By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:

So let's talk about Leadified and his method, because that might actually be contributing to the current problem.  I can see now that a low score is good.  However, #50 gets 50pts, and unlisted gets 60pts.  That means just being on someone's list improves it's score by 10.  That means that if you have a lot of Mario/Zelda games that appear in the 30-50 range on many people's lists then they are really going to shoot up in the rankings, even if most of those voters don't really want to see that game in the top 10 and it is on their own list.  So, one simple thing you can do is just make unlisted games worth 51pts instead of 60pts.

I agree with this.  All this does is to give an unneeded bonus to games that show up in a lot of lists.  Those games are going to end up with high rankings anyway.  This is probably the biggest factor in hurting games that score high in a few lists, but get completely left off most others.  It would also be a simple change and not involve any complicated math or formulas.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Master Quest
Wii U - Currently Gaming Like It's 2015 - Super Mario Maker
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network

People just should come to terms with the fact that Nintendo is the best.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

Booo!

Don't worry, I think I'm close to cracking the formula here. It's gonna look good

Edit: okay, maybe I'm not that close.

Last edited by mZuzek - on 20 January 2021

Alright, it's done!

I... gave up, honestly. I tried so many different systems, many of which initially looked good, but all of which ultimately failed at the basic task of the thing: which is to never have a game's score worsened by an additional vote. So, yeah, that's it. I'm going back to the original system, but with a small alteration which will lessen the impact of a game not featuring in a list. This little change will have an impact on the results, but only as little as the change itself. Looking through the list, it's a very minor difference.

Anyways, that's that. After two days of thinking hard about this, I couldn't come up with a definitive solution. Maybe another year, I suppose. Now it's time to move onto the other bits of work to finally get these results out there. Thread will be up in a few days.

mZuzek said:

Alright, it's done!

I... gave up, honestly. I tried so many different systems, many of which initially looked good, but all of which ultimately failed at the basic task of the thing: which is to never have a game's score worsened by an additional vote. So, yeah, that's it. I'm going back to the original system, but with a small alteration which will lessen the impact of a game not featuring in a list. This little change will have an impact on the results, but only as little as the change itself. Looking through the list, it's a very minor difference.

Anyways, that's that. After two days of thinking hard about this, I couldn't come up with a definitive solution. Maybe another year, I suppose. Now it's time to move onto the other bits of work to finally get these results out there. Thread will be up in a few days.

I am looking forward to the results and thanks for your work hosting this exciting event each year!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

I think it's a close tie between Nintendo and Sony. Nintendo has been around longer and has certainly pushed the envelope more in creativity and innovation, but Sony has just been a powerhouse of consistent quality with tonnes of variety. It's so very hard to chose between Nintendo or Sony first party titles, but I do think Nintendo wins. I concede! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

mZuzek said:

Alright, it's done!

I am sure there is some underlying issue, but without looking at the data I can only make blind guesses.  For example, what if next year people could only pick so many games from the same franchise?  Not sure if that would help or hurt.

Thank you for all of the work you are putting into this.  I appreciate and look forward to this year's results.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
mZuzek said:

I am sure there is some underlying issue, but without looking at the data I can only make blind guesses.  For example, what if next year people could only pick so many games from the same franchise?  Not sure if that would help or hurt.

That can only hurt. If someone has 30 Mario games in their all-time favorites list, then let them be. It's their favorites list for a reason, I don't wanna interfere with people's individual lists. Personally I find that much more valuable than the compiled results, anyway.

Alright, the results are up!

HELLO PEOPLE @TruckOSaurus @mZuzek @ARamdomGamer @Veknoid_Outcast @Raven @axumblade @Flilix @forest-spirit @The_Liquid_Laser @Jpcc86 @Darashiva @Machina @Platina @Bofferbrauer2 @Ultrashroomz @Jaicee @S.Peelman @Darwinianevolution @Cerebralbore101 @UnderwaterFunktown @Mnementh @Shadow1980 @Hiku @NobleTeam360 @OTBWY @Moren @GoOnKid @sales2099 @Link_Nines.XBC @derpysquirtle64 @IcaroRibeiro @Kjartan @Eric2048 @BraLoD @FarleyMcFirefly @shikamaru317 @DroidKnight @KiigelHeart @YukikoAmagi @curl-6 @Iveyboi @Angelus @rapsuperstar31 @Link_knight30 @AlbiNecroxz @Salnax @kirby007 @Pajderman @dane007 @theRepublic @Vinther1991 @d21lewis @PAOerfulone @LimaBean01 @Hynad @Fei-Hung @Kantor @Mar1217 @cosmic_drift @Landale_Star @RingoGaSuki @Kresnik @Fuchigole @StarDoor @Runa216 @drbunnig @killeryoshis @Supermario28 @AkimboCurly @green_sky @Farsala @chakkra @Snesboy @Ka-pi96 

Go check out the results here!!

And well, also, that's gonna do it for this year's event, and consequently for this thread. It's been a fun ride, hoping to see you all back for more in November!