.