@TalonMana few things I think could be considered...a heading for the news....like VGC News, a heading for the charts...like The ChartzAnd a heading for the forum, similar to what is there, but bumped up higher to the top so that all three elements are aligned (I didn't realize there was an ad there in the native viewing, more on that further down the post)I can see that VGC is trying to be (and is) many things at once, but I really feel these elements should be introduced, both for cleanness and to give them the props they deserve.I also think that the bottom of the page should finish cleanly...as it is, all three columns end at different points and it doesn't feel well laid out. This can be accomplish with graphics, spacing, font size changes, or whatever works to make the bottom of the page feel finished and intentionalI'm sure it has been mentioned, but the forum scroll doesn't give you the option to select all the forums. It's like the setting is set to advance full forward or full backOh...and full disclosure, I use an AdBlock (which I'm sure makes my opinion moot) but I just unblocked the ads and to my surprise VGC sits inside a giant ad which makes the main page much smaller and which has a scroll bar where I can only see two inches at a time of the page. Scrolling down doesn't give me full control of the page but just a tiny sliver. And for the record, VGC taught me to use an adblocker back in the day because the ads kept giving me viruses and crashing my computer and I needed my VGC fix so bad that I had to learn about those pesky things that are now the bane of all web based enterprises.I did pay for VGC last year at the Silver level, and would be happy to again...so it's not exactly like I'm completely free loading here, just partially.
- I understand why you would want a heading above the news - but I really don't think it woulld look all that great. It's why there's a larger header between the Top5 and "rest of news" sections - kind of a header for both
- That entire chart section is going away and getting re-done (wish to GOD we could have had it for this upgrade because it probably would have resolve a lot of push back, but we simply ran out of time) - it'll match the other sections, when done
- They will never be aligned that way along the top because you're obviously viewing with an ad-block. That right column is supposed to have an ad at the top.
- I assure you, those three columns will NEVER end evenly - it's impossible for many reasons (first and foremost are the ads, of course). But this is also what happens with responsive design though. Unless you have dedicated pages for mobile and desktop - you wind up with this type of layout which tries to serve both environments and does an "ok" (but not great) job for each. Look at the Hot Topics box itself - because of the length of topics, sometimes it needs two lines - other times, it needs four lines. If I spaced it out so they all accomodated the potential "4-line" post, I would get complaints about too much whitespace - if I were to truncate the topic titles so everything fit a "2-line" post, I would get complaints for chopping the titles. And so, we wind up with a section length that's unpredictable and therefore will be hit or miss of lining up like that, at the end. We went through this on the old front page and could never get all three columns to finish the same way - there was ALWAYS whitespace, period.
- Somebody else mentioned the sensitivity of the scroll arrows - I'll be honest, I've never used them once. When I'm on desktop, I'm scrolling that tab list with my mousewheel - when I'm mobile, I'm sliding with my finger. I can (and will) adjust the sensitivity of those arrows, though. I honestly didn't think many people would actually use them.
- Can't do ANYTHING about the ads - this has been discussed ad nauseam. You can kick, yell, scream, and pitch a fit, and I will do the same along side you - and neither one of us will accomplish anything.
The forum wheel doesn't work. Is that just a me thing? Hot Topics, Latest Topics, T...something, (Then I click to scroll over), Gaming Forum, Website Forum, OffTopic Forum. That's what I get to select from. I don't see any other way to control it from my laptop.
Regarding the ads...I wasn't talking about ads in general, but that the ads cause the frame of VGC to be exactly 3 inches high, and probably six inches wide. This seems like an odd height to have to view charts, text, pictures, etc. I've never encountered another website on the internet that caused this to occur.
I look forward to whatever "redone chart section" looks like, and I'm sure you probably would have wanted it done to your liking before you rolled out this nuts and bolts fix. I look forward to all the upcoming changes and revisions, especially as we head into another console cycle, that brings new users to the site, to the forums, and to all that VGC has to offer.