By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Runa216 said:

A Little update:

50 - Portal
49 - Guitar Hero II
48 - Resident Evil 4
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
46 - Portal 2
45 - Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
44 - Axiom Verge
43 - The Messenger
42 - Mega Man X4
41 - Red Dead Redemption
40 - Minecraft
39 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

38 - This platformer brings back the world map style of a predecessor in the 90's

37 - Terraria

36 - Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Laid

35 - Demon's Souls

34 - This game is the 4th entry in a series that builds upon itself with sequels, meaning almost all the contents from parts 1-3 can also be played in this game.

33 - Donkey Kong Country

32 - Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

31 - Dark Souls

30 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

38.  New Super Mario Bros Wii.  (That was the game I originally meant, but typed the wrong one, lol.)

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

38.  New Super Mario Bros Wii.  (That was the game I originally meant, but typed the wrong one, lol.)

Also no! Very close, though. I mean, it's the world map, not the level map. So, like one big open world map! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints:

25. a) This MMO from a well known franchise managed to pass Everquest in total number of subscribers.  Of course, about a year after the game's North American launch World of Warcraft was released and completely dwarfed it in popularity.
b) Originally, combat in this game revolved around parties performing skillchains together.  After the success of WoW, this game changed a lot of it's mechanics and skillchains became less important.

24.  In this 80's arcade game you can shoot monsters or drop apples on them.

25 - RuneScape? 

24 - Gauntlet?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Kantor said:

31 and 29 are correct. I miss the god game genre and he was so good at it :(

I couldn't get into The Binding of Isaac at all, but not a bad guess. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:

29: Populous: The Beginning?

28: Civilization IV?

29 is correct as above.

28 is very close, but Nimoy passed away five years ago.

Civilization V then

That's the one.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Runa216 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Also no! Very close, though. I mean, it's the world map, not the level map. So, like one big open world map! 

Galaxy 2

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

30) The final boss fight in this game is LONG and if you're unlucky (like yours truly) it can heal itself to full health.

Hint 2: This game got a rhythm game spinoff over a decade after it's first release.

Persona 3?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

TruckOSaurus said:
Runa216 said:

Galaxy 2

IT's NEw Super Mario Bros U. Deluxe! You know, big open world map, alternative paths, secret exits and tricks, etc. I absolutely love NSMBU, it reminds me in all the right ways of Super Mario World and I actually get irrationally angry when people tell me it's bland or boring. It's easily by far and away the best of the NSMB games, with the most interesting level designs and themes. 

Sure, it shares a lot of hazards and enemies from prior games, but I just went through it again on Switch and I honestly found it quite refreshing! Even without my hesitation or desire to like it (I was trying to be critical of it to see why so many people dislike it), I found it to be a genuinely great game! 

Then Super Mario Maker came along and that's like 99% troll levels and gimmick shit. I can't even stand watching other people play that game. It's a shame, too. But Super Mario Maker showed to me how important the interconnected world design and sense of progression matters in a Mario game. The individual levels don't really mean much to me at all and never have. It's the sense of finding secrets, of exploring the world, of mystery that I like. That's why my favourite 2D mario games are Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and NSMB U. All the ones with the world maps and the secrets. Other games have world maps (NSMB1, 2, and Wii), but none really felt like there was much to hide or much to explore. To this day, after beating SMW probably 100+ times, I still find little things and alternate routes and secrets I didn't know about. 

That's all I got for now. but yeah, I absolutely LOVE NSMBU, and I will fight to the death on behalf of its quality! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

UnderwaterFunktown said:

28) Guess I might as well take a stab at it now that I know it's a Dreamcast game: Skies of Arcadia?

27) Super Mario Galaxy?

26) Modern Warfare 2 then?

Super Mario Galaxy is correct!

28 and 26 aren't. For 26 I implied my game's older than 4 though.

Mnementh said:

#29: Hmm, maybe the Blade Runner adventure from 1997?

#28: So many great Dreamcast exclusives. I put my money on Jet Set Radio.

Both incorrect. I don't know about the Blade Runner adventure. Does that start with rain? I guess there's plenty of games that do, but there's one in particular that really fits me.

I'll give new hints for all the games in my next post, except 27 obviously.

Ultrashroomz said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

30) The final boss fight in this game is LONG and if you're unlucky (like yours truly) it can heal itself to full health.

Hint 2: This game got a rhythm game spinoff over a decade after it's first release.

Persona 3?

Exactly

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Real second hints;

#30: From a subway on -6 to a cathedral on 100.

Hint 2: And in between that you can build all kinds of other stuff, like offices, shops, condos, hotel rooms and grand lobbies. Guessed by Bofferbrauer2 - SimTower

#29: Should have checked the forecast before going outside, it's rainy.

Hint 2: You need to go though, the princess telepathically called for you. Luckily the castle isn't far. Guessed by Mnementh - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

#28: This game made me not get a PS2.

Hint 2: It's great graphics and buttery smooth swordplay proved the Dreamcast was already good enough. And big swords is the name of the game. Guessed by Mnementh - Soulcalibur

#27: Somehow, the creators of this game actually managed to make walking upside down and around feel natural and intuitive. Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown - Super Mario Galaxy

#26: A multiplayer level, probably the most famous one in all of this now decently long lasting and certainly well selling franchise, is based on a real-life town which is also featured in an unrelated tv miniseries (which does have the same subject) looking eerily similar to how it looks in this game.

Hint 2: The multiplayer map I'm talking about in this Call of Duty game is based on a real town in France. After it's original inclusion in the game I'm looking for, it was also included in the sequel, remastered with a different setting in CoD4 and remade as DLC some time later again in one of the newer games. Guessed UnderwaterFunktown - Call of Duty

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 04 December 2020