By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are your Expectations or Wishes for the new "switch" 2021 ?

d21lewis said:
SKMBlake said:

The Wii U was basically a Wii model

And Nintendo always release new models during the lifecycle of their devices

The Wii was just a GameCube remodel.

I know and the Wii U was a beefed up beefed up Game Cube, that makes the Game Cube the best console ever

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

Exactly. After all, it could play the same discs.

Well purely form a technological standpoint the Wii was more or less a "Gamecube Pro" with a different imput method and a new OS.

Perhaps this is the best example of why a game console isn't solely defined by hardware specifications.

Louie said:

I expect the new model will allow us to play "docked mode" undocked. As almost every single Switch game features docked mode settings, the new model will just set itself to "docked" when you are playing in portable mode. Alternatively, users could be able to select "save battery", which would play the games in original handheld mode and prolong play-time by a few hours. This solution strikes me as very simple and easy for the users, while adding lots of value to the product without Nintendo having to put much work into; exactly something Nintendo would do.

For docked mode, I expect some sort of additional "power mode". Maybe automatic upscaling for games that haven't been optimized for the new hardware. But if devs want, they can make use of the extra power to optimize their games (instead of just an automatic resolution bump or smoother frame rate). 

Probably 64GB of internal storage, as this is most likely as cheap and widely available as 32GB was back in 2017.

Basically, I don't expect Nintendo to push any boundaries. That's their philosophy: They are not going to cram the most impressive CPU into that thing, just grab what is already available and cheap and safe to implement, while adding value to the product. Same happened with the Gameboy Color, the DSi and the New 3DS: Nintendo didn't design these consoles with a mindset of "let's make this powerful". Instead, they looked at the state of electronics and said: "X years have passed since the original product. This is the tried and proven technology that we can implement into the new model without increasing costs." If screens have progressed to make 1080p screens as cheap as 720p screens were in 2017, so be it. If there's an X2 processor that's as cheap as the X1 was in 2017, let's put it in. If 64GB of storage is as cheap as 32GB were in 2017, why not include that? That's basically how Nintendo thinks.

That's what I expect the Switch Plus to be, using a Tegra X2 or equivalent.

freebs2 said:
RolStoppable said:

Well purely form a technological standpoint the Wii was more or less a "Gamecube Pro" with a different imput method and a new OS.

Perhaps this is the best example of why a game console isn't solely defined by hardware specifications.

We see that with the current gen controls and OS. "This Is The Way."

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:

Tackled this a few months back, and then I said this:

I can see Nintendo releasing the TV only model as they already done the handheld only version.
And for this they would keep the same SoC and keep the same power envelope with the current devices.

My preference would be the hybrid Switch+ with improved battery life and performance.

This a Switch TV, thats cheaper than the Switch (handheld) would be a awesome thing for Nintendo sales.

Switch at 299$ is sold at a decent bit of profit imo (wouldn't be surprised if they now have like 50$ profit on each sale).
By removeing the battery, Screen, dock parts, ect... and makeing a Switch TV only in a cheap houseing.... you could probably save 100$ or so.

150$ Switch TV, that runs all Switch games (as docked) as well as the current switch does.

Don't even think about a new Switch unless you give us a mobile DLSS solution. There is no point in delivering the equivalent of a New3DS with some mild spec improvements, we just had a mild upgrade to the more efficient 12nm process. However, there could be a silent internal revision with some tweaks like 4K output support that might be useful for apps like video/game streaming.

Last edited by numberwang - on 04 December 2020

Around the Network

My guess is that it will be something like a larger screen Switch (like 3DS XL).

I really don't expect any changes to Framerate, Resolution, or Operating System; rather, any SoC changes would go to support an even longer battery life and possibly allow for removing the cooling fan and vents all together.

Along with that, I think they might change the exterior design a little to feel a little more seamless, as far as appearance and feel are concerned.

Other possible additions to the Nintendo Switch family could be: A Cheaper TV Only Switch (Like the Vita TV) or A Cheap Clamshell Switch Lite (Like GBA SP). Though, I think those would be more suitable for end of life low price models.

A higher performance Nintendo Switch could happen Fall 2021, but with the Switch user base close to 100m by then, it really wouldn't make any sense to split the user base with any exclusive games.

Then it would just be a higher priced revision for enthusiasts.

I just don't think Nintendo is going to aim at going that far up market to then be compared against the PS5 and XB4.

All but inevitable
-Better battery life
-Better dock
-More internal storage
-Better kickstand
-Faster processor
-Bigger screen (even if only by an inch or two)
-More 1080p/60 fps games
Maybe
-More RAM (Not expecting 8GB total, but maybe 2 more or 1 more dedicated to video)
-Higher resolution screen (Would not be more than 1080p. They might even compromise at 900p)
-1440p games in docked mode
-Select first-party remasters/remakes or third-party games only available on the New Model. We got a few of these physically with DSi and New 3DS.
Not happening
-4K resolution for games. Heck, we won't even get 4K for YouTube or Hulu.
-Overhauled OS
-Ethernet port

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

Don't forget the duct tape.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Leynos said:
B6a6es said:

Doubt we’ll see it in 2021 model, but definitely on Next Gen switch assuming it'll use a next gen Tegra chip, its gonna be a game changer for sure (similar to Apple Silicon)

I think the new model with be a custom chip. I don't think they can squeeze much more out of Mariko.  Not saying it will be some massive leap in power. Just might have some surprising features.

Mariko has lots more room to breathe.
Tegra X1/Switch debuted at 20nm planar... And got ported to TSMC 16nm FF (Which still uses the 20nm BEOL rules)... Porting Mariko to 12nm would be a piece of cake as 12nm is based on the 16nm design rules which in turn is based on 20nm.

TSMC 12nm vs 16nm would bring with it: 25% power reduction, 10% more performance, 20% smaller chip... You could throw away some of those power reductions to increase performance even more.

Obviously to extend past that (I.E. 10nm/7nm) would require a complete silicon respin...

For me personally I want a Switch TV with a higher clocked chip for higher average dynamic resolutions and higher framerates, a Switch TV would theoretically be able to sustain higher thermals/TDP, so a die-shrink isn't necessary.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I'm happy to wait 2 more years for a real successor and better thought to the whole system and an OS rich with features.

Not sure how a more powerful dock would work if that is all they released for this model of switch? Is the port on Switch fast enough to help with computational power? If not that would mean a new port on a revised switch, which means we would have to upgrade the switch to get the benefit. If that is the case they may as well do it properly with the next gen switch model.

I saw someone mention OLED screen. TBH not sure I would want one. I noticed that the latest OLED screens on smartphone experience screen burn with 2-3years of daily use. I have older phones with OLED screens that do not experience such bad screen burn. Guess they cut back on quality of materials or manufacturing process.