By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Of The Year Tracker 2020 - The Last Of Us Part II - Now Most Awarded Game of All Time!

DonFerrari said:

Are gaming tutorial the only thing that exist as tutorial? And even if we were only thinking about tutorials it isn`t uncommon that something you were taught in a tutorial in the start of the game you forget because you don`t use until several hours later and you keep bashing your head on the wall.

But let`s say a photoshop tutorial or a engineering class on youtube. Would you claim you perfectly understood and learnt the whole content by watching once and not even repeating or trying the knowledge?

That's changing the posts though. We were specifically talking about tutorials before and learning from them, and you don't need to repeat a tutorial multiple times, unless you have a learning issue.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

Are gaming tutorial the only thing that exist as tutorial? And even if we were only thinking about tutorials it isn`t uncommon that something you were taught in a tutorial in the start of the game you forget because you don`t use until several hours later and you keep bashing your head on the wall.

But let`s say a photoshop tutorial or a engineering class on youtube. Would you claim you perfectly understood and learnt the whole content by watching once and not even repeating or trying the knowledge?

That's changing the posts though. We were specifically talking about tutorials before and learning from them, and you don't need to repeat a tutorial multiple times, unless you have a learning issue.

How is changing the post? You were the one that interpreted tutorial as being section on the game only when in fact tutorial can be for almost anything, be it to beat a hard boss on Dark Souls, edit a photo on photoshop, repair an engine, etc. And you along some others are thinking that watching and doing is almost the same.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I've watched games on Youtube that I thought I'd like, but ended up not liking.
And games I thought I'd dislike, but ended up liking.

I've also played games (for a few hours) and thought it seems alright, but I'm not in the mood for this type of game.
Only to come back to it a year later and realize it was quite different than I imagined, and ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

And there were also portions of the story that I straight up thought were poorly written, which put me off.
Then c.a. 30 hours later I find out there was additional context to it, and it was actually foreshadowing and a hint towards a plot twist. Which is something I like.
When you could have potentially figured it out because there were some subtle hints dropped, rather than the plot twist coming out of nowhere.

@mZuzek knows which game I'm talking about, since I told him about this last year.

Hiku said:

I've watched games on Youtube that I thought I'd like, but ended up not liking.
And games I thought I'd dislike, but ended up liking.

I've also played games (for a few hours) and thought it seems alright, but I'm not in the mood for this type of game.
Only to come back to it a year later and realize it was quite different than I imagined, and ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

And there were also portions of the story that I straight up thought were poorly written, which put me off.
Then c.a. 30 hours later I find out there was additional context to it, and it was actually foreshadowing and a hint towards a plot twist. Which is something I like.
When you could have potentially figured it out because there were some subtle hints dropped, rather than the plot twist coming out of nowhere.

@mZuzek knows which game I'm talking about, since I told him about this last year.

It's definifely not LoD because you certain loved it from the moment you first booted it up, right?

Chazore said:

I almost want to ask people "have you ever tried death?. You can't say much about it unless you've tried it, because I know how batshit crazy that sounds, but that's what "you can't say shit unless you've touched it with two thumbs" sounds to me, as if using those things called eyes and ears aren't something you can use already to determine is something is good or not, let alone the tongue or nose for smelling and tasting.

I can't believe in all my years that I had to actually mention something so glaringly basic, on a site like this.

Imagine ignoring all of history, because it's easy to access and view for everyone to see, but because you didn't take part in a specific era of history, you don't get to judge the rest of history, like for real, that sounds completely fucking asinine and stupid.

Well, it sounds asinine and stupid, because it's a strawman argument, and that's what they're designed to be.

If you want to have people respect your opinion on something, you should do the best kind of research possible. In this case, playing the game is undoubtedly the best form of research you can do.

Our research ability is sometimes limited. For instance, I cannot fully investigate death, because the price of that investigation would be losing my life, and that's not a price I'm willing to pay. The price of researching TLOU2 would be spending 60 bucks, or whatever it is, and devoting however many hours it would take, which is a far more reasonable fee.

Which is not to say that you have to absolutely play it to have any opinion. I watched videos and read reviews of TLOU and decided based on that it wasn't the kind of game I'd enjoy, and that I wouldn't want to spend 60 dollars on it (which also applies to the sequel). I worked with what I had to make the most informed decision I could because obviously I can't buy and play everything, so I got to draw the line somewhere.

