By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event! Discussion Thread - Day #33

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:
#41Descent
guessed byThe_Liquid_Laser again (4th year in a row)

This is probably the only FPS game that I've ever liked.  The fact that I could travel in three dimensions and turn myself upside down really messed with my head, but I liked it.  I also liked Bioshock, but I liked it IN SPITE OF the fact it was a FPS.  With Descent I had fun both just shooting and exploring.  It's a great game.

Another cool thing is, that back then devs often delivered their tools (aka level editors) with the game. Which lead to many cool and crazy user created levels. As the level-editor was special in that way, you could place multiple rooms at the same place in 3D-space. So you leave a room, circle back through a cavern and land in a different room, although you were at the same place in 3D. That fucks with your mind.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Mnementh said:

Time for the next game to guess. And #37 is unguessed so far, so I add a hint.

#40: Resident Evil as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

#39: Baldur's Gate III guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
After 20 years finally we get the third mainline entry, for the moment in early access.

#38: Pikmin guessed by cosmic_drift
Your spaceship crashed on this strange planet and you need to find it's missing parts.

Your first task: dig out a skull.
Said skull gives you pointers what to do next.

Climb enormous statues of gods to enjoy the view.

fossil fighters?

nope

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

Hint #1: The run&gun series is well known for their hilarious and top-notch sprite animations.

Hint #2: In this remake of an early title of this series, you first fight through an army of soldiers, but end up fighting off an alien invasion halfway through the game.

#41: Greetings, Warlord! Let the war begin!

#40: A very unusual RTS in space, where you start with a small capital ship and 3 planets to govern, but the map (and thus the number of planets to govern) and fleet grows at specific points in the story when you reach a new rank.

#39: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! yourself Mnementh for finding out it's Serious Sam: The First Encounter 

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 22 November 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:

#48: One of the latest games for the Neo-Geo, but also one of the best - and certainly the best of it's series

Hint #1: The run&gun series is well known for their hilarious and top-notch sprite animations.

Hint #2: In this remake of an early title of this series, you first fight through an army of soldiers, but end up fighting off an alien invasion halfway through the game.

#40: A very unusual RTS in space, where you start with a small capital ship and 3 planets to govern, but the map (and thus the number of planets to govern) and fleet grows at specific points in the story when you reach a new rank.

#39: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

#39: AAAAAAAHHHHHHH yourself... Serious Sam

Last edited by Mnementh - on 22 November 2020

Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

#39: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Uh-oh!

But yeah, you're right. And I intended to use the AAAHHH yourself as first hint, with the Uh-oh! as second one...

I still prefer playing the original releases over their remakes. The original CroEngine was top-notch when it came out, but the re-releases looked downright ugly when they came out compared to other contemporary titles.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:

Uh-oh!

But yeah, you're right.

I still prefer playing the original releases over their remakes. The original CroEngine was top-notch when it came out, but the re-releases looked downright ugly when they came out compared to other contemporary titles.

First video that turned up for the scene. Which is iconic I think.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Metal Slug... 5? I think that was the last one released on the Neo Geo. 

My Most Recent Articles:

1. The $70 Lie

2. Video Game Music Spotlight #16: Exploring the World

3. Forgotten Gems #11: Uniracers/Unirally

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

#40 Braid

Not even sure how to describe Braid. It's a platformer that lets you rewind time. You can't really die. That's how it starts. The game then takes this simple twist and slowly but surely builds on this premise in ways you couldn't imagine. It messes with your mind and your perception right up to the haunting and disturbing ending. An absolute must play.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Darashiva said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Metal Slug... 5? I think that was the last one released on the Neo Geo. 

It's not quite that old. Also, it's not a remake of any earlier titles like Hint #2 points out, but the series is correct.

50 - This game's theme song was so popular and well-liked they released it on the video game Rock Band
- The campaign is only about 4-5 hours long on a first playthrough but as little as 1-2 for experienced players.

49 - The PS2 and Xbox 360 versions of the game were mostly identical but the Xbox 360 version had a bit more unique content.
- This game is what really propelled a genre into he mainstream, only to have it fizzle out a few years later.

48 - This beloved classic leaned into the genre's more campy elements and is widely considered a masterpiece for it.
- It might be one of the most remastered and rereleased games of all time, and the company recently redid its prequels to great success.

47 - This game left people wondering if the protagonist was human or not, given his relations to other humans within the game world.
- It is also one of the highest rated games of all time and the best-selling in its franchise.

46 - Your ally is a vegetable and your enemy is an idiot.
- This game is a sequel to another game already on the list.

45 - What's gravity? Infinity, that's what.
- This game got a remake that sold better than the original.

44 - Axiom Verge

43 - The Messenger

42 - For the first time ever in this sequel, you can play as the main hero's best friend in their own unique campaign.
- It is the fourth entry in the series, which is in its own is a side-series to a game that has been around since the NES

41 - Red Dead Redemption