By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:
Jpcc86 said:

Astral Chain

That was quick

I would say it was easy, the first thing that came to mind with your hint.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Mnementh said:

I would say it was easy, the first thing that came to mind with your hint.

It wasn't my hardest hint for sure, but I still wasn't expecting it to be answered this fast, given how slow-paced the thread's been this year. The game isn't too popular, which I thought would be another factor, but to be fair it does seem like plenty of people at VGC have played it.

I just happened to be reading the last hints since yesterday, and Astral Chain is one my favorite games of the Switch, it was the first thing that came to mind. 

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

• Sony PlayStation 3
  • Guessed by Jpcc86

This impressive game basically immortalised the PlayStation 3. It is the definitive game to own on the system that sets it apart from all other systems. It is also the greatest effort by its developer, and evidently no corners were cut judging by how polished it is.

Gameplay, tight control, level design, character design, story and the technical aspects are all top notch. Personally I was already quite impressed by the game's prologue. An escape from a derailed train that's breaking apart, and then struggling through snow until you find the important artefact.

To me, Uncharted 3 is actually not that far behind this one. Some years I'll also include that one in the list. I like the less supernatural tone of the story in that one a bit more than I do the story in this game, and it looks even better, but I think it goes without saying that when gameplay concerns, this one reigns supreme.

Mega Man 2

• Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Guessed by TruckOSaurus

Talking tight controls, Mega Man 2 is definitely a contender for that crown. On of my favourite NES games, I played it decades after it's prime. Still, not exactly recently, but let's say we at least already had a blue-ray or two. There was a year where I figured I'd go on a buying spree on eBay and Marktplaats (like a Dutch eBay), and buy a whole bunch of NES and SNES games. I bought the the two NES Zelda games of course, which I didn't personally have, and other complete classics. Like Mega Man 2.

This game features quite a nifty save feature. Not a battery powered one like the Zelda games, or a simple password, but a tic-tac-toe game. Because the first half of the game is not linear, the developers though up a way to create unique codes for each possible combination of the order of the levels. To continue, you have to put in set of balls in a grid of squares in a specific way. With my game, I still have a set of papers with the codes drawn on them.

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

• Windows PC
  • Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

The best Jedi centered game ever made. Combat focused anyway. Maybe its mechanics are a bit simple, but they are immensely satisfying. Especially after you get the lightsaber, also known as the best weapon ever invented, going through the levels and fighting the enemies will put a smile on your face. Fighting with it is basically strafing left and right while pressing the attack button, but the blade slices through those Stormtroopers like butter. And it's all you ever want to do. I want to do it now.

It looks very good as well. I't astonishing to think that this game is almost 20 years old now. Even today, the Stormtroopers armour still looks neatly smooth. I don't think I've seen a game with better looking Stormtrooper armour. The hilt of the lightsaber is nicely detailed, the beam looks real and the light effects are vivid.

SimCity 3000

• Windows PC
  • Guessed by Jpcc86

One of my early addictions, I played this game a lot. Daily, for entire days. Who cares about school and things. Right up until it got replaced by its vastly superior successor some years later. Still, SimCity 3000 is unforgettable.

The game wasn't the first in franchise I ever played; SimTower was already included in the list and right around the time of that game, there was SimCity 2000. Also great, and I also played it a lot, but it quite limited. SimCity 3000 opened a whole new world of realising your dream cities.

The game has also contributed to my working career in real life, and it influenced what I would go on to study. Through the game, I became interested in urbanism and architecture. I became interested in visiting cities and places. Later, I went on to study architecture, which I am now. Basically, this game changed the course of my life. I wonder what I'd be doing now if I never played this, which is crazy to think.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

• Nintendo 64, GameCube, 3DS
  • Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

It is difficult to come up with a hint in this guessing game for Majora's Mask, because it is so unique. Still unmistakably a Zelda game, and a great follow up to its predecessor, it features so many recognisable things that can only lead to this game. I guess that's a strength.

