By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Sequels better than the original

shikamaru317 said:

Off the top of my head:

Film

• Spider-Man 2
  • Star Wars 5 (2nd movie in the series that was released)
  • LOTR: The Two Towers
  • Back to the Future 2 (unpopular opinion I know, most don't think it is as good as the first)
  • Home Alone 2 (another unpopular opinion)
  • Star Trek 2
  • Toy Story 2
  • X-Men 2
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Games

• Halo 2 (unpopular opinion I know)
  • Witcher 2
  • Sonic 2

Why did everyone like The Empire Strikes Back so much? I'll always prefer A New Hope to that one. 

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
shikamaru317 said:

Off the top of my head:

Film

• Spider-Man 2
  • Star Wars 5 (2nd movie in the series that was released)
  • LOTR: The Two Towers
  • Back to the Future 2 (unpopular opinion I know, most don't think it is as good as the first)
  • Home Alone 2 (another unpopular opinion)
  • Star Trek 2
  • Toy Story 2
  • X-Men 2
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Games

• Halo 2 (unpopular opinion I know)
  • Witcher 2
  • Sonic 2

Why did everyone like The Empire Strikes Back so much? I'll always prefer A New Hope to that one. 

Personally?

• I find ANH a tad boring, alot of the movie feels slow, not a fan of the pacing.
  • Luke is a whiny teenager most of the movie
  • Leia comes across as a bit bitchy in ANH, she is like the western equivalent of a tsundere, bitchy at first but she gradually warms up in 5 and then becomes great by 6
  • Lightsaber duel is by far the worst in the series, 2 old guys whacking each other with sticks
  • Action scenes in general are the worst in the series, mostly due to budgetary reasons

Nighthawk117 said:
Here's another: Superman 2 better than Superman 1.

Well The Richard Donner Cut for sure not sure about the regular version.  Haven't seen either version all the way though and haven't seen the first movies in forever also.

Terminator 2
The Dark Knight
The Wrath of Khan (and every other TOS film aside from The Final Frontier).
First Contact (for the TNG films)
The Empire Strikes Back
The Last Jedi (vs. The Force Awakens)
Every Mad Max sequel
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor Ragnarok
Spider-Man 2 (Raimi trilogy)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

While the original Godzilla film from 1954 is probably the best of the series in terms of being a piece of serious (for the time) cinema that serves as a fascinating look at Japanese society's attempt to cope with the trauma of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the Cold Wars arms race, it's not my favourite of the series as I feel some of its successors are more enjoyable as escapist entertainment.

The 2001, 2014, 2016, and 2019 films I find more fun.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

I'm cheating here, because it's not a sequel (it just kind of feels like one to me), but I liked Snatch more than Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I enjoyed both, but I think Snatch is a bit more polished.

I have periods of social disconnection, it's a part of me that I need and keenly embrace. I'll still log in and read news and threads during those times, but I won't be (very) active on the site, so I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause (late answers, bumps or the like).

Also...

Please, feel free to correct my English.