By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2020

 

Best selling family this month (units)?

Nintendo family 69 77.53%
 
Playstation family 19 21.35%
 
XBOX family 1 1.12%
 
Total:89

Nintendo under supply during launches to increase demand legs, it seems to work for them to be less top heavy and more bottom phat

Last edited by Rab - on 12 December 2020

Around the Network

Some of you might be asking has the stock situation improved for the Switch this December. And based off of what im seeing ill say yes. I work at Walmart so nearly everyday I'm able to see how much Switch stock is available and I've been seeing more Switch's in stock and on store shelves, and throughout 2020 its been extremely rare to see a regular Switch in Walmart 's shelves and the days we do have them they sell out extremely quick. However, there is still plenty of stock for Switch lites but I noticed that the demand for the Switch Lite is no where near the demand of the regular Switch. When we get Switch's in stock it sells out within a couple of hours while for the Switch Lite it takes days to get it off of store shelves. So really what matters is how much OG Nintendo Switch's Nintendo could produce since there is more than enough supply for the Switch Lite. While I have been seeing OG Switch's finally on the shelves it still seems rare to see one as id see the regular Switch on shelves once every few weeks, and it still seems like my Walmart isn't getting enough Switch's to Meet demand, which is concerning. I know its only 1 Walmart compared to thousand of other places that sell Switch's but usually a store's shipments can exemplify the average amount of stock going into stores. Based off of what I see it still isn't enough so I dont expect a major increase in December, however I do expect an increase based off of the more Switch's I'm seeing in stock.



javi741 said:

Some of you might be asking has the stock situation improved for the Switch this December. And based off of what im seeing ill say yes. I work at Walmart so nearly everyday I'm able to see how much Switch stock is available and I've been seeing more Switch's in stock and on store shelves, and throughout 2020 its been extremely rare to see a regular Switch in Walmart 's shelves and the days we do have them they sell out extremely quick. However, there is still plenty of stock for Switch lites but I noticed that the demand for the Switch Lite is no where near the demand of the regular Switch. When we get Switch's in stock it sells out within a couple of hours while for the Switch Lite it takes days to get it off of store shelves. So really what matters is how much OG Nintendo Switch's Nintendo could produce since there is more than enough supply for the Switch Lite. While I have been seeing OG Switch's finally on the shelves it still seems rare to see one as id see the regular Switch on shelves once every few weeks, and it still seems like my Walmart isn't getting enough Switch's to Meet demand, which is concerning. I know its only 1 Walmart compared to thousand of other places that sell Switch's but usually a store's shipments can exemplify the average amount of stock going into stores. Based off of what I see it still isn't enough so I dont expect a major increase in December, however I do expect an increase based off of the more Switch's I'm seeing in stock.

Well for what is worth (nothing much since it is a personal fact), I've been checking stocks on shelves at my Walmart and made similar observation to yours. Still, where I couldn't see any stock back in October or November. I've seen a few finally pop up during December while not lasting long since they were gone after the weekend. Lite sales are much more plentiful and slow to sale in comparison, yet they do sale a few each time I come back, so much that they migh actually replace the Coral color edition at some point soon.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Shadow1980 said:
Evilms said:

I see you found the chart I posted over at Era and added to it. Are those your estimates, or did actual numbers get posted somewhere?

By NPD we know that the PS5 did more than the PS4 but less than the Switch, and the XSX/S did less well than the One which gives us :

1.35m > PS5 > 1.14m
XSX/S < 0.91m



Evilms said:

By NPD we know that the PS5 did more than the PS4 but less than the Switch, and the XSX/S did less well than the One which gives us :

1.35m > PS5 > 1.14m
XSX/S < 0.91m

Yeah, I know. I mentioned that in earlier posts. So those are just your estimates, then. I guess that explains why you just left the vertical axis the same as what I put it at and just put the PS5 at just under the 1200k mark.



Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Ah yes, ol' Ryuzaki predictably looking for an angle to spin this as a win for PS over Nintendo when Switch was the highest selling system.

Oh, he's a known face? Maybe even from VGC?

Regarding the "win", don't get too caught up in it. We all know that Switch was the best selling individual console. Though I remember a lot of "family sales" posts in the past (e.g. in Wii U + 3DS years) so this is hardly a new thing. But I guess you see it as spin because you know this Ryuzaki?



Valdney said:
RolStoppable said:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe surged in the software charts, up 6 from #20 to #14.

How long until Furukawa slams his fist on the table and orders Nintendo's developers to make another SMB game...

The price was cut by half during Black Friday. But the demand never stops and, it is indeed incredible what a game that was originally released in 2012 is still  doing now.  2D Mario is, beyond any doubt, the biggest Nintendo IP. 

If the price was temporarily cut, then that means even more unit sales, because NPD's chart is based on revenue.

If Nintendo doesn't make a new Super Mario Bros. game for Switch, then NSMBU Deluxe has a high chance of going beyond 20m copies sold globally.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
Valdney said:

The price was cut by half during Black Friday. But the demand never stops and, it is indeed incredible what a game that was originally released in 2012 is still  doing now.  2D Mario is, beyond any doubt, the biggest Nintendo IP. 

If the price was temporarily cut, then that means even more unit sales, because NPD's chart is based on revenue.

If Nintendo doesn't make a new Super Mario Bros. game for Switch, then NSMBU Deluxe has a high chance of going beyond 20m copies sold globally.

Agreed. Unit sales must br extremely high as it dropped as low as $30 dollars on some major retailers.

US eshop dropped the price as well so digital must have been good as well which NPD doesnt factor.



tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:
Ah yes, ol' Ryuzaki predictably looking for an angle to spin this as a win for PS over Nintendo when Switch was the highest selling system.

Oh, he's a known face? Maybe even from VGC?

Regarding the "win", don't get too caught up in it. We all know that Switch was the best selling individual console. Though I remember a lot of "family sales" posts in the past (e.g. in Wii U + 3DS years) so this is hardly a new thing. But I guess you see it as spin because you know this Ryuzaki?

Yes, Ryuzaki used to be a member here who would jumps through hoops to find any way to make Nintendo look bad.



Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Replicant said:

Oh, he's a known face? Maybe even from VGC?

Regarding the "win", don't get too caught up in it. We all know that Switch was the best selling individual console. Though I remember a lot of "family sales" posts in the past (e.g. in Wii U + 3DS years) so this is hardly a new thing. But I guess you see it as spin because you know this Ryuzaki?

Yes, Ryuzaki used to be a member here who would jumps through hoops to find any way to make Nintendo look bad.

Reminds me of the guy who also called himself Maxleresistant.

You had a bunch of these when the WiiU era was about to end.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909