But the validity of my conclusions are going to be limited by the amount of research I did. Saying that it deserves or does not deserve to be GOTY is something I'm not going to say without having actually played the game. If I did, people would be perfectly justified in not taking my opinion very seriously.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

But the validity of my conclusions are going to be limited by the amount of research I did. Saying that it deserves or does not deserve to be GOTY is something I'm not going to say without having actually played the game. If I did, people would be perfectly justified in not taking my opinion very seriously.

It's better than gate-keeping with a personal set of rules to impose on others (when I know they don't even follow those rules, going from post history), while at the same time, wearing rose tinted glasses and ignoring anything else that was just as worthy, because it didn't fit their tinted shade specs. 

Chazore said:
JWeinCom said:

It's better than gate-keeping with a personal set of rules to impose on others (when I know they don't even follow those rules, going from post history), while at the same time, wearing rose tinted glasses and ignoring anything else that was just as worthy, because it didn't fit their tinted shade specs. 

Well, that's a deflection.

If someone's opinion on a game is purely based on seeing video of it, I'm generally not going to take their opinion on it very seriously in most regards (I mean they could have valid opinions on cutscenes and voice acting or w/e) and I think others are justified in being dismissive.

That is a perfectly reasonable use of "gate-keeping" based on a reasonable set of rules. If people aren't following them, then by all means, call them out when they don't. 

JWeinCom said:

If someone's opinion on a game is purely based on seeing video of it, I'm generally not going to take their opinion on it very seriously in most regards (I mean they could have valid opinions on cutscenes and voice acting or w/e) and I think others are justified in being dismissive.

That is a perfectly reasonable use of "gate-keeping" based on a reasonable set of rules. If people aren't following them, then by all means, call them out when they don't. 

There's deflection in this very thread, in regards to the TLOU II's shortcomings.

I find it a bit odd how reviews and even documentaries on something, cannot count towards swaying a decision, unless someone actually opts to waste money on something, only for them to decide "they didn't like it", while completely ignoring all the information that was available to them beforehand. 

If we go by those made up rules, then I guess a good chunk of this forum can never really talk or say nowt or any ill of any PC exclusive game then (yet we've had that for years and not much has been done about it, so I'm left asking you mods as to what is going on with this duality you've not presented).

Chazore said:
JWeinCom said:

There's deflection in this very thread, in regards to the TLOU II's shortcomings.

I find it a bit odd how reviews and even documentaries on something, cannot count towards swaying a decision, unless someone actually opts to waste money on something, only for them to decide "they didn't like it", while completely ignoring all the information that was available to them beforehand. 

If we go by those made up rules, then I guess a good chunk of this forum can never really talk or say nowt or any ill of any PC exclusive game then (yet we've had that for years and not much has been done about it, so I'm left asking you mods as to what is going on with this duality you've not presented).

I certainly haven't deflected any criticism of TLOU2. As established, I haven't played the game so I generally don't know if any particular criticism is valid or not.

I don't know what being a mod has to do with anything. I have not moderated you, nor have I threatened to. And, I've never moderated anyone just for speaking negatively about a game they haven't played. Not speaking for other mods, but my response to you was simply in my personal capacity telling you that I found your analogy to be shitty. Which is demonstrated by the fact that you can't actually defend it in any meaningful way except to point at other people.

As explained, you can indeed make a decision based on reviews or lets plays or whatever. In deciding whether or not to buy the game, that's the best information you could get (unless you can play it for free) so you got to go with it. That's what I did. But, since I only read reviews and watched gameplay videos, I recognize that my information is limited, and won't make any statement more bold than "I didn't think I'd enjoy it based on what I saw/read". Generally, if I haven't played a game, I'm not going to comment on its overall quality. Which again, isn't a an official rule, but I think a pretty sensible way to act. 

I'm assuming you'd agree the best way to have an informed opinion on a game is to play it. Watching videos of it would be a very distant second. Reading/listening to the assessment of someone who has played the game is a really distant third. Reading the assessment of someone who has only watched the game and read accounts from players is an incredibly distant fourth. 

So... If you were reading a review from someone and at the top of the review it said "note I have not played this game but I watched the entire thing on Youtube and read some reviews", would you consider that an informed opinion? Would you care what they had to say?

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 07 February 2021

BraLoD said:
Hiku said:

It's definifely not LoD because you certain loved it from the moment you first booted it up, right?

It's Nier Automata