After such a lauded first game on the Nintendo 64, Nintendo had an uphill battle with its follow-up. The story of how it came to be should be familiar by now, but it's safe to say they did a good job. The follow-up to Breath of the Wild, an equally lauded 'first game', should take notes from Majora's Mask. It's probably no use trying to one-up the predecessor. It's better to make something smaller, yet focussed and unique. I hope they do that.

The big thing is obviously the timer. There's 72 hours of in-game time, which can be slowed to half its speed later on. This was also featured in the game's commercials on tv. I remember having a debate about this with my mother. She thought it said 27 hours and we did a little wager. I won.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 11 December 2020

More!

#20: You can't go out of bounds in this game. Because the game knows you want to, and literally shoots you back in.

#19: The developers clearly had fun making this, because they pasted their own faces on the enemies. Guessed by drbunnig - GoldenEye 007

#18: The timer in this game is 60 minutes, but that's speed running, it'll take longer than 60 minutes.

#17: The design language of this game, notably the famous protagonist and the princess, became the standard for most images representing the franchise for a decade, until the most recent (main) game in the series took over with a new design. Guessed by Kantor - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

#16: Leafs and frogs.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 18 December 2020

mZuzek said:

Can't believe we're getting into the top 20 already, I've barely noticed the days go by. Guess I should really start focusing my time on compiling those lists instead of playing Cyberpunk...

...Well, anyways. Hint for tomorrow.

#20 - In this game, we got the good guy. In this game's sequel, we're about to get the bad guy.

Super Smash Bros. 4?

I'm so smart if this is right.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

More!

#20: You can't go out of bounds in this game. Because the game knows you want to, and literally shoots you back in.

#19: The developers clearly had fun making this, because they pasted their own faces on the enemies.

#18: The timer in this game is 60 minutes, but that's speed running, it'll take longer than 60 minutes.

#17: The design language of this game, notably the famous protagonist and the princess, became the standard for most images representing the franchise for a decade, until the most recent (main) game in the series took over with a new design.

#16: Leafs and frogs.

18) Majora's Mask

17) I feel like this must also be a Zelda game, but there's a lot of variety in the box art. Twilight Princess?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

18) Majora's Mask

17) I feel like this must also be a Zelda game, but there's a lot of variety in the box art. Twilight Princess?

Nah, the timer there's shorter than 60 minutes, but moreover I just posted Majora's Mask as #21 though.

17 is correct, maybe a bit of a questionable hint sure, since none of the games after TP had its style, both handheld and console, but I think it's fair enough to say the look of Link and Zelda, and most enemies had by default TP's likeness when being represented and portrayed elsewhere, up until Breath of the Wild took over this 'default' look.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 12 December 2020

Hinting it up:

22) This game had a lot of controversy at launch and has changed much since. I liked it almost since day 1 though.

Hint 2: The reason I say almost is that the game was pretty much unplayable on day 1 for most people.

21) Hardware based plot twist.

Hint 2: For the DS.

20) Few games have been as dominating in their genre as this.

Hint 2: No need to overthink this, it's a genre were one game has consistently been the most popular since its release.

19) This isn't the first or last appearance in this franchise of a certain happy character, but it is the only time he has a role in the main story.

Hint 2: Despite his name he never really sells anything.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

And hint #4 for this game:

-The main character is a female "Bracer" named Estelle, picks up directly after the first game

-The English language script for this JRPG is longer than the entire Lord of the Rings-trilogy

-Set in the kingdom of Liberl, though events in the neighboring kingdom of Erebonia also have an impact on the events of the game

-Three games from this series have already appeared on my list earlier, overall the second most represented franchise in my top 50

Darashiva said:

And hint #4 for this game:

-The main character is a female "Bracer" named Estelle, picks up directly after the first game

-The English language script for this JRPG is longer than the entire Lord of the Rings-trilogy

-Set in the kingdom of Liberl, though events in the neighboring kingdom of Erebonia also have an impact on the events of the game

-Three games from this series have already appeared on my list earlier, overall the second most represented franchise in my top 50

Trails of Cold Steel IV?

Edit: On second thought maybe it's Trails in the Sky II

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 12 December 2020

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat