By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Now that I'm back from VGChartz Jail for being an astute observer, some more stuff!

50 - Portal
49 - Guitar Hero II
48 - Resident Evil 4
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
46 - Portal 2
45 - Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
44 - Axiom Verge
43 - The Messenger
42 - Mega Man X4
41 - Red Dead Redemption
40 - Minecraft
39 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

38 - This platformer brings back the world map style of a predecessor in the 90's

37 - 2D minecraft with fantasy elements.

36 - 2D sidescrolling platformer that is a sequel to a poorly recieved kickstarter.

35 - This game just got a remake and helped to create and define a subgenre

34 - This game is the 4th entry in a series that builds upon itself with sequels, meaning almost all the contents from parts 1-3 can also be played in this game.

33 - Best Selling SNES game that doesn't feature Mario.

32 - This threequel's title is a cheeky play on words for anal sex.

31 - When Sony opted not to buy the rights to this game, it went multiplatform. It was so successful that Sony asked the company to make a game in this style for the PS4.

30 - Yarrrrrrrrrr....and I guess magical artifacts that nobody cares about.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Now that I'm back from VGChartz Jail for being an astute observer, some more stuff!

50 - Portal
49 - Guitar Hero II
48 - Resident Evil 4
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
46 - Portal 2
45 - Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
44 - Axiom Verge
43 - The Messenger
42 - Mega Man X4
41 - Red Dead Redemption
40 - Minecraft

38 - This platformer brings back the world map style of a predecessor in the 90's

36 - 2D sidescrolling platformer that is a sequel to a poorly recieved kickstarter.

34 - This game is the 4th entry in a series that builds upon itself with sequels, meaning almost all the contents from parts 1-3 can also be played in this game.

31 - When Sony opted not to buy the rights to this game, it went multiplatform. It was so successful that Sony asked the company to make a game in this style for the PS4.

38: Super Mario 3D World

37: Terraria

35: Warcraft III

33: Donkey Kong Country

31: Spider-Man 2?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

38: Super Mario 3D World

37: Terraria

35: Warcraft III

33: Donkey Kong Country

31: Spider-Man 2?

38 - Nope! But you're in the right franchise

37 - Yep! 

35 - Nope! don't like RTS games (or PC games). 

33 - Yep! 

31 - Nope! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

50 - Portal
49 - Guitar Hero II
48 - Resident Evil 4
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
46 - Portal 2
45 - Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
44 - Axiom Verge
43 - The Messenger
42 - Mega Man X4
41 - Red Dead Redemption
40 - Minecraft

36) Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair?

32) Rachet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal?

31) Dark Souls maybe?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Runa216 said:

50 - Portal
49 - Guitar Hero II
48 - Resident Evil 4
47 - Super Mario Odyssey
46 - Portal 2
45 - Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
44 - Axiom Verge
43 - The Messenger
42 - Mega Man X4
41 - Red Dead Redemption
40 - Minecraft

#32: South Park: The Fractured but whole

#31 Demon's Souls

#30 AssCreed Black Flag

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Whoops, fallen a little behind. I don't think anyone got 31 so I'll make it easier.

31) A spiritual successor to a game with quite mediocre reviews that completely changes everything but the concept. A prequel came out in 2018 and had excellent reviews, though I found it very slow. Developed in San Diego by a studio whose Scotland branch develops a hugely popular crime series.

Red Dead Redemption

30) The campaign sees you travel across Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia chasing a powerful and ambitious cyclops, whilst fighting alongside and against other mythical characters.

29) This god game, the third in its series, replaces its predecessors' isometric view with a fully rotating 3D overhead view. The lead developer went on to make another god game, a series of RPGs and then a bunch of conceptual experiments that nobody really liked.

Populous: The Beginning

28) This game's narrator, who reads out quotes as you advance scientifically, sadly passed away last year.

Civilization V

27) This sequel to a rebooting of a classic FPS series continues to add further RPG elements. The game also adds a spaceship that serves as your home base, and a 2v1 multiplayer mode where two humans fight an array of demons controlled by the third player.

26) Seeing this game's secret ending requires you to eat a bunch of umbilical cords, raising your level of perception so you can see the final boss.

Last edited by Kantor - on 03 December 2020

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

#30: Capitalism, ho!

Hint #1: You have to pay back the debt accumulated by your father by selling stuff, most of them being adventuring related. 

Hint #2: You get the items to sell at your store either from the quartermaster who supplies most of the (unseen) stores in town, from the little stalls at the market, but mostly from the dungeon since those are of course free. For this end you hire a hero to fight for you while you transport the goods you find in chests or from monster drops, hidden under a shield and invisibility spell, so only your chosen warrior can get hit.

Hint #3: It was one of the first indie PC games from Japan to get officially translated to English in 2010 (outside of games that were in English to begin with).

#27: Game over, yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Hint #1: "Very long easy right, baby"

#25: Your main quest in this game is to get the GECK for your dying tribal town.

#24: The game starts by your ship floating through a meteorite field from an Asteroid mining facility and your main character being unconscious.

#23: Still in early access, this game lets you be god of an entire planet inhabited by human-like creatures called nuggets.

Kantor said:

Whoops, fallen a little behind. I don't think anyone got 31 so I'll make it easier.

31) A spiritual successor to a game with quite mediocre reviews that completely changes everything but the concept. A prequel came out in 2018 and had excellent reviews, though I found it very slow. Developed in San Diego by a studio whose Scotland branch develops a hugely popular crime series.

30) The campaign sees you travel across Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia chasing a powerful and ambitious cyclops

29) This god game, the third in its series, replaces its predecessors' isometric view with a fully rotating 3D overhead view. The lead developer went on to make another god game, a series of RPGs and then a bunch of conceptual experiments that nobody really liked.

28) This game's narrator, who reads out quotes as you advance scientifically, sadly passed away last year.

27) This sequel to a rebooting of a classic FPS series continues to add further RPG elements.

26) Seeing this game's secret ending requires you to eat a bunch of umbilical cords

#31 Red Dead Redemption

#29 I didn't even knew there were more than one Populous game but your description of the game and Peter Molyneux is very spot on, so Populous: The Beginning apparently.

#26 I have no real idea, but Umbilical Cords make me think this might be The Binding of Isaac

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Kantor said:

30) The campaign sees you travel across Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia chasing a powerful and ambitious cyclops

27) This sequel to a rebooting of a classic FPS series continues to add further RPG elements.

26) Seeing this game's secret ending requires you to eat a bunch of umbilical cords

29: Populous: The Beginning?

28: Civilization IV?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Kantor said:

29: Populous: The Beginning?

28: Civilization IV?

Ha! Faster again on Populous. (-: