By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Of The Year Tracker 2020 - The Last Of Us Part II - Now Most Awarded Game of All Time!

Not sure how these lists work, however Ori is an Xbox title. But since its on PC as well, it can count as both but it shouldn't count as PC alone.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is why the GOTY things are kind of dumb. What games really dominated this year? Animal Crossing and Among Us. Animal Crossing only gets 4 and Among Us gets none.

These awards are not a reflection of what most gamers really like.

Sales is not equal to quality.  Call of duty has been a testament of that since years. 

Sony exclusives are unmatched and the numbers show it.

finalrpgfantasy said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is why the GOTY things are kind of dumb. What games really dominated this year? Animal Crossing and Among Us. Animal Crossing only gets 4 and Among Us gets none.

These awards are not a reflection of what most gamers really like.

Sales is not equal to quality.  Call of duty has been a testament of that since years. 

This would be a better argument if the game actually being picked wasn't a divisive game that split the fanbase. 

Azzanation said:

Not sure how these lists work, however Ori is an Xbox title. But since its on PC as well, it can count as both but it shouldn't count as PC alone.

It’s on the switch as well. 

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
Azzanation said:

Who decides where the game accolades account for?

Azzanation said:
kazuyamishima said:

Who decides where the game accolades account for?

It’s not counted on OP, all I see is PC that accounts for 5 which is the number that Half Life:Alyx. 

Updated totals - The Last of Us now with over 100 awards:

Award Totals

The Last of Us Part II - 105
Media Outlets: 78 | Readers' Choice: 27
Hades - 27
Media Outlets: 25 | Readers' Choice: 2
Ghost of Tsushima - 19
Media Outlets: 15 | Readers' Choice: 4
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 14
Media Outlets: 14 | Readers' Choice: 0
Cyberpunk 2077 - 8
Final Fantasy VII Remake - 8
Doom Eternal - 5
Half Life: Alyx - 5
Microsoft Flight Simulator - 3
Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 2
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 2
Kentucky Route Zero - 1
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 1
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin - 1
Spiritfarer - 1
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - 1
Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 1

Sad to see more original content like 13 Sentinels effectively ignored because reasons.

Runa216 said:

Of course Sony is dominating....the 5 of the best games of the year are all Sony games or currently exclusive to the PS brand (FFVII Remake, Demon's Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part 2, Persona 5 Royal). If I was to make a prospective top 10 based solely on Metacritic ratings and awards, half of them would be PS4 or PS5 games.

Not sure how Critics and audiences are so divided over Ghost of Tsushima though. 83 metacritic, 9.2 from users. Same with Astro's Playroom getting 83 Metacritic and 9.4 User review. Furthermore, it's funny that user reviews for The Last of US are soooooo low. 'best game' lists are so subjective.

My top ten of the year based on a mix of personal preference, metacritic scores, awards/nominations, user reviews, Sales, and general perception. This is by no means a definitive list, but a good example of games that seemed to do the most this year, got people talking the most, inspired the most passion, etc.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Demon's Souls Remastered
Doom: Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Hades
Half Life Alyx
The Last of Us Part 2
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Spider-Man Miles Morales

I haven't played all of these games, I don't even like all of these games (I actively dislike The Last of Us), but I'd say that's a pretty solid list of games that did the most to get people talking this year, elicited the strongest responses, and evoked the most passion. Some honorable mentions include Astro's Playroom, Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, and I guess Microsoft Flight Simulator since it got great reviews but I never see or hear anyone talking about it.

So of course Sony is kicking ass. They're the ones with 5/10 of the most talked about, played, and loved games of the year. 5 PS games, 1 Nintendo game, 1 PC game, and 3 Multiplatform games.

To be Fair, TLoU2’s userscore is extremely skewed due to review bombing by trolls upset by the leaks. I understand many people didn’t like it, but it’s a pretty established fact that the majority of negative user reviews were from people that never played it. If I’m not mistaken, it had almost 10K negative reviews within seconds after launch. Bit odd for a game that takes 25+ hours to finish. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon