By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:

#40 Minecraft eventually?

Yep! I mean, I've moved on but damn that game really did change the world, didn't it? I could see myself returning to it some day but I'm content as I am.

TruckOSaurus said:

#46: Portal 2 (I'll never trust GLaDOS enough to call her my ally though)

Also yes! Kinda shocked it took this long and that blatant of a hint! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

More hints:

39) Tomatoes are an important plotpoint in this JRPG. For some reason.

Hint 2: It's a direct sequel in a series that rarely does direct sequels.

38) Not as solid as other games in the franchise, probably since it comes from one of the softer metals

Hint 2: Kantor had the right idea. Well, almost:

Kantor said:

My initial thought was one of the MGS games that doesn't feature Solid Snake, but that's actually most of them...

37) A bunch of shrooms make people real mad

36) Cant spell remake without those 2 letters.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

More hints:

38) Not as solid as other games in the franchise, probably since it comes from one of the softer metals

Kantor said:

My initial thought was one of the MGS games that doesn't feature Solid Snake, but that's actually most of them...

38 - Metal Gear Rising, perhaps?

37 - TLOU

36 - Resident Evil 2... remake?

Jpcc86 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

More hints:

38 - Metal Gear Rising, perhaps?

37 - TLOU

36 - Resident Evil 2... remake?

You sir are three-for-three.

40) Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

I love a good third-person action adventure. I'm not a Lord of the Rings superfan, but any fantasy aficionado loves the setting. Nonetheless there haven't been a lot of great combinations of the two - but this game, with its creative liberties and its comfortable distance from the plot of the novels/movies - manages it. The combat isn't particularly original (Arkham-esque) but its combination with the setting makes it feel fresh. I also loved the Nemesis system, and the character of the individual Uruk really added some depth to what was otherwise actually quite a vestigial story. Fundamentally though I just really like solid open-world games that feel neither overcrowded nor vacuous and allow me to soar across a beautiful map leaving destruction in my wake, and this game lets me do that.

Hints!

39 - Everyone knows things look different with a different perspective - but they also look different running in the opposite direction.

Braid

38 - The game that taught Medieval history to a generation of children, myself included

Age of Empires II

37 - An iconic duo take some time apart as one focuses on his family and the other on his career

36 - Advertised as having revolutionary NPC AI, which ultimately turned out to be so bad it's the basis for a meme format - this game's music over a conversation

35 - We couldn't figure out how to follow on from the last game's story, so we'll pretend you actually failed the campaign and Earth was conquered - and go from there. 

Last edited by Kantor - on 23 November 2020

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:

35 - We couldn't figure out how to follow on from the last game's story, so we'll pretend you actually failed the campaign and go from there

TLOZ Majora's Mask?

Kantor said:

I love a good third-person action adventure. I'm not a Lord of the Rings superfan, but any fantasy aficionado loves the setting. Nonetheless there haven't been a lot of great combinations of the two - but this game, with its creative liberties and its comfortable distance from the plot of the novels/movies - manages it. The combat isn't particularly original (Arkham-esque) but its combination with the setting makes it feel fresh. I also loved the Nemesis system, and the character of the individual Uruk really added some depth to what was otherwise actually quite a vestigial story. Fundamentally though I just really like solid open-world games that feel neither overcrowded nor vacuous and allow me to soar across a beautiful map leaving destruction in my wake, and this game lets me do that.

Hints!

39 - Everyone knows things look different with a different perspective - but they also look different running in the opposite direction.

38 - The game that taught Medieval history to a generation of children, myself included

39) Braid?

38) Age of Empires?

Kantor said:

Hints!

37 - An iconic duo take some time apart as one focuses on his family and the other on his career

36 - Advertised as having revolutionary NPC AI, which ultimately turned out to be so bad it's the basis for a meme format

35 - We couldn't figure out how to follow on from the last game's story, so we'll pretend you actually failed the campaign and go from there

39: Fez?

38: Age of Empires II? (Though I found Civilization more educational in that regard - but Civ ain't just about the medieval ages.)

36: Aliens: Colonial Marines?

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 23 November 2020

Runa216 said:

50 - Portal

49 - Guitar Hero 2

48 - Resident Evil 4

47 - Super Mario Odyssey

46 - Your ally is a vegetable and your enemy is an idiot.
- This game is a sequel to another game already on the list.
- This sequel added a co-op mode that, while not as story rich, I've never actually completed due to not having a coop partner to do it with!
- "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your D*** lemons, what the h*** am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

45 - Mario Kart 8

44 - Axiom Verge

43 - The Messenger

42 - Mega Man X4

41 - Red Dead Redemption

40 - This game helped to popularize the idea of selling to customers before the official game was released.
- It is one of the best-selling games of all time and has popularized a subgenre including procedural generation.

39 - This game is heavily featured on GameMaker's Toolkit, for its episodic level design that improves on 2D Mario's formula.

39 Super Mario Maker?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

39 Super Mario Maker?

Nope! I actually dislike Mario Maker because I've learned in my time that in 2D Mario games I care  less about the individual level designs and care a lot more about interconnected world design, secrets, and personal progression. That's why my favourite 2D mario games are Super Mario World and another game on this list that might surprise you! (I've not added it to the list yet.)

But no, for this entry it's not Mario. Tangentially related to mario, but it's not Mario. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android