By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Of The Year Tracker 2020 - The Last Of Us Part II - Now Most Awarded Game of All Time!

Zelda was a great game, but i still feel like they could have made the game much better. Combat could have been explanded on, bit more diversity in dungeons, atleast 2 or 3 more boss battles, and a better castle design to explore . It almost felt like it;s incomplete and the devs ran out of time. As fot tlou2, amazing game. I will be playing again on ps5 with 60fps once released.

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

Part II won Metacritic’s Reader’s Choice after being review bombed on release!!

I love happy endings!

It was an amazing game. I did believe there were some pacing / storytelling issues due to the story not being told chronologically and from multiple perspectives but that is when I comparing it with TLOUr or Uncharted 2 and 4. If I set it against most games that did release this year few dit better on that regard. As for almost everything else TLOU2 did the best ever. Sound stage and sound design in gunfights was amazing, animations were the best I've ever seen, graphics and attention for detail on a crazy level, gameplay was smooth and rewarding, AI was superb.... That it wins so many reader's choice rewards was understandable.

I only wish they'd add a 60fps patch to PS5 which would be a good incentive to replay the whole game. And where is Factions? I need an intense multiplayer game that is not an esports game or yearly CoD. 

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Runa216 said:

Nope! If so....AStro's Playroom would be GOTY everywhere. Its user score is the highest I've seen all year. 

I'm not even talking about reviews though.  I am talking about popularity.  If you look at sales or social media/google mentions, twitch streams, etc..., the games that dominated this year were Animal Crossing and Among Us.  When I think of games from 2020, these are the first two that come to mind.  These were the games that people were actually playing.  None of the others are even close.

These GOTY picks are biased because they are so heavily based on reviews.  The critics' tastes are not the same as the average gamer's tastes.

But...this thread is about reviews and review outlets. We have plenty of threads that cover popularity/sales figures.

"These GOTY picks are biased because they are so heavily based on reviews" - There is literally nothing else they should be based on. While I don't assign any more importance to the opinion of a professional game critic than I do to any other gamer with a decent amount of experience, I give more credence to their opinion than I do for the throngs of casuals that can make any given low-wattage game popular.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Not to point out the obvious and rain on some parades, but winning GotY has just as much to do with competition as it does with quality of the game itself. Point being TLoU 2 released in 2020, and the competition was light. 2020 was one of the weakest years in recent memory, at least in my opinion.

2017 on the other hand was outstanding, one of the greatest. Mario Odyssey, Nier Auotamata, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Divinity Original Sin 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Cuphead, Nioh,

Ghost deserved better!
While I did enjoy TLOU Part II seeing this list further solidifies my opinion of it being overrated.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Part II now passed Skyrim and entered the podium at #3.

Not too far are now part I and The Witcher 3.

kazuyamishima said:

Holy shit!!!

How many did Part ll get so far and in comparison how many does Part l and The Witcher 3 have?

Dahum said:
kazuyamishima said:

Holy shit!!!

How many did Part ll get so far and in comparison how many does Part l and The Witcher 3 have?

The Witcher 3: 258

Part I: 249

Part II: 228

kazuyamishima said:
Dahum said:

Holy shit!!!

Thank you! Does Part ll have a chance of surpassing them you think?

Dahum said:
kazuyamishima said:

Thank you! Does Part ll have a chance of surpassing them you think?

It has a shot, it will be difficult from now on, but the game already achieved a top 3 spot, which is amazing, 7 months ago, some people wouldn’t believe it.